Progressive Monotubes Upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progressive Monotubes Upgrade

After 55,000 miles on my 2010 wing the front forks were getting sloppy lots of pounding when I hit bumps. I saw a set of monotubes for sale from a member of are forum. SC-Wing I purchased the set from him he had them on a trike but they didn't work for him. First I must say Eldon is very nice fellow and was great and very helpful I received the set before he got the funds. Once I installed the monotubes and took my wing out for a test ride, I couldn't believe how my wing handle a completely different ride just love the way she handles. I did also purchase a used rear Shock with less then 10,000 mile on them want to put a new progressive spring on it with a SS steel hose. Not sure I need to anymore my rear shock seems to be working much better with my upgrade. I have my preload set to 6 from 15 one up. Do you thing I'll feel a difference with a new spring and the newer shock
    2010 Pearl Yellow L3, Double Darksider #856, Ultimate Midrider Seat w Yellow inlays, F4+4 Tinted, Live To Ride, Love my Wing

Go with the new shock and the Progressive spring. Doing so will catch the rear end up to your new front end. You wont regret doing so.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Set your preload on 25(ASSUMING the pump is full!) and leave it there!

Originally posted by Yellowbird View Post
        After 55,000 miles on my 2010 wing the front forks were getting sloppy lots of pounding when I hit bumps. I saw a set of monotubes for sale from a member of are forum. SC-Wing I purchased the set from him he had them on a trike but they didn't work for him. First I must say Eldon is very nice fellow and was great and very helpful I received the set before he got the funds. Once I installed the monotubes and took my wing out for a test ride, I couldn't believe how my wing handle a completely different ride just love the way she handles. I did also purchase a used rear Shock with less then 10,000 mile on them want to put a new progressive spring on it with a SS steel hose. Not sure I need to anymore my rear shock seems to be working much better with my upgrade. I have my preload set to 6 from 15 one up. Do you thing I'll feel a difference with a new spring and the newer shock
        You got Eldon confused with another guy who was selling a set of tubes just before he did. (that guy had a trike and lost ground clearance with the tubes because he had extended fork caps with his triple tree)

This is Eldon's bike. still a two wheeler.

If your new rear shock had a CLEAN bump stop like this?.

Then you have the best shock to date. (If it was dirty at all?, (there is no way of knowing it's true mileage because the dirt can't be washed out)

Contrary to what was said. Leaving a full actuator on 25 gives a hard ride.

I like to make use out of the settings.
        I'll run from 13-17 Solo.
        25 2-up if I'm hammering the twisty's. (My wife lets me do what I want, ask anyone who is in my mirrors)

By changing the presets you take some of the harshness from a full 25 setting, unless you are a heavy weight??

A SS hose makes no difference what so ever!!. guys buy them because others say they did. (Follow the leader thing)

The 12 up shock comes with a 1,000 pound spring.
        The Progressive spring is a 1,000-1200 pound spring depending on your preset preferences.

The progressive spring allows you to have the best of both worlds depending on your mood.

After trying straight rate springs,I prefer to not ride with a stick up my azz feeling!!
        You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Thanks for your info Rocky the shock I got must be a 2010 and down its very clean almost new looking no bump stop on it. I don't like my preset at 25 way to stiff for me 10 to 14 is wear I am at right now like it there , I did get Eldon mixed up with the trike guy it worked out fine don't thing it's worth the new spring got a spare shock I'll put on the shelve and work with what I have four now. Thanks again for your Relpy Ride Safe Out There.
          2010 Pearl Yellow L3, Double Darksider #856, Ultimate Midrider Seat w Yellow inlays, F4+4 Tinted, Live To Ride, Love my Wing

Originally posted by Yellowbird View Post
            Thanks for your info Rocky the shock I got must be a 2010 and down its very clean almost new looking no bump stop on it. I don't like my preset at 25 way to stiff for me 10 to 14 is wear I am at right now like it there , I did get Eldon mixed up with the trike guy it worked out fine don't thing it's worth the new spring got a spare shock I'll put on the shelve and work with what I have four now. Thanks again for your Relpy Ride Safe Out There.
            No bump stop on it you say???

Heed my Warning-- The bump stop is the Only Way you can tell there is no mileage on the shock!!. There is absolutely no reason why any trike shop would remove the bump stop & mounting Clevis from the shock! The shock can be washed to look new - The dirt will not wash out of the bump stop!

Here is my thread on the Evolution of the 3 GL1800 rear shocks. https://www.theglforum.com/forum/mes...g-rear-shock-s

I wouldn't waste my time installing anything but a Blue label 3rd gen shock. They are so much better that any of the two previous shocks.

Here is a good example of Sellers trying to deceive a buyer (Or they don't know what they are talking about??) http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-Honda-GL-...RXLT~a&vxp=mtr

He is selling a new 01-05 shock as a 2009 2nd gen shock!! at least the bump stop is clean!

Thanks for the write up on the 3 versions of shocks I know I read it before. I do have a very clean bump stop black label just didn't know what I was looking for. Maybe the progressive spring is the way to go on the 2nd generation shock or I'll just look around for a 3rd gen shock.

Rocky, do you remember the explanation of the rear suspension given by the owner of Tail Wind Trailers(Tom Finch), given some time ago on another forum? A very wise man! At the end of his post, he suggested the preload be set at 25(assuming the pump is full, I'm sure) and leave it there. This was long enough ago, I'm sure it was aimed at the first 1800 Wings. Wonder if it still applies??

Yes,I remember the thread.

I would say that too if I dragged a heavily loaded trailer that is constantly connected to my bike wherever I went.

Common sense says that all that added weight back there requires you have your rear shock set at it's highest setting.

I utilize what Honda gave me--Two memory settings that I set to my own liking for how the bike is loaded. whether that be Solo or Two up or either of those towing a trailer or not?.

No one can say with certainty what will work for you. all anyone can do is give you all the options out there and let you make up your own mind on what will work for you?.

I have read the same tread an in the past I did ride at the highest settings 20 to 25 withe old stock forks, After I upgraded to the Progressive mono tubes the ride got very stiff, I find the ride much better at 12 to 14 single up. Haven't rode 2 up yet.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page