Repairing a broken trunk hinge mount

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GL1800 (Any Year): Repairing a broken trunk hinge mount

While shooting a new video recently for SoCalMotoGear.com, I was surprised and shocked when I opened my trunk lid on my 2012 Goldwing only to have the right side of the trunk basically fall off in my hands! At first, I though the right side hinge had broken, but upon inspection, I discovered that all three mounting points, which are ABS plastic, we broken. The hinge appeared to be in good condition.

Click image for larger version  Name:	TrunkBusted.jpg Views:	3 Size:	352.9 KB ID:	87490
    Click on image to see full size

Having never disassembled the trunk lid completely, my initial fear was that these mounting points were molded into the trunk lid itself and that the entire lid would have to be replaced. Imagine my relief when I learned that there is a replacement part available for under $50 from Honda! And, with Rocky's help, I was able to do the repair myself.

Here is the Honda SKU for the replacement part: 82310-MCA-A60ZA BODY, R. *NH1* (Note: if the part is on the left side of the bike, it is BODY, L)

Click image for larger version  Name:	TrunkSKU.jpg Views:	2 Size:	405.9 KB ID:	87492

Here is a photo of the piece after removed from the bike. You can more clearly see the broken tabs:

Click image for larger version  Name:	TrunkBroken.jpg Views:	2 Size:	569.0 KB ID:	87494

HOW AND WHY DID THIS HAPPEN?

I think there are several contributing factors. One is design. The use of plastic mounting tabs molded into this base is certainly not the strongest method of attaching the hinge. Then there is time; I ride my bike almost every day, so since 2011, I have undoubtedly opened and closed the trunk lid hundreds or possibly thousands of times. Everything wears out eventually. And, I should note, I am very careful to gently open and close my trunk lid. However, the most likely factor is WEIGHT. I have a spoiler mounted to my trunk as well as a fairly heavy luggage rack. That makes my trunk lid more than twice as heavy as a factory lid. Honestly, I always paid more attention to carefully CLOSING the trunk lid (for fear from cracks around luggage rack mounting points) than I did OPENING the lid. And, the mounting points failed when I opened the lid. Each time I opened the lid, stress was placed on the hinge itself and the mounting tabs. I am just taking a wild-ass guess that most of these fail on bikes with luggage racks attached.

HOW TO FIX THIS

Again, you can make this repair yourself, at home. It is helpful if you have a helper to hold the trunk lid steady during the repair so that you don't place any torque pressure on the remaining "good" hinge. I will elaborate on the steps that Rocky outlined for me and add some photos as well. Unfortunately, I could not video the repair process since I was doing this alone and had to hold the trunk lid steady while attaching fasteners.

1. Remove the trunk inner liner - remove the 15 self-tapping screws. Remove the 4 longer screws that hold in the trunk strikers (latch loops). Make sure to keep these screws separate from the 15 trunk liner screws. If you inadvertently screw one of the longer screws into the trunk lid liner, the screw will penetrate the trunk lid and screw up your nice paint job!

2. Remove the 2 longer Phillips screws from inside the trunk liner - There are 5 screws that hold the speaker enclosure in place, but two of them are longer screws and are accessed from the underside of the trunk lid. The three "exterior" screws are smaller (see photo below), so keep them separated from the longer screws. Again, they all need to go back in the proper place.

Click image for larger version  Name:	TrunkFix2.jpg Views:	3 Size:	510.0 KB ID:	87497

3. Remove the 3 smaller exterior Phillips screws (with trunk in closed position) The speaker enclosure will come free once you remove the last screw. Carefully lift the speaker enclosure away from the base and disconnect the two speaker wire connectors.

4. Feed the speaker wire (A) through the base - You will need to force the rubber grommet down through the opening and into the trunk area.

5. Remove the 3 - 5mm Allen bolts (B) - holding the hinge (C) to the base and keep separate. Be careful that none of the broken plastic bits fall into the abyss.

Click image for larger version  Name:	TrunkHingPoints.jpg Views:	2 Size:	571.8 KB ID:	87501

6. Remove the two 5mm Buttonhead Allen Bolts (see below)

Click image for larger version  Name:	TrunkFix3.jpg Views:	2 Size:	499.6 KB ID:	87499

With these two bolts removed, the plastic "base" will come free.

Install everything in reverse order, starting with the two Allen bolts holding the new base in place.

HOW TO PREVENT THIS FROM HAPPENING

Is there any way to prevent these hinge mounts from breaking. Well, there are a few precautions you can take.

1. Be just as careful OPENING your trunk lid as you are CLOSING it. This is especially important if you have a luggage rack mounted to your trunk lid. Be aware of wind that could catch your trunk lid and violently force it in the open position. Remember, once the metal hinges are at their full open position, ALL OF THE STRESS IS ON THE PLASTIC TABS!

2. Support your trunk lid when open. I have found that if I tilt my Utopia backrest just right, it will support the trunk lid when open. I used to leave my trunk lid open overnight in the garage. All of that weight was continually putting stress on those plastic hinge mounts. Now, I leave my trunk closed overnight.

Click image for larger version  Name:	TrunkSupport.jpg Views:	2 Size:	358.5 KB ID:	87503

3. Don't overstuff your trunk. If the contents of your trunk rise above top of the lowest point on the inner trunk liner, this can cause additional stress on the hinge mounts. If you have a hard time closing your trunk, you probably need to remove some stuff.

Also, remember that the more weight on the trunk lid, the more stress is being placed on the mounting tabs. If you have luggage tied down to the luggage rack, be EXTREMELY CAREFUL when opening the lid. In fact, remove any luggage from the rack BEFORE opening the lid, would be my suggestion.

As a result of this experience, I will probably NOT mount a luggage rack to any future Goldwing. Basically, the trunk lid is simply not engineered to take the additional weight.

Thanks again to Rocky for sending me the steps necessary to make this repair!

Attached Files
    Last edited by Cruiseman; 11-22-2017, 08:04 AM.
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Thanks, Chris! Nice thread to find later when the unforeseeable happens. Kudos for the effort; both this one and your overall contribution to the Goldwing community!!
    2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
    USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
    US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
    2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
    2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I updated the original post with some additional information.
      GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
      Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

The same thing happened to me with the right hinge on my 2012 a few months ago. I ordered the parts and replaced it myself. I used a bungee cord from a hook in the ceiling of the garage to the trunk lid to support it.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page