Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not too old...

So many times I read about someone that thinks they are too old to ride a two wheel motorcycle. Maybe for some folks that's a true statement, however, for me, it's nowhere near accurate. I converted my '06 GL1800 to a Roadsmith trike last October because I wanted to. Call me crazy but it's been a great decision for me.
    Captain Roadsmith, Northwest Indiana
    '06 Wing / Roadsmith HT1800

As long as you are "in the wind" it doesn't matter how you get there. Great job!
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I agree, I triked mine and have never regretted it. Have some damage to my knees and hips from my career but could still 2 wheel it. I decided to do it for comfort and peace of mind after my wife admitted she had been uncomfortable with my performance for some time. I just assumed she was talking about my bike riding skills....:confused:

I bought my Champion Trike as a retirement present to myself. We had talked about it for a few years and made the purchase.
        Best thing I ever did as we are now more comfortable when riding on short and long trips.
        T.A. Jens
        The Pizza Man
        1800 06 White Champion Trike
        2005 Bunkhouse Camper
        2006 Breeze Cargo Trailer
        GWRRA Life Member

Road Smith triker here, riding two wheels for 45 years, so it was time in January 2012 to move to 3, plus after 12 years as a windower, I now have a co-pilot. Life is good.

wish i had done it sooner, like the stability and comfort. plus more space to store stuff and more real estate for farkles

I developed some balance issues after my cochlear implant surgeries and a trike was the answer for me and my wife. We love it!
              It took a little while to get used to it but it's so dang easy to ride I plan on having it for a long time!
              Now, if I could get rid of my blackout spells I would feel better. So far the only way I can overcome those is to drink about a quart of whiskey before we leave.
              Just kidding! I don't drink or have blackouts!
              2012 Goldwing CSC Viper Trike
              Retired MSF Instructor

I moved from a muscle sport bike (ZRX 1200R) to a Wing because I still love to ride, but I could no longer take the riding position that bike put me in. Legs would kill me 45-60 minutes into a ride.
                It is nice to know that as I get older I have options to continue to ride even if I can no longer hold the bike up.

Keep the shiny side up and keep adding smiles to your life as you ride :toast:

Originally posted by Captain Roadsmith View Post
                  So many times I read about someone that thinks they are too old to ride a two wheel motorcycle. Maybe for some folks that's a true statement, however, for me, it's nowhere near accurate. I converted my '06 GL1800 to a Roadsmith trike last October because I wanted to. Call me crazy but it's been a great decision for me.
                  I agree!!!! Got my first trike at age 48. Am now over 60 and never looked back. Well I do occasionally look back to see if any of my riding buddies on two wheels have caught up with me yet.
                  It tends to hurt their feelings when I have to slow down for them. Just kidding! Converting to a Trike was something that I thought long and hard about but once reaching the decision I have never regretted it. Still ride 2 wheels occasionally and enjoy it, but there ain't nothing like riding the twisties on my trike!

We got our trike because we got tired of falling over with the 1500. So far, with the new trike, we have not fallen over.
                    www.TrikeTravelers.com

Definitely NOT sure going to a trike has anything to do with age. Several younger couples in our clubs with 1800 trikes. No reason for us to ever go back to two wheels.

I still ride on 2 wheels and enjoy the the ease in the turns. However the the long distance rides with Sharon plus pulling a trailer are just as enjoyable on our trike.

Pondering a Hannigan for my 2012, damn near cost as much as the bike. However, at 59 with military hips and back I think it's a good idea. Besides, I can carry more gear to the campsite.

I already had my one post, but you're gonna be happy with your Hannigan, Road Smith, or whatever choice, just make a good choice on the installer if you can. There will be those detractors about the trike, but if you want to extend your riding years, it's the way to go. Over on the 'other forum' there's this one rider that seemingly takes joy in degrading the trike rider, and we all know the talking points; I gave him as good as he gave, maybe he's even on this forum as well. But I'm not letting that slide, no way.

I went to a trike not because I had to but it felt like the right thing to do. I had no health issues, just felt right and I could not be happier. I am so much more comfortable now than I have every been riding.

After many, many years of riding Gold Wings (my first wing was a 1977), I finally decided to go the trike route. Not because I could no longer handle two wheels but because I wanted to. I had been told for a number of years that "you ought to try riding one". I kept refusing. Now I own my 2003 Wing with a Roadsmith kit and I like it more and more, the more I ride. And in the twisties, it's more fun and I have to slow down for my son or I would be crawling up his tailpipe. Man do I love that trike. Best decision I made. BTW, I'm 70 years old. One item of advice for anyone thinking about triking.....be sure your trike has a rake kit. It makes a huge difference in your ride enjoyment.
                                Jaap and Jeri Kroes
                                Hamradio Call Sign KR0ES
                                2003 GL1800 with Roadsmith Trike Kit
                                Previous rides too numerous to mention.

Ride what makes YOU happy

I know next spring when I get my blue 2012 Goldwing triked with a Roadsmith, people are going to think I can't ride on two wheels
                                    anymore, but that isn't the case.
                                    I love my two wheels and that's is the reason this decision to trike it was really hard to make.

Maybe that's the reason many own two rides, one on two wheels, the other on three wheels.

After Back surgary Triked the Wing.
                                      Gravel parking lots,greasy stop lights,difficult down hill stops with a tight turn in the rain
                                      are a piece of cake.

I sometimes think that I would like to dive into a corner on two wheels with the back tire almost chattering.
                                      But reactions of a seventy year old rider plus reflexes and old bones are not a good combo

I have beat my knee's up pretty good over the years in fire rescue and had the opportunity to buy a trike and haven't had a regret yet.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page