Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB questions...problem

I just bought back my '06 Wing, and this is a bike that I was the original owner of, and I was the person that installed the Honda CB unit, and Honda antenna system on the bike, back when I first bought in, in mid '07. For the following 4 years of ownership, the CB worked perfectly...and this was my 3rd GL1800, that I had owned, and had installed the Honda CB on. Point being, I know how to install them and use them, and this '06 bike worked flawlessly for 4 years.

Now that I have the bike back in my possession, the CB does not appear to be working right. The RX icon is on 100 % of the time....does not matter what channel I am on...does not matter what level of Squelch I have it set on. I have gone through ALL of the CB channels, and have gone up and down the squelch levels, from 1 to 20, on every channel, and it always shows the RX icon, as if it is "receiving" all the time. The only time it does NOT show the RX icon, is if I push the Push to Talk lever, and of course...then it will show the TX icon, as if I am talking, which it should be doing, and showing.

The problem "appears" to be that my CB main unit is stuck in RX mode....irregardless of whether anything is being received, or not.

Anyone else ever have this happen ? Is there a RESET button on the CB main unit someplace ? It is NOT my antenna, and NOT my switches on the handlebar controls.

Any ideas ?

I would suggest you contact Larry at Wingconnect.com. Wing audio repair is his thing and he may have some suggestions.
    Harvey
    Ride Safe and Ride Often

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Can other riders hear you when you push the talk button? Maybe try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes?
      DS#1146 IBA#55800 50CC,BBG, BB1500 x2, SS2K, SS1Kx3 CERTIFIED ALL DS, PGR RC
      2010 Level3 Endeavor Reverse Trike

• MMR
        MMR commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Pooch, I have already tried that. First thing I went to. And as per Harvey's suggestion to contact Larry at WingConnect, have done that, and he and I are discussing it, and it appears I will need to send my CB unit in for repairs.

Thanks to both of you,

Okay, problem resolved. After speaking with Larry at WingConnect (very knowledgeable person), and finding that the CB unit I have (Radio Sound) is the one he does NOT work on or repair, I went about doing my own version of a reset. Disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes did not do it. Disconnecting it for 30 minutes did not do it. I even went to the CB power source under the seat, and used that as my disconnect source....the third time. Then I contacted Radio Sound, and talked to a tech, and he told me of a way to reset these units by a series of rapid power signals to the CB unit, via the 3 pin power connector, in quick succession, that will trip the internal circuit into a reset. I tried this method, and it worked.

My CB is now fully functional, and all is well with the world.

Glad to hear y ou got it fixed.
        DS#1146 IBA#55800 50CC,BBG, BB1500 x2, SS2K, SS1Kx3 CERTIFIED ALL DS, PGR RC
        2010 Level3 Endeavor Reverse Trike

• MMR
          MMR commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you.

I think Larry on the unmentionable website is the guy who repairs and refurbishes Goldwing radios. I think he is busy and in demand.
        Harvey Barlow
        Crosby County, TX
        2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
        2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

I have similar problem. I just installed the Bikemp3 GL2way I bought from a member on other board. Channels 2-3 get stuck in RX mode. Not sure if thing is working because I have not hear anything on it. I spoke into mic, received a RX like someone was responding but it was all static. WOuld the reset help on GL2way? And when performing reset, did you leave key in on position?

dxlnt1, I cannot say whether the reset that I did on the Honda brand Radio Sound CB unit would work for a BikeMP3 GL2Way CB. I would suggest that you contact Pete at BikeMP3, and talk to him.

Yes, I did have the key in the ON position, as I needed to feed a hot to the CB unit....intermittently.

Sounds to me like BikeMP3's cb units work about as well as the MP3 unit did in my previous Wing.
              Harvey Barlow
              Crosby County, TX
              2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
              2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

I was severely scrutinized by him and others for asking a question of him and expressing MY perception of what transpired between his staff and I a while back. Don't want any "conflict" so I may just buy a Honda line cb at RenoRendezvous next week. Maybe I can get a good price. I was hoping to have it functional for the ride since I am riding solo.

• HBarlow
                  HBarlow commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think that's a good plan. There is no substitute for Honda oem quality.
              Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page