Garmin maps CD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Garmin maps CD

    I got a Garmin GPSMAP 376C that came with this bike...that's all it came with it...

    I'm slowly realizing that I need some cables to connect to PC for update & etc.

    I need USB cable for connecting to PC.

    Then, I realized I have NO maps to go with it, in software form...unit shows 2 installed.

    Only problem, I can't do anything with it using Garmin software for update and such without actual maps.

    Here lies my issue. Garmin no longer support it and it had been discontinued.

    Tech support suggested I look online for a copy and using the product & unlock key, I'll be able to do what I need.

    So, my dilemma is, to find an ISO of the actual "Garmin city navigator north america 2008".

    Does anyone have the actual disk, maybe for sale or an image of the disk from which I can make a copy of.

    No torrented/unlocked/cracked files please.

    I'm 100% legit and want to keep it that way...I do have the means to keep it legit via product codes and unlick codes for both of my loaded maps.

    Send me a message or email, please.

    Thanks, Tim
    Last edited by kodiak536; 06-02-2015, 04:39 PM. Reason: spelling errors

  • #2
    Ok, here's the deal. It isn't easy. First you have to buy the maps. You have a couple choices, you can buy the one time current version (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps...2-c454-p1.html) @ $79.99 or lifetime maps (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod33379.html) @ $89.99 called nuMaps. I don't know why anyone would buy only the current version? Here is where it gets a little foggy for me, because I have the lifetime nuMaps for my 376c and haven't had to go through this recently. I think you will need to connect your device to your computer to get it registered. This also means you will need to have an ID on Garmin's web site. Once you do these things, I believe you will be ready to download your maps.

    Now, the 376c is no longer supported but you can still get maps. I purchased lifetime maps for my 376c. But, Garmin's web site will first tell you to use Garmin Express to update the maps, but the 376c isn't support with Garmin Express. You will discover this after you go through the whole download, connecting and attempting to download maps, finally it will tell you that it isn't support (nice, huh?). What you need to download is the Garmin Map Updater. Unfortunately Garmin has BURIED this application in their web site so that you can't even find it by looking for it with their search function. So go here: http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe and download this application. Connect your 376c then go through the process of buying then downloading maps.

    For whatever reason, Garmin has made their user interface for their products so very complicated, some folks just finally give up and buy new GPS's. This works for them but no so much for us. Be patient and work through this. If you get frustrated you can e-mail their product support, which is actually pretty good here: https://support.garmin.com/support/sw/escalateForm (only works I believe after you have registered).

    Now, if you just get totally frustrated with Garmin (which you would not be the first), I would like to be first on your list for purchasing your 376c. :-)
    Joe

    '18 Goldwing Tour DCT, '04 GL1800A, '17 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, '14 BMW K1600 Exclusive, '11 KTM 990 Adventure Dakar (all countries in South, Central and North America), '14 KTM 500 Exc (for the dirt)

    Comment: (For off-topic replies)


    • #3
      The only problem with your option is that you're suggesting I pay $80 -$90 for maps?

      I already have 2 maps, albeit outdated, installed in this unit.

      So far, only issue I had with this outdated maps were when we visited San Diego couple of weeks ago.

      This thing didn't have a clue as to where we were??? I'm 100% positive San Diego/Chula Vista exited back in 2008 when this maps were created😆 it didn't even show any of the main streets, just the main highways...even THAT was iffy for this unit.

      As for selling it, it's possible but, the weather and optional XM radio makes this unit handy to have.

      I'm looking for a mod, which I connect the older Garmin Nuvi's audio to the Auxiliary, where XM radio is currently connected to, so that I can get the audible GPS directions from it through the speakers.

      Would it work? I don't see why it wouldn't., unless the output level/amplitude is too low for audible, which I can't see being an issue...we'll see.

      Thanks for info, I'm doing my best to NOT spend/give away any more money to Garmin for maps which I already paid for and legally own.

      Tim
      Last edited by kodiak536; 06-03-2015, 12:17 PM. Reason: spelling check

      Comment: (For off-topic replies)


      • #4
        Tim do a search for Zumoforms.com you may have to join before posting. That is one of the best forms for GPS information. Joe gave you some good information, to do what you want you are going to have to spend some money.

        Comment: (For off-topic replies)


        • #5
          Originally posted by kodiak536 View Post
          The only problem with your option is that you're suggesting I pay $80 -$90 for maps?

          I already have 2 maps, albeit outdated, installed in this unit.

          So far, only issue I had with this outdated maps were when we visited San Diego couple of weeks ago.

          This thing didn't have a clue as to where we were??? I'm 100% positive San Diego/Chula Vista exited back in 2008 when this maps were created😆 it didn't even show any of the main streets, just the main highways...even THAT was iffy for this unit.

          As for selling it, it's possible but, the weather and optional XM radio makes this unit handy to have.

          I'm looking for a mod, which I connect the older Garmin Nuvi's audio to the Auxiliary, where XM radio is currently connected to, so that I can get the audible GPS directions from it through the speakers.

          Would it work? I don't see why it wouldn't., unless the output level/amplitude is too low for audible, which I can't see being an issue...we'll see.

          Thanks for info, I'm doing my best to NOT spend/give away any more money to Garmin for maps which I already paid for and legally own.

          Tim

          CanineCop is right, there is a lot of good advice on ZumoForums.com. But much is related to the Garmin Zumo GPS and may be confusing when trying to apply it to the 376c.

          Your response creates a few questions:

          1) you say you already have maps installed. If they are installed why do you need the map disks? If you want updated maps, unfortunately you will have to pay Garmin for those. You cannot get the Map updates without paying for them. Again, I would suggest the nuMaps lifetime updates for $89.99. For this price you get maps 3 or 4 times a year containing updates to the map data created by Garmin.

          2) you mention you have 2 versions of maps installed on this unit. Generally later map versions over write older map versions. I believe you can load two different versions and select the one you want to use in the Map Info menu. Is that what you are doing? Have you selected the map you want to use in the Map Info menu?

          3) the 376c cannot contain all of the US maps in it's memory even if it has the largest memory stick 512 meg, so you must select the area using Basecamp or Mapsource and transfer these maps to your device. Did you select the area containing San Diego to transfer the map from your PC to your 376c.

          If the Nuvi has a 3.5mm output it will work fine with the AUX input for hearing directions from the GPS.

          I told you this may be complicated ;-)
          Joe

          '18 Goldwing Tour DCT, '04 GL1800A, '17 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, '14 BMW K1600 Exclusive, '11 KTM 990 Adventure Dakar (all countries in South, Central and North America), '14 KTM 500 Exc (for the dirt)

          Comment: (For off-topic replies)


          • #6
            Originally posted by jfink View Post


            CanineCop is right, there is a lot of good advice on ZumoForums.com. But much is related to the Garmin Zumo GPS and may be confusing when trying to apply it to the 376c.

            Your response creates a few questions:

            1) you say you already have maps installed. If they are installed why do you need the map disks? If you want updated maps, unfortunately you will have to pay Garmin for those. You cannot get the Map updates without paying for them. Again, I would suggest the nuMaps lifetime updates for $89.99. For this price you get maps 3 or 4 times a year containing updates to the map data created by Garmin.

            2) you mention you have 2 versions of maps installed on this unit. Generally later map versions over write older map versions. I believe you can load two different versions and select the one you want to use in the Map Info menu. Is that what you are doing? Have you selected the map you want to use in the Map Info menu?

            3) the 376c cannot contain all of the US maps in it's memory even if it has the largest memory stick 512 meg, so you must select the area using Basecamp or Mapsource and transfer these maps to your device. Did you select the area containing San Diego to transfer the map from your PC to your 376c.

            If the Nuvi has a 3.5mm output it will work fine with the AUX input for hearing directions from the GPS.

            I told you this may be complicated ;-)
            To answer your question...

            1. I need an image of the map installed in my PC, according to Garmin tech, to be able to utilize the "trip and way point manager", basecamp and/or mapsource software. Otherwise, all I'll be able to see are the saved info from the 376C only and NOT be able to create or edit any custom maps...I have NO original maps. No disk, NO image, NO nothing. Only what's installed in the unit, which are NOT accessible via PC or ANY Garmin software to include mapsource, etc. I'm NOT spending money on THIS unit, not worth it when I have 2 newer Nuvi's with life time update maps, came FREE with both units.

            2. There is NO map selection option in this unit that I can see. Selecting map is NOT my goal here and that would not allow me to do anything to edit or create custom anything. Creating custom map(s) are my goals. I have NO reason to have the entire North America map(even if I could have it on the memory stick). I want to edit the map to include ONLY immediate areas of my travels to save memory space and allow MORE waypoints and POI'S.
            3. EXACTLY! I do have 512Mb memory and I CAN'T use basecamp or mapsource without original ma[s installed in my PC! I CAN NOT select anything without maps! Software keeps giving me warnings that City Navigator North America 2008 in NOT installed!!! And yes, it's NOT installed because I HAVE NO MAPS TO INSTALL...

            I've exhausted all avenue with Garmin support, all they tell me is that I NEED THE MAPS(images/CD or buy new updated versions INSTALLED IN MY PC for the mapsource program to use, so that I can edit/create any new maps.

            No, my Nuvi's DON'T have any outputs, therfore the mod to ADD the 3.5mm. The oldest one has a map dated 2012 and have gotten ALOT of usage on my VTX 1300R, with MANY waypoints and POI's already saved so, I really don't have any REAL use for the 376C with the exception of XM(wich I rarely use now since I installed "bikeMP3") and it's weather feature, with I rarely use now any way...376C is just a "novelty", nice to have GPS an so far, not too useful for navigation purposes other than I can actually HEAR the directions instead of taking my eyes off the road to look down at the GPS instructions.

            When I finish the mod in my Nuvi's, 376C will most likely get "thrown" and be in "mothballed" into the trunk and left there to rot, until I need it for weather...yeah, like that's going to happen any time soon here in Arizona...LOL

            Thanks for assistance and info guys. Unless I have the original 2008 map(s), there is NOTHING I can do any more with this unit. It's not complicated in any way...it's old technology in this unit and it act like and old technology that's outdated...useless. I can connect BOTH of my Nuvi's and use mapsource to do EVERYTHING I need to do.

            Tim

            Comment: (For off-topic replies)


            • #7
              For those of you paying for maps, I found this through another rider site, Garmin map project, an open source maps that is up to date, FOR FREE!

              UPDATE, 06/ 07/2015: WARNING - WARNING!!!

              FYI, I just tried out this maps I downloaded and installed on my Garmin Nuvi 285WT.

              Map itself seems to be good enough but, Garmin functionality have changed to a point where it CRASHES, which it had NEVER done before.

              This is how we found out today...

              When we enter search mode, via search different city, it blanks out/reboot or locks up.

              When we search via typing in address, it blanks out and reboots.

              If you search otherwise, say points of interests, it works o.k without reboot.

              It's a good thing I haven't tried these maps on my 376C! I would've lost my original working map WITHOUT any way to recover it!!!

              I'm reinstalling the OEM 2015 map back in to Nuvi 285WT when we get home and wait for better solution...
              Last edited by kodiak536; 06-07-2015, 04:41 PM.

              Comment: (For off-topic replies)


              • #8
                Originally posted by kodiak536 View Post
                For those of you paying for maps, I found this through another rider site, Garmin map project, an open source maps that is up to date, FOR FREE!
                OpenStreetMaps isn't part of Garmin. It's a separate effort establish in the Nederlands. I believe an individual started it, but now I think it's bigger than that. Their South America maps are hugely better then anything you can get from Garmin. I can't tell you how much I appreciated the OSM as they call it. The download method is a little more involved but if you work through it, the maps are good and actually routeable which some maps you get for free aren't. I've heard it isn't quite as accurate for the US but probably good enough for FREE.

                Ok, here's the deal. You may think the 376c is old technology but there are a lot of folks (me included) who believe that for offroad/ dirt road riding it is one of the best. Largely because of the clarity of the screen and the buttons. I have two Zumo 665's, and the I still value my 376c. It's the one that made the ride with me through South, Central and North America, not my 665.
                Joe

                '18 Goldwing Tour DCT, '04 GL1800A, '17 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, '14 BMW K1600 Exclusive, '11 KTM 990 Adventure Dakar (all countries in South, Central and North America), '14 KTM 500 Exc (for the dirt)

                Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                • #9
                  Ok, I think I understand your dilemma, you need the data for your PC (Mapsource or Basecamp) not for your 376c. I have a lot of old CD's from Garmin. I am heading to Colorado right now, to ride the dirt roads on the front range. In a couple weeks, when I get back, I will look through my CD's. I am pretty sure I have an old 2008 City Navigator CD.
                  Joe

                  '18 Goldwing Tour DCT, '04 GL1800A, '17 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, '14 BMW K1600 Exclusive, '11 KTM 990 Adventure Dakar (all countries in South, Central and North America), '14 KTM 500 Exc (for the dirt)

                  Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                  • #10
                    😨 You understood me???

                    That's a surpise (not that YOU understood me but, in general anyone have).😆

                    Sometimes, I feel like I'm writing in Japanese and thinking in English as I write...can't tell you how often I've been "misunderstood" on things I said or wrote, even at work.

                    Yes, you are correct. I just need the software for my P.C., to be used with mapsource/basecamp.

                    I downloaded some West coast OSM maps; California, Arizona and Nevada, since that's our local riding grounds, on to my older Nuvi 285WT just to see if it is actually "routable" with audio directions.

                    Of course, I cut and pasted the OEM map into a folder in my P.C just in case as a backup.

                    Yes!, it's actually working!!! But, I still need the maps for 376C as a backup "just in case" something goes wrong on it's installation and don't work any more...then I'll have a GPS with NO map installed and be "FORCED" to buy a map...

                    For the time being, I'll work on the mod for my Nuvi 285WT to add an 3.5mm audio jack to connect to Goldwing's aux terminal.

                    Tim

                    Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                    • #11
                      Well, I got back from Colorado a few days ago and frankly spaced out this conversation. But I did see your update in my messages and remembered to look. Guess what I found?


                      So, this is only the "UPDATE" not the original source file, but I believe you can still load it into Mapsource or Basecamp. And as well it says it's for the Streetpilot 2620/2660 which I still have but never use. I don't think it matters as long as it matches versions with what is on your 376c. I can send this to you if you drop me an e-mail or PM with your address. Let me know.
                      Joe

                      '18 Goldwing Tour DCT, '04 GL1800A, '17 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, '14 BMW K1600 Exclusive, '11 KTM 990 Adventure Dakar (all countries in South, Central and North America), '14 KTM 500 Exc (for the dirt)

                      Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                      • #12
                        Thanks, Joe. I managed to load GarminCity Navigator North America 2016 on to the unit, with some good technical advise from another site.

                        No, I didn't load the entire map, since my data card is limited to 512Mb max.

                        I used the Garmin map installer and loaded the Western portion of U.S. and segmented the map in 4 sectors, which I can ready load when I travel,in to my notebook P.C .

                        Appreciate you remember though. If you like, I can send you a link to the site that hooked me up to new maps and "how-to's".

                        Tim

                        Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by kodiak536 View Post
                          Thanks, Joe. I managed to load GarminCity Navigator North America 2016 on to the unit, with some good technical advise from another site.

                          No, I didn't load the entire map, since my data card is limited to 512Mb max.

                          I used the Garmin map installer and loaded the Western portion of U.S. and segmented the map in 4 sectors, which I can ready load when I travel,in to my notebook P.C .

                          Appreciate you remember though. If you like, I can send you a link to the site that hooked me up to new maps and "how-to's".

                          Tim

                          Thanks Tim, but I have lifetime maps for all my GPS's so I get the latest when they come out from Garmin. The reality is probably that they really don't change that much between each edition. Cumulatively, though they add some pretty important roads. Perhaps others might get something from that link though.
                          Joe

                          '18 Goldwing Tour DCT, '04 GL1800A, '17 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, '14 BMW K1600 Exclusive, '11 KTM 990 Adventure Dakar (all countries in South, Central and North America), '14 KTM 500 Exc (for the dirt)

                          Comment: (For off-topic replies)

                          Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

                          Related Topics

                          Collapse

                          • JGDJR
                            Garmin Maps update
                            by JGDJR
                            Anyone know when Garmin GPS update will come out for 2012-2017, here is what the Garmin site says, I can't believe it takes them so long to do this.

                            "The map update comes on an SD™...
                            02-27-2018, 09:56 AM
                          • Mama Chicken
                            Mapping Program Options
                            by Mama Chicken
                            What map program or trip planner are most folks now using? I have used Street and Trips for years but it no longer supported so I am looking for new options. Must be easy to use and able to transfer to...
                            12-02-2015, 10:15 PM
                          • Lone Ranger
                            Garmin 2610 ??
                            by Lone Ranger
                            I have a Garmin 2610 that I have had since I bought the bike back in '03. All my trip info/ride routes are on it. I don't want to get rid of it for the aforementioned reason and also it sits in a nice...
                            06-25-2015, 12:52 AM
                          • dep47
                            Favorites
                            by dep47
                            I have been through the navigation book for my 2018 Wing and can't find how or what to import as favorites. I can of course save and address I created as a favorite, but would like to import the favorites...
                            06-11-2018, 03:33 PM
                          • LoneriderSr
                            Is It Possible To Make A Worse GPS?
                            by LoneriderSr
                            Pardon me while I vent.... 2014 Wing, Level 3 paid 25000 for it and The GPS is a P.O.S, second weekend we wound up in the woods...... ( my fault for listening to it) We have visited the White Mountains...
                            09-21-2014, 02:07 PM
                          Working...
                          X