Rivco aluminum trailer hitch.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about the wiring harness. I watched the video of the plug and play connector and then came the customer having to wire the connector to the trailer. Does Rivco make a pre-wired plug based on the model of bike or brand of trailer purchased? If I don't feel comfortable wiring something to this Canbus system, will a Honda Dealer do it even though they didn't sell the trailer or the hitch?
    STURGIS 1993,

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• Trailboss
      Trailboss commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks kwthom, it does.

• kwthom
      kwthom commented
      Editing a comment
      going to go off on a bit of a tangent - does relate somewhat to the OP's discussion...

See, this is where things get a little weird - for both the owner of the motorcycle *and* the dealer.

For decades, Honda has had in their owners manual a warning about adding trailer hitches on a bike, due to safety concerns. Now, there's been thousands of trailers that have millions of miles on them. Accidents as a result of a trailer? Yeah, sure there has been some.

So, many dealers may not want to countermand the OEM's directive about installation of hitches, wiring, and the like. If something bad *did* happen, there could be a potential avenue to legal action. Sure, you'll pay shop rates to have that installed ($80-$120/hr?), but that simply is them installing your stuff on your bike - labor only.

Thus, as an owner, you and only you can determine the safety of the condition (based on discussion in person with people, as well as reading and learning from forums such as this one) to a point that you would be agreeable with doing any non-standard accessory install.

Even companies like Rivco, Bushtec and the like are very cautious about instructions provided in their documentation about installations, load capacities and the like. In essence, "follow these directions to the letter, and you shouldn't have a problem!" This then becomes their legal escape clause.

It's like this with *any* non-standard (e.g. accessory other than a genuine Honda component) you want to add to your motorcycle. Only you can make the determination it's safe for you and any passenger you wish to take with you.

No gloom or doom intended - just reality.

• Trailboss
      Trailboss commented
      Editing a comment
      Good thoughts kwthom. Thanks

Trailboss, i can not answer your question, sorry.
    I am not going to pull a trailer, so, i won't be doing any wiring.
    2016 GL1800 Candy Prominence Red leval1-bought August 24th,2017
    Clinton,Illinois

Hitch has been ordered from Wingstuff.
      love that place.
      Clinton,Illinois

Got this today, let the fun begin.
        Attached Files
        Clinton,Illinois

This is on order from Wingstuff. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180413-105714.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	94726
          Clinton,Illinois

This is coming from Ebay.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180414-145445.png
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	94728
            Clinton,Illinois

That looks like a great setup Mark...can't wait to see it on the bike. What is the weight of the box?? Hope it doe not block the brake lights.

John
              John - Richmond 2013 GL1800, Level 3

I think the box is 13 pounds.
                The hitch being 8 pounds, not sure what the aluminum rack is.
                This set up will not cover the tail lights, just the license plate.
                I wonder what the law will say about the plate?
                Clinton,Illinois

• Trailboss
                  Trailboss commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Depends on the mood of the officer. Velcro the plate to the box when using the hitch. Put back on the bike when not using the hitch. Of course, some stickler for traffic law will correct me and say you are also required to have the license plate illuminated so it can be read at night. Duct tape a cylume stick to the little bastard!

I just looked on you tube at several different videos, of Wings that use these racks...Everyone that I looked at had
                the license plate covered, looking from behind the bike...I read some of the comments,but no one mentioned anything
                about seeing the plate?? So maybe not a problem. What are you going to carry in the box Mark??

John

"What are you going to carry in the box Mark??"
                  Rain cloths, and junk we just can't do with out.
                  John, the main reason for this set up was to get away from needing a trailer, we don't camp, so this should do for what we want to take on weekend trips, my mother lives 400 miles from us, this will work out good for when we go see her, she was 87 on the 10th.
                  Clinton,Illinois

• Trailboss
                    Trailboss commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sounds like you've got the right idea. My idea of camping is Continental breakfast at Hampton Inn. Keep us posted on any problems you run across.

John, this is what it should look like.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20180415-054333.png Views:	2 Size:	1.14 MB ID:	94741
                  Clinton,Illinois

WOW cool 87 years young...Well on that picture you can see the plate...but even if the car behind you can't, I don't think it matters...Looks good Amigo

John

Got the hitch installed, went pritty good.
                      The instructions did not say to but i took off the exhaust pipes, what a huge difference with all the extra room.
                      When i change the rear tire, the left side pipe is coming off, always.
                      Clinton,Illinois

The hole i had to cut with a Dremel tool is not centered perfect. Click image for larger version  Name:	20180420_221349.jpg Views:	1 Size:	364.1 KB ID:	95086
                        Clinton,Illinois

More Click image for larger version

Name:	20180420_230550.jpg
Size:	320.7 KB
ID:	95088
                          Clinton,Illinois

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                          Working...
                          X