Belly Pan Feasibility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belly Pan Feasibility

I’ve been considering a belly pan but am uncertain if I would be able to continue using my J&S jack to service my bike. Pic 1 shows the bike up on the jack. Pic 2 and 3 indicate the lifting points for the jack.

I routinely use the jack for servicing my bike whether it be for detailing, oil changes, brake service or wheel removal, etc. As shown in Pic 2, the rear jack point (center stand attachment pivot) presents no problem and would not be affected by installing a belly pan. The front jack point is where my concern is. A belly pan would obviously cover the bosses on the bottom of the engine case and any lifting would be directly against the belly pan (assuming that the belly pan is in direct contact with the engine cases when installed). I’ve thought about making cut-outs in the belly pan to enable the jack to contact the engine bosses but that would require carving up the belly pan ( which seems feasable but don’t know if I want to go that route).

My bike is a 2015 purchased new in very late 2015 and is just about ready to turn 40,000 miles. The coolant recovery tank looks to be in good shape so I’m just not sure if a belly pan is really what I need to be spending more money on. I changed the coolant within the past 10 days and inspected the tank which I could find no problem with. I’ve read other threads on belly pans and am aware of what could happen which leads me to get some advice on this.

My only other concerns are 1.) engine heat build-up due to blocking air flow, and 2.) the exhaust pipes being in direct contact with the belly pan. Are these ligitimate concerns or am I over-thinking this?

Has anyone out there in GL1800 land used a similar jack in conjunction with a belly pan? If so, I’d like to hear from you, and of course anyone elses opinion.

I learn a great deal just by reading.
    You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Ironically, while searching YouTube I found that Chris Caliente has installed a belly pan with a cut-out a section for his floor jack. Doesn't look like a real clean cut but this is what I am talking about.

• kwthom
        kwthom commented
        Editing a comment
        One person's opinion...

Why bother?

IMO - you're overthinking this.

Depending *where* you ride and *how* you ride, a belly pan is just like suspenders on your pants that have a belt.

Originally posted by Dan0007 View Post

I’ve been considering a belly pan but am uncertain if I would be able to continue using my J&S jack to service my bike.

I routinely use the jack for servicing my bike whether it be for detailing,

The coolant recovery tank looks to be in good shape so I’m just not sure if a belly pan is really what I need to be spending more money on.

My only other concerns are
        1.) engine heat build-up due to blocking air flow, and
        2.) the exhaust pipes being in direct contact with the belly pan. Are these ligitimate concerns or am I over-thinking this?

1. Belly pans do not interfere with any motorcycle jack. (Do not hack up a BP like that your tube idiot did)

The purpose for a belly pan is simple.
        1. Protects the oil filter by deflecting any crap run over by the front tire.
        2. Protects the recovery tank (see #1)
        3. keeps the bottom of the engine cleaner (see #1)

Contrary to Internet Myths!
        Belly Pans DO NOT Harbor heat!
        The temp gage stays the same before & after the install of a BP.

If you don't want to help protect your azz from a possible coolant tank puncture spewing slippery coolant in front of your rear tire-Then Don't spend money on one!

Wingstuff sells a Diamond plate BP that is thicker than a beer can that most BP's are made of.
        Anyone who buys a louvered SS pan, doesn't own a bike jack. (LOL)

And finally. YES you are over thinking a belly pan.

You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Back in February, I decided to get a belly pan. The one I had didn't have the front section which is where I feel I need the most protection. Bought the vented one from wingstuff.com for 50 bucks. http://wingstuff.com/products/34515-...?from_search=1

In 10 minutes, I had the old one off and the new one on. I did this because I have had nicks on my oil filter from rocks and a lot of dirt build up from the road. All the things that Rocky mentioned above. So far, I'm happy with the results.

I'm an IT guy, not a mechanic like some of you. I don't use a jack. I change my oil, filter and rear gear oil on the center stand. Everything else, I have done by a local Goldwing mechanic that's priced right. Just my 2 centavos worth.
          Attached Files
          Robert "Trip" Hilliard
          2006 Goldwing GL1800 Level 2 "Cisco"
          AMA # 3539665
          Blue Knights #59055
          rehilliard.net/hondagoldwing.htm

Originally posted by Rocky View Post

1. Belly pans do not interfere with any motorcycle jack. (Do not hack up a BP like that your tube idiot did)

The purpose for a belly pan is simple.
            1. Protects the oil filter by deflecting any crap run over by the front tire.
            2. Protects the recovery tank (see #1)
            3. keeps the bottom of the engine cleaner (see #1)

Contrary to Internet Myths!
            Belly Pans DO NOT Harbor heat!
            The temp gage stays the same before & after the install of a BP.

If you don't want to help protect your azz from a possible coolant tank puncture spewing slippery coolant in front of your rear tire-Then Don't spend money on one!

Wingstuff sells a Diamond plate BP that is thicker than a beer can that most BP's are made of.
            Anyone who buys a louvered SS pan, doesn't own a bike jack. (LOL)

And finally. YES you are over thinking a belly pan.
            😂😂😂 👍🏼

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page