Burning Oil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning Oil

Three weeks ago I changed my oil & filter before going on a 2400 mile trip through the New England states. I added 1 gal of oil and checked it a few times before leaving. When I returned I started the bike to move it and there was a very loud clacking sound. I revved the bike a bit and the sound went away. I checked the oil and I had to screw in the dip stick for it to read. The bike does not leak a drop and the engine is clean and dry. I talked the mechanic at the local Honda/Harley dealer and he said it would be normal to burn a quart of oil on such a long trip and the noise was likely a hydraulic lifter. My bike is a 2009 with 42000 miles and never used any oil between changes (every 4 to 5000 miles).
    I would like to get this resolved as I have extended warranty until next April but winter is coming soon in the north.
    Anyone have a similar issue? Any comments or sugestions would be appreciated.
    Ross
    2009 Silver Airbag
    Bathurst, NB Canada

A quart on a 2400 mile trip seems a bit excessive to me. I have ridden 4,600 miles on a road trip and did not burn a quart.
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

No way. My 06 has 150K miles burns a few ounces in 10-14K miles between changes. I also send the oil to Blackstone twice a year to make sure of the health of the engine.

I admit I never check oil level on the bike but I do measure the oil when I change it (because I pour it back into the containers the new oil comes in),

I put 250K on a GL1500, ran it 10-14K between changes, never checked the oil, it is still running today.

A quart in 2400 miles is normal for my '59 Panhead but not normal for a GL1800.

What oil & Filter you using? I haven't used a qt. of oil since mine was new..... Now a Harley using oil that could be but that's using a lot of oil.... Any oil dripped under the bike? Even if it was over-filled there's no place other than the ground for it to go..... Now if the oil plug was loose or the filter was cross threaded but the pressure should push it out on the ground.... a clanking sound does not sound good.... under warranty I'd get it checked out..... doesn't sound good.... Maybe wrong oil or to constrictive filter? ?????
        Retired, Lifetime NRA, IBA #5831, AMA Lifer, HOG Lifer, Gypsy Tour Rider

"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Did you happen to let the bike sit overnight and check it again. I find that it takes a good while for the oil to level out after being run.
          Also, I think you need to talk to a different mechanic. The GL1800 does not have hydraulic lifters and that much oil consumption is not normal either.

• srt8-in-largo
            srt8-in-largo commented
            Editing a comment
            I think the GL1500 had hydraulic lifters... but they decided not use them on the GL1800 for a reason that escapes me at the moment.

Ross, you have broached an interesting topic for the gl1800. I do agree that a quart in 2400 miles is extremely excessive and that leads me to ask what procedure you used in checking the oil. The owners manual tells you this:
          1) Remove the right engine side cover.
          2) Start the engine and let it idle for 3 5 minutes. Make sure the low oil
          pressure indicator goes off. If the indicator remains on, stop the engine
          immediately.
          3) Stop the engine and wait 2 3 minutes.
          4) Remove the oil filler cap/dipstick and wipe it clean.
          5) Insert the dipstick until it seats, but don’t screw it in.
          6) Remove the dipstick and check the oil level.
          • If the oil is at or near the upper level mark you do not have to add oil.
          • If the oil is below or near the lower level mark add the recommended oil until it reaches the upper level mark. (Do not overfill.)
          7) Reinstall the oil filler cap/dipstick.
          8) Reinstall the right engine side cover.
          9) Check for oil leaks.

This procedure has been the cause for much argument and debate. I think the procedure is accurate, but very ambiguous.

I have read that the amount of oil needed to bring the oil level from the low mark to the high mark is approximately 4 ounces.

Don't ask me how I know this .....one thing is relatively certain, if you arbitrarily add oil to bring it up to the upper mark on the stick, you will likely overfill it. I had to siphon out oil one morning prior to leaving the garage on a long trip.

One last item. There have been brand new gl1800s right out of the "box" that used oil. Based on your write up, I don't think yours is one of them.

Good luck.
          Richard
          Darksider #390
          Murgie's FAQ

Ross, there is NO way that your '09 Wing, with only 42k miles on it, should be using ANY oil...not even a drop.

Thankfully...jmohme noticed what I did...that your mechanic told you it might be a hydraulic lifter. There is no Goldwing 1800 made that has hydraulic lifters in the engine.

What you have not told us, and did not answer the question posed to you by SolidBob......what oil....what filter...and more importantly...HOW much oil are you originally putting in the engine when you do an oil and filter change?

Those are very important things.

All any of us can do is relate our own experiences with these bikes. I can tell you I have owned a lot of Wings over the years. And more recently have owned 4 Goldwing 1800's. When I change oil & filter, I refill the engine with a full 4 quarts of oil...exactly...and NEVER have burned one tiny little bit of oil in all my years and miles of riding these bikes.

The specs "may" say to refill with 3.8 or 3.9 quarts, when also replacing the oil filter, but....we never get 100 % of the oil out of the plastic quart bottle, so if I use 4 full quarts, then in reality I am putting 3.8 to 3.9 quarts of oil into my engines.

Now, I only use the Honda OEM oil filters, and that is stated just as a reference for you. I have no comment on what brand or model of oil filter you use...that is up to you.

By all the rules of how these engines run...there is no way your '09 Wing with 42k miles on it should be burning ANY oil. If you truly are.......warranty the engine !

Last note: I just returned from a ride of 5015 miles, doing the 40th annual Three Flags Classic, and dropped my oil within 10 minutes of arriving home. Drained out.....almost 4 quarts of old oil. NO oil was burned during that ride.

My yellow 2010 did what the op described twice in the years I owned it but continued to run perfectly and use no oil between changes for the 93,000 miles that I owned it. I asked my Goldwing mechanic about it once early in the GW's service life and he explained why it happened and told me it was nothing to worry about so I didn't.

I recommend you ignore it. I think it only occurs on rare occasions if parked overnight and started on the side stand instead of the center stand. I've forgotten his explanation but believe it was related to oil draining from the right bank.
              Harvey Barlow
              Crosby County, TX
              2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
              2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

Thank you for feedback. I use Rotella oil and Napa gold filter. 1 US gal of oil. There is no leaks. I will run bike for 5 minutes and check it again today. Hope there isn't a problem. All Honda dealers in our area are also Harley dealers and the mechanics are only Harley trained.
                Ross
                2009 Silver Airbag
                Bathurst, NB Canada

Harvey's post made me think of this. Several of my wings have exhibited that engine knock you mentioned, albeit a rare occurrence. Scares the heck out of me as well. To me though, it sounds more like rod bearings making the noise (but it probably isn't that).
                  Richard
                  Darksider #390
                  Murgie's FAQ

In my opinion (I'll be the first to tell anyone I am not a mechanic or an engineer, just a layman) once we fully accept just how good the Goldwing is any worries about it can be released and allowed to fade away. Unless a Goldwing engine has been terribly abused and neglected like run without oil or never had an oil and filter replacement they just don't break.
                    Harvey Barlow
                    Crosby County, TX

Originally posted by HBarlow View Post
                      Unless a Goldwing engine has been terribly abused and neglected like run without oil or never had an oil and filter replacement they just don't break.
                      Kind of like a Honda car engine, or Honda lawn mower engine, or Honda snowblower engine, or Honda stationary pump engine, or Honda generator engine.... you get the idea.

Rocky, oh Rocky. What is making that terrible noise that sounds like the engine has no oil in it? Is it the top end or the bottom end....or maybe something different????? Thanks.
                        Richard
                        Darksider #390
                        Murgie's FAQ

As for the knocking. I would be suspicious of the ADG, but without actually hearing it, that is just a wild guess.

Originally posted by TravelinLite View Post
                            Rocky, oh Rocky. What is making that terrible noise that sounds like the engine has no oil in it? Is it the top end or the bottom end....or maybe something different????? Thanks.
                            Richard check your PM's
                            ************************************************** *******
                            You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

My 2014 with just under 24,000 miles had been parked on the side stand in the barn for several days, perhaps a week. I started it to ride to lunch today and it made that awful whacking sound maybe three or four beats as it started. That's the first strange sound I've heard from this new Wing.

I won't loose any sleep over the sounds. Apparently many of them do it once in awhile. It's covered under the original factory warranty until December 2017 and the HondaCare extended factory warranty until December 2021.
                              Harvey Barlow
                              Crosby County, TX

Originally posted by HBarlow View Post
                                it made that awful whacking sound maybe three or four beats as it started.
                                What brand of oil filter are you using?

Honda oil filter, Honda oil, Honda dealership service department, and Honda maintenance schedule.
                                  Harvey Barlow
                                  Crosby County, TX

That tells me it's likely something a little more serious than having an oil filter with a poor or no anti drainback valve.
                                    That's not to say that even Honda's subcontracted oil filters are always perfect.

Originally posted by bigbird View Post
                                      That tells me it's likely something a little more serious than having an oil filter with a poor or no anti drainback valve.
                                      That's not to say that even Honda's subcontracted oil filters are always perfect.
                                      I get a kick out of the infamous oil/filter threads.

Honda has been selling the Goldwing since 1975 . Not one bike has had a failed oil filter. I used fram filters in my 1100 & 1200 before I bought a spin on adapter for the 1200 and used Purolator filters on it.

I have used Pure one on this 04 since I bought it 8/06, A few years ago I switched from the pure one filter/Rotella blue jug Synthetic. To the regular Purolator filters and the Rotella 15-40.

I have yet to find one, just one bike that had any brand of filter fail.

Having cut open a few OEM Honda filters. I can tell you that Honda lowered their own standards, with the building of the GL1800 filter over it's predecessor the GL1500 filter.

As they say--A picture is worth a Thous--- ----s.

These are the same filters flipped over to see what is on the other end.

As I said. NO filter has caused any damage as of yet!!

So use what you like and keep Riding.
                                      ************************************************** *******
                                      You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page