Over Reved Engine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over Reved Engine

A friend over reved his 2002 1800. The bike shut down, nothing works. It's like there is not a battery installed. Is there an over speed sensor, can it be reset. where is it located?

The bike has a rev limiter that shuts off the ignition when you hit redine. However, I have hit the rev limiter hundreds of times and have never had the symptoms you describe. When the engine rpm drops back down below the limit, the engine continues to run as normal.

You say it acts like it has no battery installed. Have you (or your friend) checked to see if the battery is good. I suspect that (or a related fuse) is where you will find your problem, even though there are other items that would prevent it from turning over. Just for grins he might also check the emergency kill switch on the right handlebar.
    Richard
    Darksider #390
    Murgie's FAQ

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I asked him about the battery but he insists the battery is good. I told him we should swap my battery with his but he didn't want to. I think it might be the battery also because it is old. Checked kill switch, not the problem. When he gets it figured out I will post the fix.

If he accidentally revved the engine up against the rev limiter as he was trying to prevent a parking lot tip-over and ultimately had to let the bike down and step off an old battery which was good when he started it might have died when it was tipped over.

Just a guess but assuming the battery is good and refusing to test it may cause him a lot of unnecessary worry and delay. My recommendation is try another battery. It won't cost anything but ten minutes to swap batteries.
        Harvey Barlow
        Crosby County, TX
        2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
        2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

It was his battery. I pulled my batt and made him install it. Started right up and ran just fine. I asked him how old his batt was and he thought be the original from 2002. Never heard of a batt lasting that long. He still can't believe his batt was bad.

You did good!

Sometimes we stubborn old men get hung up on something we're certain about such as the battery is not the problem and can spend a lot of money and waste a lot of time refusing to consider the possibility.

You saved your friend some days of worry, days without his wing, and possibly some money. He owes you a meal for what you did for him.
            Harvey Barlow
            Crosby County, TX
            2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
            2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page