Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear heated backrest install ?

I have an '03. The stock seat did not come heated. I purchased Corbin heated seat for rider and passenger. Later I picked up a heated backrest years ago. I tested the wiring by hooking up to a small battery and the backrest got warm almost instaneously. I made some connectors to tie into the Corbin seat but the backrest does not heat up. Am I not waiting long enough for the backrest to heat up? The heated seat for rider and passenger still worked. Or should I just make a separate on/off switch with fuse and relay to my accessory positive and negative panels? Thoughts.
    "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

First, I agree that you should wire it up separately...because...what if you are riding alone....solo...and you want to use that **^%#%& heated seat for your own butt....do you also want to heat the passenger backrest at the same time, even though your better half stayed home that day?????? Why waste the electrical output, when the heating elements do draw a considerable amount as it is ????

So, wire it up separately, with its' own switch.

Secondly, now I don't feel so bad having the only GL-1800 (F6B) that has HEATED mirrors. Mine are done as a safety issue, to clear my mirrors on cold, foggy, rainy, or even snowy days.

But...BUTT...I will never be a user of a heated seat. I have every piece of heated clothing items that Gerbings has ever made, and I am a cold weather rider...hate the serious hot weather. So I use heated clothing a lot...but never a heated seat. Having said that....I do like the idea of a heated backrest. I like that idea...a LOT.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I like your heated mirrors. Did they come with the bike?
      "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

Originally posted by Lone Ranger View Post
        I like your heated mirrors. Did they come with the bike?

No, they are Muth mirrors, and when I ordered them from Muth, I asked them about making them heated...because this same company also sells heated mirrors for cars. They told me that no one had ever suggested that idea before, so they made the very first set of heated mirrors for me. They did not have installation instructions for the heated mirrors, as mine are the first, so they asked me to write up instructions for this. I think it is an easy job to install these.

If you want a set, and order them from Muth, I will send you the installation instructions that I wrote up.

To me, heated mirrors are a safety issue, just like having them in cold weather on your car or pickup.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page