Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wont start in gear

My 2007 now will not start in gear. I cleaned wire terminals. Albeit could have been better job but enough to correct connection issues. Bike still disengages cruise while riding. What would I need to check next?

I would ask...politely...that you please give us a much better explanation of the entire situation. At this point, we know it is a 2007 bike, that you have cleaned "some" terminals (where, we don't know), and that the bike still disengages the cruise while riding. To be honest, that does not help a lot. And we want to help you. So the better the info you can share with us, the better we can help you.

I.E., how many miles on the bike ? What model of 2007 Wing is it...level 1, level 2, level 3, level 4 ? Are you pulling in the clutch to attempt to start it? With the bike in neutral, will it start ?

Is the bike in 1st gear...when you park it....and that is the condition you are trying to start it in?

WHY not simply shift the bike into neutral, when you stop the bike? Why try to start it in gear?

And there are 16 more questions that we could ask, but I am hoping you see the point.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Usually not starting in gear indicates one of two problems (or possibly, both). The kick stand switch or the clutch switch. If you're having problems with the cruise control, that could also indicate a problem with the clutch switch (or with your cruise control device). I'd check the bushing on the clutch lever, as well as far out it's adjusted.

I was having problems with my cruise not engaging (or suddenly disengaging the few times it would work), and was told to try pushing out my clutch lever (when it wouldn't engage). I tried that, and it allowed my cruise to engage. If I it a bump, it disengaged. They replaced my switch under warranty, and all was fine again.
      2012 Honda Goldwing | 2009 Timeout Camper

Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 | IBA member #59823

One other thing I found when having that problem was the brass bushing wasn't allowing the brake lever to move freely, don't know if it was worn or lubricated enough. I just replaced the bushing and lubricated. No more problems. I now take the bushing out and lubricate once a year.

Originally posted by hparsons View Post
          Usually not starting in gear indicates one of two problems (or possibly, both). The kick stand switch or the clutch switch. If you're having problems with the cruise control, that could also indicate a problem with the clutch switch (or with your cruise control device). I'd check the bushing on the clutch lever, as well as far out it's adjusted.

I was having problems with my cruise not engaging (or suddenly disengaging the few times it would work), and was told to try pushing out my clutch lever (when it wouldn't engage). I tried that, and it allowed my cruise to engage. If I it a bump, it disengaged. They replaced my switch under warranty, and all was fine again.
          Those are what I would check. As an 07, it's likely not a bad idea to just replace them all. You can try pushing out on the levers to see if you can locate the bad switch, but I think you can pick each one up for under $10, or you could spend a bunch of time trying to find the exact switch that is having a problem. My wife had problems with the cruise not engaging. I just replaced all the switches, and it works like a charm. About 5 minutes of work or less each.
          Costa Mesa, CA
          2012 RED GL1800

Originally posted by MMR View Post
            I would ask...politely...that you please give us a much better explanation of the entire situation. At this point, we know it is a 2007 bike, that you have cleaned "some" terminals (where, we don't know), and that the bike still disengages the cruise while riding. To be honest, that does not help a lot. And we want to help you. So the better the info you can share with us, the better we can help you.

I.E., how many miles on the bike ? What model of 2007 Wing is it...level 1, level 2, level 3, level 4 ? Are you pulling in the clutch to attempt to start it? With the bike in neutral, will it start ?

Is the bike in 1st gear...when you park it....and that is the condition you are trying to start it in?

WHY not simply shift the bike into neutral, when you stop the bike? Why try to start it in gear?

And there are 16 more questions that we could ask, but I am hoping you see the point.

Ok, you got me for an incomplete description. I assumed and thought I read somewhere it was a common issue.

But bike is level 4, 20k miles. Cruise disengages fine. Starts fine in neutral. Kickstand down kills bike. I did find replacement switches on cyclemax web site for $10. So just figured I would replace them and be done with it. I bought the 2nd switch as well. Will just keep on hand for when/if needed.

Check the bushings on the clutch side as well. Could be sticking there as well.
              Costa Mesa, CA
              2012 RED GL1800

I replaced both switches on clutch handlebar. Problem solved. Thanks guys.

Now on to the next issue.

Originally posted by dxlnt1 View Post
                  I replaced both switches on clutch handlebar. Problem solved. Thanks guys.

Now on to the next issue.
                  Good to hear you got it fixed. Glad is was something cheap and easy.
                  Costa Mesa, CA
                  2012 RED GL1800

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page