Pingel Electric Shifter Rebuild

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pingel Electric Shifter Rebuild

Hard to believe that my Pingel Electric Shifter has over 185,000 miles on it and untold “cycles” while shifting up and down. The mounting bracket is the original one and now has over 225,000 miles on it. Recently I noticed that the shifter was appearing to “bind” just a bit as it “pivoted” on the mounting bracket, so I decided to take it apart and see if I could clean it up a bit. As it turns out, it was a rather simple clean up and easy to do. I have attached a few photos that should help those who have a Pingel shifter that might be experiencing similar issues after many miles of riding in all conditions.

The plastic chrome cap is easy to remove and do not apply a great deal of pressure otherwise you will crack it (ask me how I know, LOL). Once you get it off, the rest is rather easy to follow along. I used WD 40 to clean it up and was sure to wipe the parts down so as to not leave a buildup. This did improve the “swing” or “pivot” of the shifter on the bracket. Give me a holler if you have any questions.

__________________________________________________ __________

Why sweat the leg thing when I can still ride a Goldwing
    Member of the Hann-Amigo Trio

Do you happen to have any pics of it mounted on your trike? Just curious how it's mounted on the bike. TIA
    DS#1146 IBA#55800 50CC,BBG, BB1500 x2, SS2K, SS1Kx3 CERTIFIED ALL DS, PGR RC
    2010 Level3 Endeavor Reverse Trike BS Driveguard

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by Pooch View Post
      Do you happen to have any pics of it mounted on your trike? Just curious how it's mounted on the bike. TIA

You will need to "look around" the shifter rod that I was making a point about and should be able to see the Pingel and how it is installed and "looks" on the Trike. Hope this helps.

It's really nice to read about a product that performs so well after that many miles in addition to lots more shifting cycles.
        When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
        Jimi Hendrix
        Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

Not to mention that kick-ass color-matched 'jockey shifter'...

Originally posted by kwthom View Post
            Not to mention that kick-ass color-matched 'jockey shifter'...
            Yeah I noticed that......Killer!
            When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
            Jimi Hendrix
            Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

It takes a real rider for sure.

It's a Goldwing so of course it has to be color coordinated, LOL.

Jim, I see that you still have it painted red. When might it be re-painted another color?

Jim, when will the trike be re-painted to another color?

Originally posted by Diesel-Dawg View Post
                      Jim, when will the trike be re-painted to another color?

What color would that be

What color would that be?

Nice looking install on your trike. Just wondering how that setup works?? Not familiar with that product.
                        T.A. Jens
                        The Pizza Man
                        1800 06 White Champion Trike
                        2005 Bunkhouse Camper
                        2006 Breeze Cargo Trailer
                        GWRRA Life Member

Originally posted by Pizza Man View Post
                          Nice looking install on your trike. Just wondering how that setup works?? Not familiar with that product.

Tom, the Pingel is an electric shifter that is a very easy install for most any bike. With the push of a button I can "up pull, or push down" on the shifter to change gears as needed. It's made up in your neck of the woods, WI. There is also a company called Klictronic that makes an electric shifter but it is made in the UK and as far as I know, they only had/have one distributor here in the US. I decided to go with the Pingel because of that and have been very happy with it. As for the "Red" shifter rod, well that was/is a piece of aluminum pool from an old fishing dip net handle that I flattened on end, drilled a hole in it, and wrapped it in Red electrical tape. I keep it in the trunk just in case the shifter acts up on me while out on the road.

Thanks for the info. You are a Goldwing Trikeing Genius !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            T.A. Jens
                            The Pizza Man
                            1800 06 White Champion Trike
                            2005 Bunkhouse Camper
                            2006 Breeze Cargo Trailer
                            GWRRA Life Member

Originally posted by Wheels View Post

What color would that be

What color would that be?
                              Any manly color such as vivid black or silver. Just trying to look out for your reputation!

Any manly color such as vivid black or silver. Just trying to look out for your reputation!

LOL, now imagine that, my having to worry about such a thing.

LOL, now imagine that, my having to worry about such a thing.
                                  well, just trying to look out for you. BTW have you taken your new trike down to Arkansas Church to visit the minister there?

well, just trying to look out for you. BTW have you taken your new trike down to Arkansas Church to visit the minister there?
                                    I might have to fit that in. Hey good to see you posting again. ......is this due to that change in your meds or are you on a new treatment program.

I might have to fit that in. Hey good to see you posting again. ......is this due to that change in your meds or are you on a new treatment program.
                                      No change in my meds. Doctor told me I was tall enough. What about you, are you still taking growth hormones?

You're racking up the miles Wheels. Nice.

I recently ran across Pingel products while searching for a fuel shutoff valve for my soon-to-be-installed aux fuel tank. The research I did on them found MANY people who proclaimed Pingel valves to be the best on the planet. I guess this quality carries over into other stuff they make.
                                        George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page