Rivco aluminum trailer hitch.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rivco aluminum trailer hitch.

This trailer hitch from Rivco fits a 2012 thru 2017, i think the part number is 18007-30. It is all aluminum. I'm not going to use it to tow a trailer, I'm going to use the hitch to install a hitch rack which is also made by Rivco. Does anyone have this hitch? If so, give me your thoughts. Thank you in advance.
    2016 GL1800 Candy Prominence Red leval1-bought August 24th,2017
    Clinton,Illinois

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180331-130912.png
Views:	61
Size:	609.1 KB
ID:	93846
    Clinton,Illinois

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Yes - same hitch has been on a 2006 and a 2012+ bike. I've used to both tow and to carry a hitch rack.

Absolutely zero issues.

Would buy again with no hesitation.

Thank you, thank you very much.
        Clinton,Illinois

You can't go wrong with a Rivco hitch. Excellent quality as are most of Rivco products. Being made of aluminum is a nice feature as it weighs only 8 lbs. and is lighter than some of the others.
          When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
          Jimi Hendrix
          Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

Rivco it is then.
            If i was to ever get a one wheel trailer, it would probably be a year or two.
            With a hitch rack, we could take along most any thing we would ever need as far as rain gear and cloths.
            I have been Googleing and see lots of great ideas from people on what they have.
            This should be a great alternative to a trailer.
            Clinton,Illinois

Does any one know if this hitch has a set screw/bolt to snug to keep the ball insert from rattling?
              Clinton,Illinois

• Trailboss
                Trailboss commented
                Editing a comment
                Don't know if it would work but some bicycle hitch locks have what you're talking about.

Originally posted by Markcuda View Post
              Does any one know if this hitch has a set screw/bolt to snug to keep the ball insert from rattling?
              Not sure about the Rivco but my Bushtec has a bolt to snug up and prevent rattling. Best to contact Rivco.
              When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
              Jimi Hendrix
              Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

Thank you.
                I just called Rivco and the guy said it does have set screws, yes, more than one, we will see.
                Clinton,Illinois

Good info, thinking of buying a Rivco also Thanks!

Bummy, what kind of trailer will you be pulling?
                    Clinton,Illinois

Starlight
                      Trailer
                      by Neosho Fiberglass. Model # 19 150 lbs. empty Pulled it many miles behind my Harley Road king, which I still have also.

Had to shrink down the file ! Click image for larger version

Name:	20160901_202219.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	379.0 KB
ID:	93979

That is beautiful.
                          Clinton,Illinois

Thanks! My 2016 Gl is black, so I think it will look ok behind it.

Question about the wiring harness. I watched the video of the plug and play connector and then came the customer having to wire the connector to the trailer. Does Rivco make a pre-wired plug based on the model of bike or brand of trailer purchased? If I don't feel comfortable wiring something to this Canbus system, will a Honda Dealer do it even though they didn't sell the trailer or the hitch?
                              STURGIS 1993,

• Trailboss
                                Trailboss commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Thanks kwthom, it does.

• kwthom
                                kwthom commented
                                Editing a comment
                                going to go off on a bit of a tangent - does relate somewhat to the OP's discussion...

See, this is where things get a little weird - for both the owner of the motorcycle *and* the dealer.

For decades, Honda has had in their owners manual a warning about adding trailer hitches on a bike, due to safety concerns. Now, there's been thousands of trailers that have millions of miles on them. Accidents as a result of a trailer? Yeah, sure there has been some.

So, many dealers may not want to countermand the OEM's directive about installation of hitches, wiring, and the like. If something bad *did* happen, there could be a potential avenue to legal action. Sure, you'll pay shop rates to have that installed ($80-$120/hr?), but that simply is them installing your stuff on your bike - labor only.

Thus, as an owner, you and only you can determine the safety of the condition (based on discussion in person with people, as well as reading and learning from forums such as this one) to a point that you would be agreeable with doing any non-standard accessory install.

Even companies like Rivco, Bushtec and the like are very cautious about instructions provided in their documentation about installations, load capacities and the like. In essence, "follow these directions to the letter, and you shouldn't have a problem!" This then becomes their legal escape clause.

It's like this with *any* non-standard (e.g. accessory other than a genuine Honda component) you want to add to your motorcycle. Only you can make the determination it's safe for you and any passenger you wish to take with you.

No gloom or doom intended - just reality.

• Trailboss
                                Trailboss commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Good thoughts kwthom. Thanks

Trailboss, i can not answer your question, sorry.
                              I am not going to pull a trailer, so, i won't be doing any wiring.
                              Clinton,Illinois

Hitch has been ordered from Wingstuff.
                                love that place.
                                Clinton,Illinois

Got this today, let the fun begin.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Clinton,Illinois

This is on order from Wingstuff. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180413-105714.png
Views:	59
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	94726
                                    Clinton,Illinois

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page