Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to replace the alternator?

My 2002 with 165K miles is currently in the shop for service and I'm considering an alternator change while its torn apart.

We are planning some bigger rides this year to Alaska, Canada, New England, etc. If the bike were to break down somewhere when I'm alone it's no big deal, but the wife has health issues and if the breakdown were to happen in the middle of nowhere it would be hard for her to handle it, thus the thought of preemptive replacement.

Thoughts?

Pull it and have it rebuilt? If so, any recommendations on who to send it to?

Buy a new replacement? If so, any recommendations of what to get / who to get it from?

Thanks for any help.
    * Brian & Brenda * IBA 50053 & 50354 * 2002 Gold Wing
    * Founding riders of the Atomic 1000 SS1K
    * Tour Of Honor riders since 2012

Around $600 for new OEM model - the '06+ version (higher output) will go in place of the '01 - '05 model.

A guy that's been rebuilding them: http://tinyurl.com/y9cdu5dl

Two major faults, it seems - bearings and rebuilds that don't last.
    Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Brian. Seeing your Alternator lasted far longer than some that failed under 100,000

Its a no brainer to just buy another OEM Alternator.

Your rolling the dice now. Why do it on a rebuild, or aftermarket alternator that is known to use cheap bearings.

When I rebuild Alternators, I only use Japanese (NTN) bearings.And the same voltage regulator/brush set Honda uses.

Ask yourself. Can you be sure "everyone else is using the correct parts?"

BTW. Your alternator is 1100 watts. The 06 up alternators are 1300 watts.

Based on your alternators longevity. You'll be just fine with the OEM $325 Alt, that is in the bike now.
      https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...ing/alternator
      **You may not like the Truth-But that doesn't change it!**
      "Life is Tough-It's tougher when you are stupid"
      1981 CB900C -DCT
      1986 GL1200 SEi - DCT
      2004 GL1800 - "Modified Ring & Pinion"

Ken / Rocky, thank you for the comments.

Rocky, Ken said the newer, higher output will be a direct replacement but you seemed to indicate that I should just stick with the original version for the bike; did I interpret that wrong?
        I think I would prefer to have the higher wattage for running two-up with heated gear cranked, multiple lights blazing, heated grips on high, etc, so unless there is a reason I shouldn't go to the higher wattage...

Originally posted by LD Rider View Post
          Ken / Rocky, thank you for the comments.

Rocky, Ken said the newer, higher output will be a direct replacement but you seemed to indicate that I should just stick with the original version for the bike; did I interpret that wrong?
          I think I would prefer to have the higher wattage for running two-up with heated gear cranked, multiple lights blazing, heated grips on high, etc, so unless there is a reason I shouldn't go to the higher wattage...
          Brian. ALL the GL1800 Alternators are a Direct fit. (Identical casings)

The only difference being the wattage.

I'm aware of your bikes set up.

But you haven't had any charging issues have you?

A alternator will Constantly Charge at full power until the Voltage regulator kicks in.
          Then the Voltage regulator shunts the extra voltage after the battery is fully charged.
          Regulator opens again as you draw more power from the battery with any accessory that requires wattage.

This is the list of what can cause an Alternator fail.
          1. Voltage regulator. (Brushes are part of the regulator)
          2. Armature (Rarely go bad)
          3. Bearings.

The first thing I add to any of my bikes is a Digital Volt meter.

If it starts acting erratic-The regulator is going south.

My Advice to you is.
          1. Install a digital volt meter.
          2. Buy a new alternator - install it now.
          3. Carry the old one in the bike as insurance with you on "ANY LONG TRIP".

As they say. Better to have it and not need it. - Than to need it and not have it!

1981 CB900C -DCT
          1986 GL1200 SEi - DCT

Thank you, Rocky , but a couple more uneducated questions.

On Partzilla's site for the 2006 (higher wattage) Wing, they show a 3A 4A 5A 7A and 8A choice for the GL1800. What's the difference or does it make any difference which one I choose?

When I choose the 8A and then alternator it shows me two different alternator assys: A61 and S41. How do I know which one to get?

Originally posted by LD Rider View Post
              Thank you, Rocky , but a couple more uneducated questions.

On Partzilla's site for the 2006 (higher wattage) Wing, they show a 3A 4A 5A 7A and 8A choice for the GL1800. What's the difference or does it make any difference which one I choose?

When I choose the 8A and then alternator it shows me two different alternator assys: A61 and S41. How do I know which one to get?
              I can't explain why Honda has 2 part numbers for the same Alt??. If I could.I'd be an employee. lol (possibly two different vendors??)

After looking at what level each alt fits. I'd buy the A61 as it fits the most optioned bike (airbag)
              1981 CB900C -DCT
              1986 GL1200 SEi - DCT

LD Rider " they show a 3A 4A 5A 7A and 8A choice for the GL1800. What's the difference or does it make any difference which one I choose?"

Those are the various option levels. As Rocky stated, the 8A is the airbag model, the 7A would be the navigation unit, etc. In some of the literature, these may be shown as Roman numerals (7A is VIIA, 8A is VIIIA in the service manual).

Somewhere around here, I posted a partial decoder ring for Honda part numbers. The suffix (last set of letters/digits) in a part number can mean multitudes of things; only Honda knows their actual meaning - and it depends on what the widget is. In some cases, its used for colors, etc. A part that is superseded by another part may also show up on the list. Have a look at the 2016 & 2017 models to see what part was used on them. Many times, those newer models become interchangeable with older models. You'll see original part lined out & new part number in place of it.

If the fitment is identical between them (they are...) then it's simply a matter of ordering one of them. ​​​​​​​
                Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Here is a more reasonably priced Alternator that work in all year Gl1800's,

And its sold by a board Sponsor. https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1.../318820/143433
                  Info from there site!.
                  This is a GL1800 Compu-Fire alternator. This alternator puts out 150 amps! This has a temperature compensated voltage regulator and puts out 80 amps at idle. The stock alternator on the 2001-2005 GL1800's put out a maximum of 78 amps and the alternator on the 2006-2017 models put out 110 amps. It is great for bikes that have a lot of additional electrical equipment. It will fit all Goldwing GL1800s and F6B's from 2001-2017. 2112-0834

1981 CB900C -DCT
                  1986 GL1200 SEi - DCT

Thanks all. I appreciate the knowledge lessons. OEM alternator has been ordered.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page