Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20,000 Mile Update on my Hannigan Font End

Recently I turned over 20,000 miles on my new front end and thought I would share here where things are with the Hannigan front end that I have.

A new tire, when measured with the same tread gauge, came in at 8.5MM for tread depth. When I tested/checked at the 10,000 mile mark, I had worn the tire down to 8MM, thus losing .5MM while riding. A bunch of those miles were done while I was not doing much "aggressive" riding as I was still getting use to the new trike, and front end set up.

The last 10,000 miles has seen my trike at places like The Dragon (a few runs), the Cherohala Skyway, Bryson City and the Smokey Mountains, West Virginia, along with simply "enjoying" the trike more now that I am comfortable with it. As such, you can see that the Tread Gauge shows that I took the tire down to right around 7MM, thus took off 1MM over the last 10,000 miles of what I would say is more like my "normal" riding.

In this picture, you can see that the tire still has no real visible signs of getting a "flat spot" down the middle of it, and still has a rounded look to it. You can see, however, that there is just a peak of cupping and I think this may have come about due to my losing a few stick on wheel weights. I plan to add Dyna Beads to the tire soon to see if this has any bearing on tire wear and reduces/limits the cupping. Will know more over the next 10,000 miles.

I took this shot to show just how good the tire still looks at this point. Those that know and have ridden with me know that I am not babying this tire and have really been putting it through it's paces with many different extremes, road surfaces, and conditions. I must say that I remain very pleased with the overall configuration and how the trike handles. It looks good at this point that this front tire may well get 40-50,000 miles out of it. Time and a little more riding well tell.

__________________________________________________ __________

Why sweat the leg thing when I can still ride a Goldwing
    Member of the Hann-Amigo Trio

Tire looks like there is a lot of miles left in it. I don't see any cupping. What brand tire? Keep us informed on the tire.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I am following your experience with the front end as I am not happy with the harshness of my current front end (stock w/rake) on my CSC Cobra XL.

Headed to Nashville for GWRRA event then to Charlotte and Myrtle Beach. Should have a better view on front tire wear upon returning.

I had my new Hannigan front end installed last week and all I can say is "fantastic". The trike no longer tries to follow the groves on wore out blacktop roads, kinda like power steering. So far I'm likening it.
          Member of the Stone Pony's

Originally posted by Missouri Charley View Post
            I had my new Hannigan front end installed last week and all I can say is "fantastic". The trike no longer tries to follow the groves on wore out blacktop roads, kinda like power steering. So far I'm likening it.
            Well, there goes the neighborhood, LOL This place will let ANYONE join. Well, there are now two of the Hann-Amigo Trio on board, so we need to get the other one out of those nick/nack boxes and back to doing what us men do and leave that other stuff to the women folk (please don't tell his lovely bride that I typed this, LOL).

I really think you are going to enjoy that new Hannigan front end Charlie and will be glad to hear your accounts of it as well.

Hey Fire Trike, I see that you are a Traveling Man. Would be my pleasure to put a handshake on a Brother, and given that I soon will be traveling south, look for another Red Trike on 95. Please be sure to use all 5 fingers when waving back. LOL

Happy to hear the new front end is working great for each of you.
              T.A. Jens
              The Pizza Man
              1800 06 White Champion Trike
              2005 Bunkhouse Camper
              2006 Breeze Cargo Trailer
              GWRRA Life Member

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
                Well, there goes the neighborhood, LOL This place will let ANYONE join. Well, there are now two of the Hann-Amigo Trio on board, so we need to get the other one out of those nick/nack boxes and back to doing what us men do and leave that other stuff to the women folk (please don't tell his lovely bride that I typed this, LOL).
                I really think you are going to enjoy that new Hannigan front end Charlie and will be glad to hear your accounts of it as well.
                Hey Fire Trike, I see that you are a Traveling Man. Would be my pleasure to put a handshake on a Brother, and given that I soon will be traveling south, look for another Red Trike on 95. Please be sure to use all 5 fingers when waving back. LOL
                Wheels,
                how far down 95 are you traveling? I am only 6 miles from Gympy's house in Silver Springs,. infact when you went to Gympys
                place last year you drove right by my place and didn't even say hI, and I had a dozen and a half chocklet donuts here at the time.
                Jack & Jolene on a GL1800/Champion Trike out of Silver Springs, FL.

Originally posted by jhuddle View Post
                  . . . a dozen and a half chocklet donuts here at the time.
                  Say no more buddy. I'll give you a holler. I'll bring the napkins.

Question: Other than sit on one with this fancy front end,I have no experience with it, how does it handle in the curves. More or less effort or about the same? Does the power steering effect become noticeable when you are playing a bit?

That big front tire sticks in the curves like its glued there. It is much easier to steer through the curves, not as much muscle needed. If you come to Nashville for the trike gathering you are welcome to ride mine or Wheels or Randalls. LOL
                      Member of the Stone Pony's

Originally posted by Missouri Charley View Post
                        That big front tire sticks in the curves like its glued there. It is much easier to steer through the curves, not as much muscle needed. If you come to Nashville for the trike gathering you are welcome to ride mine or Wheels or Randalls. LOL
                        That is what I was hoping for, I guess I will have to raise the price of eggs.............Lol.

Originally posted by Kit Carson View Post

That is what I was hoping for, I guess I will have to raise the price of eggs.............Lol.
                          You are welcome to ride mine anytime, however I do prefer some bacon with my eggs, but have switched to whole-wheat as I am trying to watch my weight.

Wheels, Kit, nice to see you guys over here. That 'other' forum is getting, well you know. That new Hannigan front end must be a real winner that will get some major miles on that tire. What size front tire is that running?

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page