Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting Samsung Galaxy S5

This is more of an electronics related question than a mechanical question. I wasn't sure of the best board to put it in, but here goes...

I have a Galaxy S5 smartphone and I was wondering if anyone had mounted one on their handlebars yet? If so what mounting hardware did you use and did you run full-time power to it also? I was thinking about mounting mine so I can use the weather radar function and possibly Pandora radio and a couple of other Apps.

TIA!

Yes- I use a Kury Mount or you can "GOOGLE Cell mount for Motorcycle - a bunch of stuff will come up - Run usb power handel bars (remove wire cover) -If you need Power - my SG3 only last 2 hrs without it when using GPS or other app - S you need power. connect power & aux lead in left pocket & good to go - a Ziplock bag over it will keep it Dry -LOL!
    Whoever said money can’t buy happiness, never paid for a divorce

IBA # 40576

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Jim, I use the Ram "scissor" mount and have my S5 in a Life Proof case thus no need to worry. I have it mounted next to the GPS (Zumo 665) which is on one of Jon's old dash mounts. I like having it close so that it is a quick glance to see it. Like Westdc said, I have a power lead running to it so that it is powered and "on" during rides when I need to keep an eye on the weather. As shared, I really like the My Radar app as it follows me and allows for one touch action, thus no need to toggle through a bunch of other screens. Phone is Bluetooth(ed) into the Zumo.

Good luck with your project.
      __________________________________________________ __________

Why sweat the leg thing when I can still ride a Goldwing
      Member of the Hann-Amigo Trio

Originally posted by wingleader09 View Post
        This is more of an electronics related question than a mechanical question. I wasn't sure of the best board to put it in, but here goes...

I have a Galaxy S5 smartphone and I was wondering if anyone had mounted one on their handlebars yet? If so what mounting hardware did you use and did you run full-time power to it also? I was thinking about mounting mine so I can use the weather radar function and possibly Pandora radio and a couple of other Apps.

TIA!
        I do the same thing with my iPhone. The weather radar on the phone is far better than the one with XM.
        I didn't run power to mine, but I also don't run it full time. Only to occasionally check the weather or when the sky looks threatening.
        For mounting, I used a bicycle mount that was designed to work with my Lifeproof case. I modified the bike mount by adding a standard Ram Ball.
        If you are going to mount your phone where it could get wet, you should check Lifeproof out.

Originally posted by jmohme View Post

I do the same thing with my iPhone. The weather radar on the phone is far better than the one with XM.
          I didn't run power to mine, but I also don't run it full time. Only to occasionally check the weather or when the sky looks threatening.
          For mounting, I used a bicycle mount that was designed to work with my Lifeproof case. I modified the bike mount by adding a standard Ram Ball.
          If you are going to mount your phone where it could get wet, you should check Lifeproof out.
          Thanks for the tip on Lifeproof cases. I'd probably run power because I want to use Bubbler so people can "follow" my travels.

Ram mount X-grip and ram clutch perch mount.
            2013 Black F6B

Originally posted by Road Seeker
              I used a Ram mount Xgrip, works really well and amazingly strong
              Originally posted by JeffP View Post
              Ram mount X-grip and ram clutch perch mount.
              I have been looking at the Ram X-Grip, but wanted to see if there were any other good options before purchasing it. Anyone using a case other than the Lifeproof case that you are happy with?

Also run the X-grip and power from the left cubby. Since I run weather, Bubbler and maps, the power is necessary. the Life Proof case is worth is worth every penny. Prior to X-Grip, tried a different brand and the phone came off at roughly 60MPH. Phone survived and you can't tell by looking at the case anyting happened. I have witness' to the incident.

I use a RAM Mounts Universal Spring Loaded Cell Phone Holder they work great for the bigger phones. there around 20 bucks
                  2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page