Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse issue

2016 Gold Wing. Reverse will sometimes not fully engage when button is pushed. It makes a grinding sound when it doesn't engage. I use the reverse very little and can get by without it. Is there any danger of causing damage by occasionally using reverse or should I avoid using it until the dealer can work on it under warranty next winter?

The reverse cables are in need of adjustment.

You can try engaging/disengaging the reverse button a couple times, to see if it will engage properly?.

Sometimes its where the reverse gear is in relation to the starter gear, any movement in either will get full engagement. (Think in terms of a corkscrew)

The only Gear damage I have seen is with trikes. (no two wheelers)

My suggestion>
    If you find reverse won't engage?
    Hit the start button briefly. 1-second. (yes while the bike is running--The starter won't do any damage either)
    Then try and reengage the reverse button.
    This has worked in the past.(On a few bikes.)

Cable adjustment resolves the issue.

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
    "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
    Current bikes.
    1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
    1986 GL1200 SEi
    2004 GL1800

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Check out this post from another board. Same thing happened on my 2015 trike. I used Wd40 with Teflon product (it dries so it won’t collect dust and grime)

https://gl1800riders/forums/4-ge...o-reverse.html

• Rocky
        Rocky commented
        Editing a comment
        FYI- You can't post any link to a thread,from over there on this board.
        This boards owners prerogative! (And rightly so I might add)

I have a manual-trans 2018 with Reverse problems. The dealer talked to Honda Service and discovered that Reverse-Cable-Adjustment should have been included in routine service, but Honda never advised dealers nor show the adjustments in normal maintenance processes. My dealer was able to dig and find the adjustments. I got copies, pages 6-16 and 6-17, of some Honda dealer repair manual. I sent pictures to Cruiseman as I cannot figure out how to get my pictures to show clearly on this site. Mine are mobile-phone pictures of a photocopy. I saved as Word file attempting to clean up the quality. Sorry, but perhaps Cruiseman can help reproduce the image for you. The dealer's adjustments helped as my Reverse now operates . . . most of the time, but not all the time and it will not walk my Wing up a hill. Frankly, I have given up using Honda-Reverse and always park facing uphill or with a a good exit/outlet. I just assume I am riding a Harley when I park! My legs serve any back-up needs on level ground. Honda-Reverse? Fa-Git-Aboud-It! Think about leaving when you show up! Works great! -Doug
      Doug

Thanks for the help! BTW, reverse worked perfect today.

• kwthom
          kwthom commented
          Editing a comment
          My '06 got progressively worse with age...I've not had issues at all with my '16.

Gotta use *all* of those buttons periodically to keep 'em working.

On my 2012 I had to manage to hold in the reverse button AND hit the reverse/starter button together and it would go backward. Is adjusting the cables going to help with this, or is this a stuck switch I probably need to exercise. I rarely use my reverse so I figure this was a use it or lose it situation. I'd like to have it functioning in case I need it.
        Costa Mesa, CA
        2012 RED GL1800

Glad to read you got it fixed we always need to tinker around with these rides to keep them in tip top condition. Ride Safe Ride A-lot

2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

Originally posted by glarson3 View Post
            Is adjusting the cables going to help with this (YES)
            I'd like to have it functioning in case I need it. (Adjust the cables)

You need to adjust your cables.

Follow these Service manual procedures.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1502.JPG Views:	1 Size:	341.5 KB ID:	118756Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1503.JPG Views:	1 Size:	279.5 KB ID:	118760Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1504.JPG Views:	1 Size:	291.2 KB ID:	118757Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1505.JPG Views:	1 Size:	284.7 KB ID:	118758Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1506.JPG Views:	1 Size:	338.1 KB ID:	118759
            Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
            "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
            Current bikes.
            1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
            1986 GL1200 SEi
            2004 GL1800

That's encouraging. Hopefully I can either do it myself or find someone qualified to do it for me. Rocky to the white courtesy phone.
              Costa Mesa, CA
              2012 RED GL1800

Originally posted by glarson3 View Post
                That's encouraging. Hopefully I can either do it myself or find someone qualified to do it for me. Rocky to the white courtesy phone.
                Well, hell. Y'all are just down the street from one another....relatively speaking.
                2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Originally posted by clayusmcret View Post

Well, hell. Y'all are just down the street from one another....relatively speaking.
                  It's a long street, but yes. Known as Interstate 5. Just a large Marine Corp base between us.
                  Costa Mesa, CA
                  2012 RED GL1800

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page