Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a Vibration/noise issue

Ok, first time for me to be this confused by whats happening with my bike. It is an 08 level 3. I had a vibration that I felt when leaning to the right but did also show up when going to the left. Feel it in the grips and pegs. Started shortly after installing the new tires so I thought maybe I had bad frt wheel bearings. I purchased new frt wheel bearing and replaced them and went for a ride this last weekend in the mountains. Started out trying to believe it was gone but by the end of the day I had to admit that it was just a bad. These POS tires I purchased are wearing poorly and could cause some issues as they are wearing poorly but this is the same feeling i had from the beginning. I started to feel a slow speed wobble today on the road back from a meeting I went to like a bad tire. lifted the bike off the ground when I got home, started and put in gear so I could see the rear tire run. SURPRISE!!! There is a bad grinding, clunking noise when running off the ground. Now what, driveline noise, bad u-joint, bad final drive?

Guess I need to pull it all apart, but I welcome any advice I can get on here or even any opinions on where to start. Thanks.
    Mike n Rhonda
    08 Level 3 Pearl White
    98 Aspencade - RIP
    Support our troops
    Daughter - USCG; Son - USMC; Son-in-Law - US Army
    Working to make the weekends happen.
    :toast:

Mike...you seem to have slightly more problems with your bike, than what is normal, and that is unfortunate. Here is my question: WHO did the rear tire replacement/install ? Did they possibly drain the rear diff, in an effort to change the rear diff fluid....and NOT refill it with new fluid ? I know I have "heard" of riders complain about rear diff failures on the GL1800 Wing....but they are a rare occurance, and I personally have never experienced that...in all my miles on Wings.

Also, you did not say...what brand and model of tires did you have installed, and what pressures are you running. I do not believe for a minute that this is a tire pressure issue, but it is nice when you supply us with that info, so we can better assist you.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

MMR. I put Shinko tires on that were recommended by a good friend because the load rating was great for the weight load my wife and I put on the bike. I run 38 frt and 42 rr. I did the tire mount myself and use centramatics for balance. Oil changes are done by me and i did not change the final drive oil at this tire change. I usually do it when I change engine oil. The bike has 73,500 miles on it and it kind of surprised me to hear this noise today. I have a friend that says he has a final drive that came from his wife's bike when they triked it new.

One thing i forgot to mention is the bike has a slight pull to the left. That is why I went to the wheel bearings first.

Thanks
      Mike n Rhonda
      08 Level 3 Pearl White
      98 Aspencade - RIP
      Support our troops

Pick up a Trike take off final drive and replace the drive. I have seen them go bad as early as 40K. Not usually, but it happens.

Depends on what you are calling a bad grinding noise also.

Those tires do not have much of anyone saying anything good about them. Some of the reviews when Wingstuff sold them spoke of vibration and wobble. Shinko redesigned the tire, call them a journey now, the reviews are the same and nothing much good said about them.

Not being there to hear the noise myself, I am a little hesitant to say much, but I do know that my 1800 has always made noise if run in gear on the center stand. I think without any rolling resistance you may just be hearing backlash noises.
          I would drain the final and see what the oil looks like as my next step.

Kit Carson, I have the new tread pattern, still suck. Dont matter much on the rear as I will soon be going Darkside on the rear.

I am going to drain the final and actually remove it tomorrow, Took the day off just to work on bike. Have a friend that has a final drive in his garage and if there is any question it is going on. I want to ride the bike to Albuquerque Balloon Rally next weekend if at all possible.
            Mike n Rhonda
            08 Level 3 Pearl White
            98 Aspencade - RIP
            Support our troops

As jmohme suggested, before you go exchanging the final drive, you may want to recheck the noise you heard making sure there is resistance applied, via the rear brake, while you are running it on the center stand.
              Richard
              Darksider #390
              Murgie's FAQ

I have the same noise and vibration. It came up after changing the tires. I put Avon cobra's on mine thats when I got the noise and vibrations. Someone on the old forum said it was the tread on the side of the tire thats making the noise and vibration. I have about 4000 miles on those tires and they are all cupped and the front end wobbles coming to a stop. I will not buy Avon again.
                Iron Station, NC
                2003 GL1800A Illusion Blue
                USAF

Richard, Did check with a load and the noise was a lot less. I changed final drive oil and found no metal in the oil so fresh oil is in and old final drive is still in there. Replaced the tire and vibration and pull to the left is gone.

Toyfarm, I am sorry the Avons treated you that was too. I am going back to a bridgestone on the front.
                  Mike n Rhonda
                  08 Level 3 Pearl White
                  98 Aspencade - RIP
                  Support our troops

Originally posted by ColoradoWinger View Post
                    Richard, Did check with a load and the noise was a lot less. I changed final drive oil and found no metal in the oil so fresh oil is in and old final drive is still in there. Replaced the tire and vibration and pull to the left is gone.

Toyfarm, I am sorry the Avons treated you that was too. I am going back to a bridgestone on the front.
                    Glad you found the problem Mike. Man, these moto tires are a real PITA.
                    Richard
                    Darksider #390
                    Murgie's FAQ

I'm glad you found it and it wasn't anything more serious.

Originally posted by ColoradoWinger View Post

That's what mine look like. I guess I will half to change mine.
                        Iron Station, NC
                        2003 GL1800A Illusion Blue
                        USAF

Mike, if you go with a 'stone on the front....PLEASE inflate it to 40 psi. PLEASE........

The pictures of your front tire tells a big story. That has worn terribly. Here is a picture of my OEM front tire...with 20,270 miles on it, and you can see that it wore very evenly across the entire tread face...no scalloping at all. Bridgestone actually had this tire on display at this years Wing Ding, to show riders that with proper inflation, they can get higher mileage from their front tires.

Toyfarm...Avons are well known to be noisy tires, especialy in curves and when leaning.
                          Attached Files

For me, The Bridgestone G709 is far and away the best tire for a GL1800.
                            2007 Crucible Orange Metallic
                            2009 Kawasaki Red Concours 14
                            AMA Life Member 0672853
                            IBA Member 8846 Premier
                            NRA Life Member

MMR, those pictures are my rear tire. The front is similar but not as bad and ran at 40PSI. I had Bridgestones before these and was able to get only 10k from them but they wore evenly. Mike wife and I are above average on size and I ride a dirt road 2 miles per day which i know takes away tire life too. I will be putting the Stone back on the front this winter.
                              Mike n Rhonda
                              08 Level 3 Pearl White
                              98 Aspencade - RIP
                              Support our troops

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page