Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Reports

A few months ago I had a mishap that required transmission repair. As you know, to do this requires the engine to be dropped and opened to get to the tranny. My dealer (Tampabay Powersports) took care of everything under warranty with world class service and not a single hassle. Even though my bike was running great after I got it back, I was still curious about the oil so I ran a report after about 1,100 miles; posted below.

I listed the oil as Honda HP4 synthetic but actually I have no idea what they used; it could be the Honda 10w-30 dino oil. Blackstone flagged iron and silicon as being a bit high. Regardless of which oil was used, at only 1,100 miles I'd expect the viscosity and TBN to be strong, and they are. I refilled the bike with Mobil1 4T 10w-40 and will get another report at 5,000 miles.

Anybody else have oil reports they want to share?

_ Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-0612__1100%252520miles__unknown%252520oil%252520type.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	57153
    George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

Oil sampling is a great way to keep tract of your engine performance it looks like in your case your iron was flagged from your tranny work new parts. Plus your oil is still fresh new oil will give high silicon levels from the additives like they out lined in there report. When we take our oil samples at prior to changing or adding make up oil on my Truck. I have never ran a sample on my Wing thought about it i would get at lease 5000 miles on before you sample.
    2010 Pearl Yellow L3, Double Darksider #856, Ultimate Midrider Seat w Yellow inlays, F4+4 Tinted, Live To Ride, Love my Wing

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

What industry are you in that you do oil sampling for?

Yeah I'm not a fan of seeing that iron, but I'd agree that it could be due to the parts "re-seating" themselves.

I've seen a few Wing reports on BITOG and, in general, it seems that our engine/tranny are not hard on oils at all. 5,000 miles seems like a nice round number. If the oils looks good, I may change the filter and run it to 10,000 miles for another analysis.

10,000 is even better for testing i am in the trucking industry we use by pass filters and oil testing to allow us to go 100,000 miles or more on a oil change. Sampling also provides us with great information on the engines performance and can even help in preventive maintenance. Theres not much of this technology on cars and motorcycles yet, but oil sampling can give us good info on the wear and tear of a engine if the oil has been in the motor a while. Testing new oil gives us the results that you have posted, thats why its good to get some miles on the oil prior to testing.
        2010 Pearl Yellow L3, Double Darksider #856, Ultimate Midrider Seat w Yellow inlays, F4+4 Tinted, Live To Ride, Love my Wing

I was in the trucking industry for most of my life also, and agree that oil sampling is a great tool, but a single sample really doesn't tell you much. In order to attain useful data, a regular schedule of sampling is needed to track wear trends.
          As far as the flagged iron and silicon counts, that would be nothing unusual to me considering that you just had a major repair done. I would suspect that the iron count is related to break in of new parts and silicon could result from any number of things including some sealant that may have been used in the repair.

Yellowbird, I had one customer that would never change oil until the sample results indicated that it was needed. He did regular filter changes topping off with fresh oil and also used some oil supplements. The last time I spoke with him, his truck had well over one million miles on it and still going strong.

I do agree jmohme we test every 8 to 12 weeks using make up oil and using by-pass filter changes. Saves the company tons of money there are many out there with over a million miles on them and still going strong.

Here's the next report, about 5,650 miles on the oil. Earlier than I'd normally change it but I'm trying to get re-aligned to the OEM schedule.

They're flagging aluminum and silicon (again) as being high. I'll take their advice and check for dirt getting past the filter... actually, my 24,000 mile interval is approaching so I'll just replace it.

What do you guys think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-0912__21%25252C350%252520miles__Mobil1-Racing4T-10w40.png
Views:	29
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	62090

I don't think anything here is a huge concern. The engine barely has 7,000 miles on it so there might still be some break in happening, no?

Iron, copper, and aluminum seem to be the big show-ers in GL1800 oil reports, in this specific order, iron the most, then copper, and then aluminum. I *think* the majority of these metals, in our engines, show a correlation to the number of cold starts of your engine. There's a guy on BITOG who sort of has some evidence for this, and it kind makes sense, so idk, I'm going to consider that. As a daily commuting bike, mine sees at least three "cold" starts and at least one "warm" start everyday. So these metals at these levels don't seem to be an alarm... but we'll keep an eye on them.

Next oil change change is at 28,000 miles, at which point I'll be re-aligned with the OEM schedule. From there I'll do a few 8,000 mile changes and think some more about trying for 10 or 12 thousand mile intervals.

I still don't know what to think about the silicon???

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page