Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent Speed Sensor

I have an intermittent speed sensor and have one on order. I know it controls the auto can turn signals, speedo, nav system and cruise system. I am not sure what else it controls but once it triggers and throws the FI light I can detect a definite decrease power. Just curious to know what else it controls as far as the motor and performance. TIA

Riverrat, the speed sensor also sends a signal to the ECM/ECU, and when it sends a faulty signal, it puts the ECM/ECU into limp-home mode. Now, that limp-home mode is not as bad as earlier cars had back in the '80s, where the car would only do 50 mph to allow it to get to a safe place, but the limp-home mode on these GLs will show you a decrease in engine performance, until the problem has been resolved.

I know of this personally, because when my bike was struck by lightning, we were all shocked that it even started back up, and when I did ride it several weeks later to deliver it to the Honda shop for the $ 10,200.00 in electrical repairs that it needed...I rode it about 45 miles, and there was a definite difference in power. Once fixed...it ran better than new.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by MMR View Post
      Riverrat, the speed sensor also sends a signal to the ECM/ECU, and when it sends a faulty signal, it puts the ECM/ECU into limp-home mode. Now, that limp-home mode is not as bad as earlier cars had back in the '80s, where the car would only do 50 mph to allow it to get to a safe place, but the limp-home mode on these GLs will show you a decrease in engine performance, until the problem has been resolved.

I know of this personally, because when my bike was struck by lightning, we were all shocked that it even started back up, and when I did ride it several weeks later to deliver it to the Honda shop for the $ 10,200.00 in electrical repairs that it needed...I rode it about 45 miles, and there was a definite difference in power. Once fixed...it ran better than new.
      I figured it had something to do with the ECM, but guess I am better wanting to understand why it would affect the ECM. Still riding and when the light comes on I can stop and reset it and we are back to SNAFU. Guess I shouldn't complain a simple and inexpensive fix for a bike with 103K miles.

Originally posted by Riverrat View Post
        I have an intermittent speed sensor and have one on order. I know it controls the auto can turn signals, speedo, nav system and cruise system. I am not sure what else it controls but once it triggers and throws the FI light I can detect a definite decrease power. Just curious to know what else it controls as far as the motor and performance. TIA
        Mine went bad at about 33,000 miles cruise, speedo,turnsigs not cancelling and loss of power and milage. Pretty easy fix thanks to Rocky and Techdude, runs like a new bike
        on a 2004/2010 Champion SA trike
        Jack & Jolene on a GL1800/Champion Trike out of Silver Springs, FL.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page