Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mushy Front Brakes

Have a trike, so brake line going from rear brakes to the secondary brake master on the front wheel is disconnected.

I rented a trike 2012 (mine was in the shop) that had 24K on the clock on the front brakes were spectacular. Just pull them a little and there was a lot of stopping power.

Back to my trike, an '08 without air bags. I have 85K on the clock. The front brakes have been flushed and bled and the right pads just (25 miles ago) replaced and left pads have a lot of meat on them.

No matter what I do, my brakes are not at good as the rental - - a long ways from it. Dealership tech thought because the brake lines are 7 years old, they may have some give in them and should be replaced. (I don't believe any kind of mumbo jumbo as that.) The best way to describe it, even if I pull down quite hard on brake lever (I can get it within about 1/4 in. of the grip) it does not grab hard. If fact, on good clean pavement, I don't think I can lock up the wheel, though I never would want to do it.

Front disks are a little "rough," but two different techs have told me they are "all right." Last spring I went down metal-to-metal on the left set of pads, but when new pads were put on, the tech said the disks would do.

I'm grasping for straws. I really would like to know what might be wrong? Sorry I can't photograph the disks as there are disk covers on my trike, and the weather is not conducive to getting out in the street and removing the covers.

Any ideas on what may be wrong or what to check next.

+ + + '08 Wing with 2011 Roadsmith

* * Vietnam Vet * * * Saddlesore 1000 * * * N8HDW

If you want to do something, do it now!

I'd guess you still have air in the lines. Search for the Rocky bleed, and make sure you get all the air out. Other possibility is you're actually low on fluid, but I'm sure you've checked this out.
    Costa Mesa, CA
    2012 RED GL1800

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Here you go:
      http://www.theglforum.com/forum/mess...d-at-same-time

I'd start with that, and maybe someone with other ideas will chime in as well.
      Costa Mesa, CA
      2012 RED GL1800

I looked at the procedure that is outlined in posting #3 above, and I wonder if I have to have all the Tupperware off to get to this junction block that is mentioned in step #6. I looked up that hose coming up from the secondary master cylinder, and I'm not sure it is even converted. When a trike is converted, the Roadsmith directions have the hose coming from the rear brake line/rear brake cylinder to be completely disconnected. I believe the hoses are capped off. I've sent Rocky an EM and I'll check his response.

+ + + '08 Wing with 2011 Roadsmith

* * Vietnam Vet * * * Saddlesore 1000 * * * N8HDW

If you want to do something, do it now!

I don't think the Rocky bleed will help the front brakes. Isn't that on the line that goes to the rear brakes when the front brake is applied? (By that, I mean: Applying the front brake activates the secondary master cylinder, which in turn activates a portion of the rear brake. The Rocky bleed is on that line.)
          White '08 Navi
          SW OH

Originally posted by Blueribbon View Post
            I looked at the procedure that is outlined in posting #3 above, and I wonder if I have to have all the Tupperware off to get to this junction block that is mentioned in step #6. I looked up that hose coming up from the secondary master cylinder, and I'm not sure it is even converted. When a trike is converted, the Roadsmith directions have the hose coming from the rear brake line/rear brake cylinder to be completely disconnected. I believe the hoses are capped off. I've sent Rocky an EM and I'll check his response.
            I believe the step 6 is right next to the tripletree, so I don't think you need to remove any tupperware, but I would defer to Rocky. Also, I'm not familiar with the changes made when converting to a trike, but I wanted to throw some quick things to try in case they helped.
            Costa Mesa, CA
            2012 RED GL1800

The front brake being mushy is due to AIR in that system. (Front Master Cyl) Start with bleeding the hand brake master cyl and then continue to each of the front calipers as outlined in the service manual (see Rocky bleed instructions)

The front master has nothing to do with the "Rocky Bleed method".

Life is Tough, But It's Tougher If You're Stupid: "John Wayne"

Not sure what changes triking made but you should look for any blocks in the brake circuit up hill from your front calipers, You might still find one that trapped a bubble. I bought a hinged flare nut wrench to work the Rocky bleed points up inside the front of the fairing, I can reach mine up the fork tunnel. Surely you've attacked the flush and bleed approach for the front brake circuit by now, but one more thing to consider... If you've ever blown a fork seal you may still have fork oil blowing in and around under your fender and on your rotors and brake pads, Recently I had a seal get grimed up and leak a bit, not much but what a mess. I pulled the fender and caliper covers then went to town with brake cleaner and rags to soak everything out then sprayed again followed by am intense pressure wash. I had already wiped everything down and tried the car wash but there was oil in places I surely couldn't reach with the sprayer. I had 119k miles at the time and brakes haven't been a problem since (122k now). I thought I'd cleaned up after repairing the seal but I found oil blown in every nook and cranny and it was my problem een though I couldn't see or feel it. Might check the fork seals while you're at it.
                Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
                2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 110k miles
                Retired Air Force "Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page