Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Filter Wrench

I changed my oil today and said never again. I have two of the end cap (for lack of a better term) filter wrenches that are almost impossible to get on and then turn and get off. Went to the Honda dealer today and that is all they had also and in fact they were showing me how it would fit and got it stuck on a new filter. Went to Walmart with no luck and finally to Auto Zone where they had a "small" band type of wrench. I was able to barely work it on and get the filter loose with some great difficulty. I usually hand tighten and give it just a tug with the filter. I change on the center stand. Anyone know where I can get a small chain type of wrench or any better ideas?

The other day I used one of these for the first time. It seemed to work well. It is made by Lisle Tools.

Richard
    Darksider #390
    Murgie's FAQ

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• Kiwi
      Kiwi commented
      Editing a comment
      I use a similar tool, just enough room to fit over the filter. 1/4 turn or so is all you need to loosen it for turning by hand.

Also, just thought of this. I am certain that all of the K&N filters have a Hex nut-looking nut built into them. The one for the wing is a KN-204 with 17mm Nut on the end of it for Easy Removal.
    Richard
    Darksider #390
    Murgie's FAQ

I use one of those Honda "end cap" wrenches all the time. A bit snug but can give them a little tap with a hammer or whatever and off it comes. Never had an issue. I' 've used a strap wrench too but do prefer theHonda one.
      2013 Black F6B

I use this this one.

• CAC
          CAC commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for those, seems like it should work good

• JohnK105
          JohnK105 commented
          Editing a comment
          HF has them for about $8
          http://tinyurl.com/lo4wfzk

Thanks guys. Will look at these options.

This is the type I use....and it works perfectly 100 % of the time. http://wingstuff.com/products/2065-o...?from_search=1

I even carry it with me on really long rides, in case I want to change the oil at the 5K mile interval, while on the road. I have had the same oil filter wrench for over 20 years, as it worked on all my 1500's. all my 1800's, and now my F6B.

I also use the Wingstuff oil filter wrench works very nice. Just did my Oil yesterday man these wings love new oil shifting is so much better 5K here to.
            2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

Originally posted by MMR View Post
              This is the type I use....and it works perfectly 100 % of the time. http://wingstuff.com/products/2065-o...?from_search=1

I even carry it with me on really long rides, in case I want to change the oil at the 5K mile interval, while on the road. I have had the same oil filter wrench for over 20 years, as it worked on all my 1500's. all my 1800's, and now my F6B.
              Same here! I have used the same filter wrench on two GL1500s and now my GL1800. It stays in my tool bag on the bike.

I use the same one also. Just need to push the canister up a hair and it settles on the filter.
                '04 Titanium ABS
                Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195-55-16
                Bridgestone BT-45 130/70-18
                Member - E. CLAMPUS VITUS
                Free Grazer IBA #22990
                NRA, Elks, and too many others
                Yuma, AZ

Yep same one I use...Works great...nice an thin...
                  John - Richmond 2013 GL1800, Level 3

I bought a filter wrench/ crush washer package from Wingstuff a few years ago. Wrench is made just for the goldwing and works great.
                    T.A. Jens
                    The Pizza Man
                    1800 06 White Champion Trike
                    2005 Bunkhouse Camper
                    2006 Breeze Cargo Trailer
                    GWRRA Life Member

Originally posted by MMR View Post

And if you have one of the magnetic oil drain plugs, they sell one that has both the 17 and 13 mm wrenches built in. This is the only wrench I've used on my bike and works great.
                      Costa Mesa, CA
                      2012 RED GL1800

I always put the filter on without any tools, and when oil change time comes around, if the filter is too tight to get off I just use a pair or channellock pliers to break it loose.

Honda does specify a rather surprising (high) torque value for tightening the oil filter-most vehicles hand tight is good, but they want considerably tighter. I'll follow the manual. My dealer had a filter wrench that fit over the end of the filter with a hole for a socket handle/torque wrench- easy off, proper torque going on.

I use a filter wrench that looks like a big channel lock pliers: it fits almost every filter I have seen during the past 15 years
                            Life is all about decisions. I decided for Jesus Christ.
                            04 All White
                            Mich Alpin PA3
                            Darkside #956

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page