Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michelin MPA Tire Cupping

I've got about 6K miles on my MPA tire mounted in reverse on my Roadsmith HT1800 trike. Ive been using 40 PSI since it was installed. This morning, I noticed some cupping just like the E3 used to do when it was a two wheeler. Has anyone else had the MPA tire show cupping? How about the people that use the BT45 tire...Any cupping?
    Captain Roadsmith, Northwest Indiana
    '06 Wing / Roadsmith HT1800

First one I heard that cupped.
    I use the MPA rear tire mounted in reverse at 40 psi.
    I'm on my 2nd one.
    1st one I got 25,000 miles on with no cupping. I put a new one on due to a long trip.
    This one has about 15,000 and no cupping.
    T.A. Jens
    The Pizza Man
    1800 06 White Champion Trike
    2005 Bunkhouse Camper
    2006 Breeze Cargo Trailer
    GWRRA Life Member

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

CR, prior to getting my Hannigan with the new front end, I ran several MPA's on my Motor Trike. Each cupped and I ran 41 in them, BUT, I relied on the wheel weights from when each was installed and balanced. I settled in with the BT 45 and over the course of the 178,000 miles I went through a few BT45's. None of them cupped, or "buzzed." I did not have a rake, nor did I use Dyna Beads. I ran them both forward and backward and it did not seem to matter. With each tire, I would get about 34-36,000 out of them. I like the BT45 a bunch. I would get good milage out of the MPA, but they always cupped and buzzed.
      __________________________________________________ __________

Why sweat the leg thing when I can still ride a Goldwing
      Member of the Hann-Amigo Trio

As posted in another thread. I am getting some buzz with the MPA. 10,000 miles so far

I have ran both tires some cupped and some didn't, who knows why. I've always heard don't buy a new car built on Friday, maybe it's the same with tires. I quit the MPAs because of the buzz in the ends of the handlebars and the road noise. That being said, I've seen perfectly good looking BT45s crack between the tread, so there is no perfect tire. the old Deacon of Dirt, Charley
          Member of the Hann-Amigo Trio
          Member of the Stone Pony's

Originally posted by Missouri Charley View Post
            I have ran both tires some cupped and some didn't, who knows why. I've always heard don't buy a new car built on Friday, maybe it's the same with tires. I quit the MPAs because of the buzz in the ends of the handlebars and the road noise. That being said, I've seen perfectly good looking BT45s crack between the tread, so there is no perfect tire. the old Deacon of Dirt, Charley
            Ditto what Charley posted. I've ran both type , and had mixed results. The last BT45 I ran developed a crack in the thread after 10,000 miles. the best milage i've gotten from any tire is about 23,000 miles. Probably low due to my riding style. I just buy a new tire as I need them.

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
              CR, prior to getting my Hannigan with the new front end, I ran several MPA's on my Motor Trike. Each cupped and I ran 41 in them, BUT, I relied on the wheel weights from when each was installed and balanced. I settled in with the BT 45 and over the course of the 178,000 miles I went through a few BT45's. None of them cupped, or "buzzed." I did not have a rake, nor did I use Dyna Beads. I ran them both forward and backward and it did not seem to matter. With each tire, I would get about 34-36,000 out of them. I like the BT45 a bunch. I would get good milage out of the MPA, but they always cupped and buzzed.
              Not as many miles as Wheels but the same experience. I ran two MPAs and both cupped badly. I have run three BT45s with much better performance. No buzzing and very little if any cupping.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page