Lightweight LED lights *on* the mirror screw?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightweight LED lights *on* the mirror screw?

Okay...reading with interest reviews of the EC LED bulb replacements...nicely done.

Now, been also toying with the aux lights situation. I've seen a couple of setups that I thought were rather ingenious until I just looked at the bike.

I presently have a spacer and a longer-than-normal screw from a cheap set of mirror 'wings' that I've broke twice, so I'm done with them.

What I don't know is it can't be that much heft inside that mirror adjustor, but has anyone had success in mounting a small (e.g. 2" or less) LED light and bracket off that screw?

I've seen some of the late Ron Smith-styled GL light brackets that are on the market now. Think these were designed for 20-year-old lighting (think thick glass, heavy bodies, heat skinks...)

With LED lighting being so much better...is there a better way for a small light to fit there without inducing damage?

Ken, I'm not an expert, but if that screw can support a wind deflector at highway speeds it should have no trouble with a small-case LED. I'd go for it

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I may need to do a bit of research and see - I know others (in other places) have done the LED modification to the mirrors; that should show me what's back there.

That could give me enough info to see whether or not it will be viable.

I know this is an old post but I was wondering if you wanted to know how I mounted my LED driving lights under the mirrors' on my 2003 GL1800.

Thanks, but managed to come up with the *right* choice - both for lighting and for the mounting:

Ken, what lights and mounts are those?
            DS#1146 IBA#55800 50CC,BBG, BB1500 x2, SS2K, SS1Kx3 CERTIFIED ALL DS, PGR RC
            2010 Level3 Endeavor Reverse Trike BS Driveguard

• kwthom
              kwthom commented
              Editing a comment
              LEDRider LX5 lights, driven with Skene IQ-275 controller.

PIAA 74181 brackets. I got very, very, very lucky and found someone that had three sets NOS. I was a dumb-a$$ and only purchased one of them. They've not been made in several years. Dayle over at Firecreek builds a similar set (doesn't have the deep drop-down this one does)

One of the forums sponsors has similar mirror brackets and led lights. SOCALMOTOGEAR

• kwthom
              kwthom commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, those brackets *do* look to be the right offset in order to get the lights under the mirror.

The Skene gives me the ability to have two intensity levels with those. At 20%, they can be a driving light, but when I turn on my high-beams, the controller then puts the aux lights into 100% mode. Bringing along your own daylight at times really helps.

The Skene controller is nice as well as the options of hooking it up to the high beams and/or horn for instant on.

• kwthom
              kwthom commented
              Editing a comment
              I got slick & purchased a connector that goes into the OEM circuit to drive the hi-beam on-off condition of the Skene.

I've also got a relay/switch setup that'll allow me to run hi beams without the aux lights. I'm finding that it's much nicer to only run the aux lights when needed.

Funny story...got the aux lights on, went for a ride, used them sparingly, since I knew they weren't aligned at all.

I went to my favorite location - clear area that has a building wall about 50 yards away that I use to align the aux.

Using a hat to cover one light, then the other, I got the alignment close enough for the time being.

As I rode into the neighborhood and got around the corner, I hit the aux, just to get an idea of how much of the tree-tops I'm lighting up.

So, open the garage, pull in and dismount the bike. Ten seconds later, with his alley lights lit up, a sheriff's deputy zooms down the street.

Looking for the genius that decided to briefly toss 10,000+ lumens of light into the neighborhood? Hehehe...

• workhorse
              workhorse commented
              Editing a comment
              Hope you didn't get pinched. I put my skene on a 3-way toggle switch and programmed it at 0%, 70% and 100% driving Baja Designs Squadron Pros @ 4,900 lumens each. I haven't hooked them up to the horns or high beams. I have them mounted under the headlights and above the front fender using a modified PIAA mount. I think having them higher under the rear view mirrors would throw a better light pattern down the road.

• kwthom
              kwthom commented
              Editing a comment
              Nope - kept driving right on by. :D

I've never had aux lights anywhere else, but it's obviously a solved geometry problem.

Flat road, and lights slightly aimed toward the right ditch, I can get 1/4 mile of truly useable light on the road surface. Being as physically high as possible does seem to help with that.

In addition, I think there's a bit of obscurity - dark hardware on the light, along with a black bike, your eye is drawn more toward the amber marker/turn signal light than that big-a$$ed reflector.

I hate trolls.

• kwthom
              kwthom commented
              Editing a comment
              Moderator took out the trash...Thanx!
          Working...
          X