Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really hate to ask......but

This is a dreaded oil question and it's been posted before but here goes. I changed my oil as per the manual level surface on the center stand. Since we can't ride here I left it drain over night. I put 4qts in and ran it the 3 to 5 minutes and then left it sit for 3 minutes as per the manual and checked it without threading it in, just seated. There is no reading on the stick. I then checked it at 5 min intervals. At 10 to 20 minutes I'm just at the low level mark. 25 minutes to an hour it's about 1/2 way between the low and high mark. If I leave it sit and check it again the next day without running the bike I read full. The owners manual says that it will take APPROXIMATELY 4 quarts and to add oil if it isn't at the high mark after running it 3 to 5 minutes and leaving it sit 2 to 3 minutes. I surely don't want an air box full of oil, but I also don't want to run with it low. Should I add oil or do what most say and do what I usually do and just dump 4 and go? I really would like to know for sure. According to the manual I should add oil.

Just put in 4 and go. Well, before you go take a peak underneath and make sure the drain plug is in and the oil filter seated.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

It's the crush washer, if you didn't install a new washer...you are lucky the engine started at all.... I have seen the same thing on my bike after a oil change.

2 wheel or 3 ??

What is the ambient temperature there in your garage ??

Couldn't resist.
        You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
        "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".

Other than letting the bike warm up for 3 to 5 minutes, I always let mine run until the bike fully comes up to temperature, the shut off and wait 3 minutes before I check.

Another thing to consider, it is possible that the oil is on the dipstick, but is so clean and clear that it is hard to see. I know, a shot in the dark.
          GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
          Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Originally posted by biglefti View Post
            Just put in 4 and go. Well, before you go take a peak underneath and make sure the drain plug is in and the oil filter seated.

Just curious....Did you buy the oil at Walmart? I have heard stories Walmart has sold less than full containers of oil....

Keep adding oil till it reaches the top. Just kidding. I change the oil and put in 4qts. Sometimes I use the standard size oil filter and sometimes I use the extended one, depends on which one I grab off the shelf in the garage. I don't worry after that.
                "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

You don't want to OVERFILL the oil and risk having the crankshaft IMPACT the puddle of oil in the bottom of the case cuz it has too much oil in it---- that can break the crank and other parts. Personally, make sure the drain plug has been replaced and filter is installed 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn PAST contact and NO TIGHTER. Ambient temp of the engine (like sitting overnight in an unheated shop area ) will have the engine and oil if its been sitting next to the bike overnight cold enough that the oil won't drain back into the pan super fast after only running the engine for 3-4 mins. Hint: If the bottom of the engine or oil filter are cool to the touch you've not run the engine long enough to get an accurate oil level indication by only letting the oil drain back for 3 mins or so. But, PLEASE make sure as it is running that the oil pressure light is NOT ILLUMINATED!

CAC, here is your sign:
                    Hee, Hee.
                    Richard
                    Darksider #390
                    Murgie's FAQ

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                      2 wheel or 3 ??

What is the ambient temperature there in your garage ??

Couldn't resist.

Too funny.
                      Richard
                      Darksider #390
                      Murgie's FAQ

Well, since the dust has settled it has become clear that about all we know is that the readings are all over the place. However since I had let the bike sit and drain over night and I had no reading at all on my stick after checking it as per the manual, I chose to add oil. Our manuals seem to be just like our bibles where people tend to pick and choose what they pay attention to. If mine would have read anywhere between the two marks I would not have added the oil. I never check mine between changes and I never measure what comes out.

Edit: I added just enough oil for it to register just above the low mark when checking it as per the manual

Next oil change, measure how much drains out. I am one of those 4 quarts out, 4 quarts in. Near the end of having my last bike, it was getting more like 3 1/2 quarts out, 4 quarts in.

Originally posted by murgie View Post
                            Next oil change, measure how much drains out. I am one of those 4 quarts out, 4 quarts in. Near the end of having my last bike, it was getting more like 3 1/2 quarts out, 4 quarts in.
                            I definitely am planning on it.

4 Quarts, throw a leg over, twist the throttle and smile.

For whatever reason mine needed more than the 4qts this time. I added just over 6oz and now after sitting about a day, it reads dead nuts at the full mark. It's not that much I know, but I'm comfortable now. So as long as I get a reading anywhere between the 2 marks I'll let it alone, but if I its below the low mark I'll add some, regardless of how many qt. I dumped in.

I read stories where others did like you did and then the next time they check, they find it overfilled. Let us know if you experience that. Ready for the big thaw?

I hope it's not over filled, but I can't see how, but with my luck / logic who knows! Lol. Dave I am chomping at the bit to ride. Didn't get to go today like planned and I will be out of town from Tuesday to Friday of this coming week. With more snow expected here tonight and tomorrow it will be at least another week.

I read stories where others did like you did and then the next time they check, they find it overfilled. Let us know if you experience that. Ready for the big thaw?
                                      I resemble that remark.
                                      Richard
                                      Darksider #390
                                      Murgie's FAQ

I took it for 100 miles and checked it after it sat for about 10 minutes or so and it was at the high mark. Now after 2.5 I'm still the same. I'm thinking its good to go. Also I have no fluid leaks and the front end seems to be ok, didn't do any real riding though.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page