Final drive gear went bad on '03 with 51K on the bike over the weekend.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final drive gear went bad on '03 with 51K on the bike over the weekend.

I saw dark fluid on the right side of the rear tire after coming back from a ride. Further investigation revealed it was dripping from the weep hole at the bottom of the final drive. Never had that before. I, religiously, change the final drive fluid, Honda recommended, every year at the beginning of the ridding season.

I then drained the gear case fluid and examined the fluid in the pan. What I observed was silver shavings, like metal flaking very thin but easily recognizable.

Doing searches I discovered that the dripping of the final drive fluid from the weep hole, at the bottom of the gear case, was an indicator of the seal gone bad and that the silver shavings were even a more ominous indicator of the inner workings of the final drive going bad.

I basically had two choices at this point. First, have the local dealership do the work and pay with my first and second born children, Second, order either new or used final drive and do the install myself. I chose the second and after comparing the prices of a new final drive v. a used final drive, I chose to buy a used one.

I searched the net and came up with a used final drive off a 2016 GL1800, it had a couple mile on it before it was triked. The price was higher than others but having only a few miles on it and coming from a 2016, I thought what the heck.

Further reading revealed that the u-joint can go bad, so I decided to replace that also, so at least I can feel that from the engine back I have new parts. I then became aware that the shaft is a different length on 2006 and newer than 2005 and prior.

Now I just have to waiting for the parts to come. I'll be able to put my bike lift to further use.

Be cognizant of any fluid dark in color and smells like gear lube at the bottom of your gear case or on your tire. One guy said that he had one go bad at 40+K miles

Then I find out that there are a lot of Wing owners buying these final drives and putting them on their garage shelf in case they have one go bad. Parts is parts. I guess I will be shopping for more parts to store in case anything else goes bad.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

40200-MCA-010 SHAFT, PROPELLER

Just waiting patiently having a beer or two and cutting grass.
    "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Honda M-77 paste replaced the Honda M-60. Has anyone come across a better product than the M-77 or is that the best for the splines?

My final drive let go after 161,000 miles. Another new-to-him rider I know had one let go at 190,000. Seems they have a definite lifespan that is shorter than the engine's. I also replaced it with one that was from a practically unused one that was a pull from a new bike that had been triked.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page