Moving to the Newton Area

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Moving to the Newton Area

    As of now my wife and I are moving to the Newton, KS area; was wondering if there are still any active GW's in the Wichita to Salina areas? We like long walks on the beach, cuddling up with a good book.....WRONG! We like to ride! And I like to ride even more than her!! Any interest out there?
    2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
    USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
    US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
    2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
    2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

    50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

  • #2
    You won't be too far from the Arkansas or the Colorado riding!
    DS#1146 IBA#55800 50CC,BBG, BB1500 x2, SS2K, SS1Kx3 CERTIFIED ALL DS, PGR RC
    2010 Level3 Endeavor Reverse Trike

    Comment: (For off-topic replies)


    • #3
      Originally posted by Pooch View Post
      You won't be too far from the Arkansas or the Colorado riding!
      Looking forward to it!
      2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
      USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
      US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
      2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
      2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

      50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

      Comment: (For off-topic replies)


      • #4
        Happy 4th of July!! Well, we've made it to Kansas!! Hanging out in a Class C RV in the Halstead area waiting to close on a house in Moundridge.

        This weekend will be my first riding days. Anyone interested in putting in 5-6 hours of riding; starting out in this general area?
        2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
        USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
        US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
        2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
        2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

        50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

        Comment: (For off-topic replies)


        • #5
          Clay I hope you and your wife enjoy your new digs and you both get to explore lots of new areas to ride.
          Have a great 4th of July
          Location: Vancouver WA Former name: CAWING '04 GL1800
          When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
          Jimi Hendrix
          Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

          Comment: (For off-topic replies)


          • #6
            Kansas is not a great place to live for riding. I live in NE Kansas and am 400 miles from southern MO, 700 miles from the Rockies, and 500 or so miles from the Black Hills. It gets pretty hot and pretty cold here in addition to lots of flat, boring roads.
            Terry

            DS# 1595
            2008 Honda GL1800
            1980 Suzuki GS850G
            1972 Suzuki GT750
            1973 Honda CB350

            Comment: (For off-topic replies)


            • #7
              Originally posted by networkguy3 View Post
              Kansas is not a great place to live for riding. I live in NE Kansas and am 400 miles from southern MO, 700 miles from the Rockies, and 500 or so miles from the Black Hills. It gets pretty hot and pretty cold here in addition to lots of flat, boring roads.
              I hear'd dat! I have searched out and found some rides worth repeating like in the Council Grove, Alta Vista, Alma areas. I just have to be willing to travel straight lines to get to them. Lord knows I drilled enough holes in southeastern NC (riding circles) that I'll do what I have to to get in my riding. There are some roads over in the Warsaw, MO area I want to check out in the Spring. Holler at me if you happen to get over my way. And thanks for the mechanic suggestion!!
              2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
              USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
              US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
              2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
              2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

              50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

              Comment: (For off-topic replies)


              • #8
                Once a month during the spring/summer/early fall, and I believe it happens on a Sunday, motorcyclist go to the small town of Cassoday, KS. I haven't been in years. There are a lot of folks who show up. Typically, they have a portable (on a trailer) dynamometer 'for your enjoyment,' food vendors, and other vendors. Again, ain't been there since ~2011. But, it is in a decent area to ride. Some twisties and hilly. It is on the western side of the Flint Hills.

                We live in Wichita. Decent roads around here include Thunder Road, between Santa Fe Lakes road and Augusta, Grouse Creek Road heading out of Dexter, and 202 Road (I think that is the number) off of US77 at Strother Field going to Dexter.

                I also like to ride from Douglas east to Latham then turn south (no choice) to Cambridge at US 160 (or 166, I'm brain dead).

                As said earlier, all of the decent roads are in either Colorado or Missouri/Arkansas.

                We are going to Mount Magazine and stay at the Lodge starting this Sunday for a week. It is a state park in Arkansas. It is on the west side of Arkansas and has some really great roads. I rode 'The Pig Trail' from northwestern Arkansas to I40 in October 2010, then mountain roads to Mount Magazine. From Mount Magazine, take the Lodge road south and then when at the bottom of the mountain (really, it's just a big hill), head west towards Oklahoma and ride through the Ouachita National Forrest. Go south through the Indian Reservation Property. Great ride.

                A Map of the Mount Magazine area:




                Cassoday Area:



                Local Dexter Area: Note Grouse Creek Road



                Douglas-Latham-Cambridge-Dexter:


                Humm, the website would not let me upload and post 'Attachments.' So, I uploaded photos. They are in the order above.



                Joe T.

                Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Joe T. View Post
                  Once a month during the spring/summer/early fall, and I believe it happens on a Sunday, motorcyclist go to the small town of Cassoday, KS. I haven't been in years. There are a lot of folks who show up. Typically, they have a portable (on a trailer) dynamometer 'for your enjoyment,' food vendors, and other vendors. Again, ain't been there since ~2011. But, it is in a decent area to ride. Some twisties and hilly. It is on the western side of the Flint Hills.

                  We live in Wichita. Decent roads around here include Thunder Road, between Santa Fe Lakes road and Augusta, Grouse Creek Road heading out of Dexter, and 202 Road (I think that is the number) off of US77 at Strother Field going to Dexter.

                  I also like to ride from Douglas east to Latham then turn south (no choice) to Cambridge at US 160 (or 166, I'm brain dead).

                  As said earlier, all of the decent roads are in either Colorado or Missouri/Arkansas.

                  We are going to Mount Magazine and stay at the Lodge starting this Sunday for a week. It is a state park in Arkansas. It is on the west side of Arkansas and has some really great roads. I rode 'The Pig Trail' from northwestern Arkansas to I40 in October 2010, then mountain roads to Mount Magazine. From Mount Magazine, take the Lodge road south and then when at the bottom of the mountain (really, it's just a big hill), head west towards Oklahoma and ride through the Ouachita National Forrest. Go south through the Indian Reservation Property. Great ride.

                  A Map of the Mount Magazine area:




                  Cassoday Area:



                  Local Dexter Area: Note Grouse Creek Road



                  Douglas-Latham-Cambridge-Dexter:


                  Humm, the website would not let me upload and post 'Attachments.' So, I uploaded photos. They are in the order above.



                  Joe T.
                  Thanks! I've been to the Cassoday Sunday event with my brother-in-law. We got there late so most had already shut down or departed. I'm not far from you. Feel free to holler. I'll PM you my email.
                  2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                  USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                  US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                  2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                  2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

                  50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

                  Comment: (For off-topic replies)

                  Kansas

                  About this Group

                  The Sunflower State
                  Type: Public
                  Topics: 6
                  Comments: 39

                  Group Categories

                  Collapse

                  Latest Group Topics

                  Collapse

                  There are no results that meet this criteria.

                  Working...
                  X