Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Mounting

Finally got all the parts and pieces together- the EZ-GPS vent mount (ez-gpsmount.com) which enables mounting to the vent where it's easily seen (didn't like the RAM mount on clutch reservoir- too close) and I got the proper mount for the Garmin 2597 from RAM (check carefully- if you buy a kit in the store marked "for Goldwing" it will have the hardware to mount to the brake or clutch reservoir but will have a universal holder which may not work well- my GPS popped out on a bump and was saved only by the charging cord). The EZ mount mates,with RAM and some other mounting system plates, and the proper plate holds that Garmin really well. To that I added a Glare Stomper GPS Sunshade (Amazon or other sources) (glarestomper.com) which attaches with velcro. The first photo is a closeup with the Glare Stomper installed, the middle photo is from driver's eye level (I'm 5' 8") and you can see it sits just above the speedo; and the left photo is a closeup of the Glare Stomper.
    I think this is the best- a GPS that actually works and is in an easy to see location
    Anyone wanting any more specifics PM or ask on thread.

Capt, I have a few questions, and these are meant to be polite, not sarcastic. With the Garmin 2597 mounted up on top of the dash, in front of the windshield vent (technically behind the vent, but you know what I mean), is it a stretch to rearch for the GPS if you need to touch the screen to make changes? Since the 2597 is not a Zumo model, and you do not appear to have it in a waterproof case...are you at all concerned about water coming through the vent, and soaking your GPS ?

My Zumo 550 is mounted via the clutch reservoir, with RAM mounts, but....I have it set back quite a ways...not the typical mount that comes with the units for mounting on the handlebars, and for me (which, everyone is different) the reach is perfect, and it is NOT too close to me...again, I set it back. My GPS is just about the same distance from me as the clutch reservoir itself.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I found the handle bar mounts too close for my liking also.A light coloured shirt or coat reflection would wash out the screen.Too close and taking your eyes too far off of the road in front.Mines sitting on the dash(direct line of site) and I added the vent after so I just raised it up above the GPS.Works well for me.
      Chris
      Darkside # 1602
      If I knew it would've last this long I would've taken better care of it.

MMR- you are a far more experienced rider than I am, and I will try to answer your questions:
        Waterproofing- I plan to use a Ziploc bag in wet weather. I have heard of others doing this, so we'll see.
        RAM mount position- I had mine tilted forward as far as it could go, but for me this still positioned it in the very lower left part of my field of vision- not good for me.
        Entering changes underway- I don't. I stop. I'll admit the built-in zoom feature of the NAV is handy, but I still rate it as the worst GPS I've ever used, so when I used this new unit on a recent 900 mile trip, even in the too-close position, it was far superior to the built-in system.
        The Zumo is probably the standard of excellence, but of course costs more, so if this setup works as well as it did on my recent trip and keeps on ticking I'll be a satisfied camper.
        As always, nice hearing from you (and others who reply) and I appreciate hour thoghts and insights

Capt, if you do use the Ziplock bag, try to use a Freezer Ziplock bag, as they are quite a bit heavier-duty than a standard ziplock bag. The plastic is thicker. I hope that works for you.

Oh, I agree that the OEM NAV GPS is terrible, and it is disappointing that Honda has not recognized that so many owners of NAV bikes have chosen to supplement their bieks with an additional GPS.

But Capt, you don't make any adjustments while in motion? I can understand "why", for safety sake. I guess the real difference is that I have been using this same Zumo 550 for the past 8 years (updated version), on several different bikes, and I am so familiar with it...comfortable with it...and I intentionally keep it OUT of my direct line of vision when riding. Unlike you and Chris (FatWing), I do not want my GPS in my direct line of sight. I want to view the road and landscape of my journey as much as possible, to scan for possible problems. If I want to "see" my GPS, I have to intentionally look off to an angle, slightly to the left, to see my GPS. But I use it only as a tool.....momentary info....to assist in routing, etc. I make a lot of changes along the way, while in motion, but the Zumo 550 is very friendly for that use.

Personally, I still believe that a GPS on a motorcycle is a dangerous item, as it is distracting for the rider. I tell most people to not use one, until they have mastered it at home first, then mastered it in their car, then can mount it on their bike...and leave it alone.

I wish the best for you with your Garmin 2597, and for all future travels.

I made my own Farkle shelf. It's mounted to the visor cover.
            Everything on the shelf stays dry in downpours with the vent closed.
            I can adjust the shield with the shelf staying right where it is.

Windbender sell a similar shelf in two sizes.

Life is Tough, But It's Tougher If You're Stupid: "John Wayne"

Originally posted by MMR View Post
              Capt, if you do use the Ziplock bag, try to use a Freezer Ziplock bag, as they are quite a bit heavier-duty than a standard ziplock bag. The plastic is thicker. I hope that works for you.

Oh, I agree that the OEM NAV GPS is terrible, and it is disappointing that Honda has not recognized that so many owners of NAV bikes have chosen to supplement their bieks with an additional GPS.

But Capt, you don't make any adjustments while in motion? I can understand "why", for safety sake. I guess the real difference is that I have been using this same Zumo 550 for the past 8 years (updated version), on several different bikes, and I am so familiar with it...comfortable with it...and I intentionally keep it OUT of my direct line of vision when riding. Unlike you and Chris (FatWing), I do not want my GPS in my direct line of sight. I want to view the road and landscape of my journey as much as possible, to scan for possible problems. If I want to "see" my GPS, I have to intentionally look off to an angle, slightly to the left, to see my GPS. But I use it only as a tool.....momentary info....to assist in routing, etc. I make a lot of changes along the way, while in motion, but the Zumo 550 is very friendly for that use.

Personally, I still believe that a GPS on a motorcycle is a dangerous item, as it is distracting for the rider. I tell most people to not use one, until they have mastered it at home first, then mastered it in their car, then can mount it on their bike...and leave it alone.

I wish the best for you with your Garmin 2597, and for all future travels.
              Neither the GPS or the vent that I installed over it affect my view of the road at all.I tend to look farther ahead down the road then right in front of me.

Chris
              Darkside # 1602
              If I knew it would've last this long I would've taken better care of it.

Chris (Fatwing), I did not mean to imply that your GPS was blocking your view of the road. Line of sight is different than having something blocking your view. I know of a lot of riders that have the GPS mounted where you do, because they do not want to take their eyes too far afield from where they normally look down the road, whereas I do intentionally want to take my eyes away from the line of sight of where I an riding, and look off to the slight side-view to see my GPS. My comment was not meant to be derogatory, simply an observation of the differences.

What I use is Yoda's mount. easy on easy off. Two years ago went to sturgis for the rally mounted using this mount and holder for Gps off fleabay. Only thing I didn't have was a glare protector. Worked very well. First night made a glare protector for the GPS. Cardboard and duct tape. Not the best in the world but it held up for the two week that I was on the road.

Cool- you get to learn a lot about others' preferences and gadgetry!

Between storms today I finally got a chance to try out my new EZ-Mount. Worked very well! It does not block anything I would normally be looking at and the screen was reflecting my dark helmet, so no more wash-out reflecting off my shirt or drink in the Butler.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0733.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	38329 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0735.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	38331
                      Attached Files
                      2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                      USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                      US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                      2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                      2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page