The Little Red Head has gone in for some surgery....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Little Red Head has gone in for some surgery....

While down in Florida for the past few weeks I had the pleasure of hearing what I believe to be, and the experts concurred, the infamous (you know how Wheels is), sound of the dreaded ADG. Folks that have reported about what it sounds and feels like are right. There is little question that you will know what it is by the sound and the rumble that you can feel while at ideal.

Working with the best advice from those that I trust (Rocky and other good friends), I rode it home, and after 1200 plus miles, from 70 to 34 with some snow thrown in for the last 15 miles, not much changed, which was a good thing. Did I mention that our Gerbins were right where we left them........in Maryland. LOL

Well, it was time to get this big sassy Red Head (is she ever) into the ERC (Emergancy Repair Center) for some corrective surgery. While in Florida I made a few calls, and one in particular struck me given that all I wanted was this repaired and yet the fellow kept saying that there would be a need to "crack the case" and get into the engine. The initial cost of the ADG repair was estimated at near $3,000 and more once he cracked the case. This convinced me that I would be doing the work myself given that as a "clear headed" person, I figured if they can do it, so could I. Well, once I got her home, I remembered that my good friends at Leola Trikes in PA had hired a certified Honda mechanic and he and I are friends on Facebook. On Monday I called the guys at Leola and was surprised to hear that they were ready to do the complete repair for $1,200. It quickly became clear that one: somebody is REALLY charging a great deal for what they do; and two, it made more sense to have my wild little Red Head taken care of by a professional, . . . . . . given that I have no heat in my garage.

So, one more trip for the ole girl up to PA to get a nip tuck done. This will be a first since I have always done things myself, but I did ask if I can sit in on the procedure and learn a few things.

Well, it was a long afternoon for the Red Head. The procedure is moving along nicely and she holding up well (not that the wood and jack are not helping).

Just trying to think what wires I need to run given that I now have all this room to work with. LOL

__________________________________________________ __________

Why sweat the leg thing when I can still ride a Goldwing
    Member of the Hann-Amigo Trio

$1200 seems like a great price to have the ADG repaired. Good luck, and tell the Red Head I wish her the best. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

IBA #57814
    SaddleSore 1075 Miles in 24 hours (certified)
    BunBurner 1632 Miles in 36 hours (certified)
    Prowler #81
    Double Darksider # 792
    Alaska 2012 / 2014

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Sorry to hear about the sassy gal's problem but awful glad you caught a break on the price.
      Richard
      Darksider #390
      Murgie's FAQ

Give that Wild Red Head the best of care or she just might divorce you !!!!
        Hope you get it fixed and then give us a report as I (for one) would be interested in it.
        T.A. Jens
        The Pizza Man
        1800 06 White Champion Trike
        2005 Bunkhouse Camper
        2006 Breeze Cargo Trailer
        GWRRA Life Member

Jim. I tell people you "Better get them before they sober up" with a deal like that!. Glad you found a Wrench you can trust, and trust me. Better him than you pulling the Plastic/Engine and then replacing the ACG ,then reverse what you just did.

For those that know what is involved.

Here is how a ACG replacement starts out.

4 1/2 hours later engine is out and parts put away for the day. (The poor naked wing)

Rear Cover removed and broken pieces of the ACG Collar at the Bottom.

The gap here in the ACG is what happens when the Half Clips fall out after the .026 collar breaks off.

ACG replaced and engine ready to go back in the frame.

Things go back in slower than they came out.

Up and running doing a No-Fluids Leak test before the plastic goes back on.

Life is Tough, But It's Tougher If You're Stupid: "John Wayne"

Looks like a good time to tighten all the hoses

Rocky, again, many thanks for the help over the phone with diagnosing the problem. Really appreciate your efforts and time with this. To look at those pictures makes me shiver just knowing that my Red Head is about ready to look like that......but with more junk in her trunk.

Wheels,

Sorry to hear about Lil Red's problem but glad you're getting her back up and running more reasonably than with the Florida scalper. Her long lost big brother below is anxious to meet her. When I see you I'll tell you a real horror story about my red boy. Ride Safe. Doc

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bama Hannigan 2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	36557

2014 Hannigan

Originally posted by Doc View Post
                  [ATTACH]temp_1981_1418920315828_780[/ATTACH] Wheels,

Sorry to hear about Lil Red's problem but glad you're getting her back up and running more reasonably than with the Florida scalper. Her long lost big brother below is anxious to meet her. When I see you I'll tell you a real horror story about my red boy. Ride Safe. Doc

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n36557[/ATTACH]

Looking forward to catching up with you buddy.

Well the surgery was a little more complicated than expected. The doctor found a leaky water pump which was not anticipated. But the good news is that the feisty Red Head has the worst behind her and is ready for recovery.

The Engine is out.

Yep, it's leaking.

The alternator lives in the hole on the top left corner of the back of the engine and the dreaded ADG is hiding in the shadows just behind the case.

And finally, there it is..........that wascally wabbit the ADG after the rear case has been pulled in the upper left corner.

And of course, the little bits and pieces of what once held it in place along with a close up of what the wear of the springs looks like on the case, which of course creates the "rattle."

But all is not lost, as the "right tools" arrived to make it all much easier to deal with.

• Doc
                      Doc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Jim,

Great pics. Thanks. Doc

Very interesting as I've never seen the inside of the motor or even what the area looks like with all the tupper wear removed.
                    T.A. Jens
                    The Pizza Man
                    1800 06 White Champion Trike
                    2005 Bunkhouse Camper
                    2006 Breeze Cargo Trailer
                    GWRRA Life Member

Jim,
                      It looks like you are making good progress. You are another of my heroes. I really like to wrench on the bike and have done all my own work (except rear drive and clutch replacement when I was in CA with no tools or garage). But you tackling the biggest job of all demonstrates your abilities. Having Rocky available as a consultant is a nice safety net, but you are still doing the work.
                      Please keep the pictures and stories coming. They are terribly interesting and informative. Wish I lived closer and could come over and watch. I'm good at getting and handing tools and more importantly getting you another doughnut.
                      Please promise that you will do an overall report with pictures on the whole project. It will be an amazingly interesting and valuable resource for all of us who look up to you.

Not to hijack thread, but it appears in the picture of the original post that your front tire is badly scalloped. Is this the light/shadows or what?

Originally posted by mhgoldwing View Post
                          Not to hijack thread, but it appears in the picture of the original post that your front tire is badly scalloped. Is this the light/shadows or what?

It's the picture. There is some cupping, as I have reported regarding the HMS 180, but not much has changed since I switched to Dyna Beads and I am now running the tire at 38 to see what that might do. I found that I had lost wheel weights and switched to the beads. Of course I have gone into more detail on Trike Talk about this, having responded to the questions that were raised there. My post is right under yours there. Stay tuned as I will be reporting on the 30,000 mile findings of this great set up.

You know, as much as I like Goldwings, (and I really do like the way they look), they are one ugly piece of machinery when the plastic is all gone.

Pull the engine and they're downright pitiful.
                            2012 Honda Goldwing | 2009 Timeout Camper

Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 | IBA member #59823

Are you going to use Rockies spring retainer or omc. I do have a fuzzy memory but If I remember right Rocky made a fix for the retainer clip?

Rocky does have an upgraded fix for the clip. The shop has installed the ADG, so I will cross my fingers that this feisty Red Head does not get bent out of shape again.

Wheels, be careful when you get her back on the road as she will probably be pi$$ed that you got in her innards and then had the nerve to post pics of her while she was naked. You know how some of these women can react.
                                  Location: Vancouver WA Former name: CAWING '04 GL1800
                                  When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
                                  Jimi Hendrix
                                  Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

Originally posted by RoadRat View Post
                                    Wheels, be careful when you get her back on the road as she will probably be pi$$ed that you got in her innards and then had the nerve to post pics of her while she was naked. You know how some of these women can react.

LOL....no worries as she is an exhibitionist. She loves showing off.

Originally posted by mhgoldwing View Post

I noticed the wear pattern on your front tire also. Do some trike owners run car tires on the front also? Just curious.

Rayjoe

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page