X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the american factory closed around 2010 and moved to Japan

Hi guys

1. Do you know the story?
    2. Was is a good thing for the customers?

Thanks for your feedback :-)

As I recall, Honda moved their main motorcycle production to Kumamoto. The factory is Ohio did not "close", it was refitted to manufacture the Honda Accord (I think) and other automotive products.

I was hopeful that I would see an increase in quality when I bought my 2012, knowing it was made in Japan, but I could not tell any difference in quality.
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | DVDs at WingStuff | DVDs at SoCalMotoGear | DVDs at Cyclemax | Videos On Demand

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Expansion of automotive production here in the States, and consolidating mid-sized and up motorcycle production in one facility in Japan.

https://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/30/...ycle-producti/

There's a lot of other minute details in some of the Honda financial reports of the era.

Honda makes more money selling cars in the US than they do motorcycles.
      Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Greed
        2016 GL1800 Candy Prominence Red leval1-bought August 24th,2017
        Clinton,Illinois

• kwthom
          kwthom commented
          Editing a comment
          Essentially, but, from a corporate-speak point of view, what's wrong with that? I don't want this thread to go down the off-topic forum on this tangent, but in reality, CEO's and other senior leaders job is to make sure shareholders are making money. They do this by making smart business decisions (from the head, not the heart) For corporate Honda, this WAS a smart move.

Decades of manufacturing motorcycles here was great, the corporation made lots of money. Once automobiles really got to be a money-making deal for the corporation, and a LOT of the money they were making was right here in the USofA, senor leaders saw the writing on the wall. Consolidate the bike manufacturing closer to home (Japan), and also expand a world-class auto manufacturing plant in the USofA.

In fact, H-D has done the reverse, created manufacturing of bikes they sell overseas closer to the riders are. Again, another good business move? Check back in a couple years and find out.

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
        As I recall, Honda moved their main motorcycle production to Kumamoto. The factory is Ohio did not "close", it was refitted to manufacture the Honda Accord (I think) and other automotive products.

I was hopeful that I would see an increase in quality when I bought my 2012, knowing it was made in Japan, but I could not tell any difference in quality.
        Had to replace my 2006 level 3 with 220,000 miles on it after it was totaled. Decided to go with a 2017 level 3 rether than buying a first year 2018. And I can tell a difference and it is not for the good . Soom of that feeling is seat off the pants but some is due to issues with the 2017. After 1800 miles there is still a burning rubber smell, the cruise has a scary surg, not a lag, when you first set it, there is broken plastic that I am waiting to see if they are going to fix, the ideal is not stable. These are all issues that can be fixed I hope but my 2006 had one minor problem in the first 100,000 miles.

Waiting to hear about the 2018.

Originally posted by Markcuda View Post
          Greed
          Explain....

Website | YouTube | DVDs at WingStuff | DVDs at SoCalMotoGear | DVDs at Cyclemax | Videos On Demand

Greed

Honda made a business decision for their company.

No US employee lost their job.

The former bike employee's now build automobiles.

How can you call it Greed?, without facts to back up such a stupid remark?
            AMA Board Certified Proctologist.
            "If I have to deal with board AH's, I might as well get paid for my time!"

My suspension set up:
            Rocky Tree/Progressive Mono tubes/Comfort Risers.

Blind are the ones who refuse to see!!

Really, you need me to explain corprat greed to you?
              You all are smarter than this, right?
              Clinton,Illinois

Yes most of us choose to educate ourselves with facts, instead of embarrassing ourselves with unsubstantiated rumors.

Here "Educate yourself"

http://blog.cleveland.com/business/2...otorcycle.html
                https://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/30/...ycle-producti/
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marysv...torcycle_Plant

My suspension set up:

Thank you, coolaid drinker.
                  Clinton,Illinois

Thank you, coolaid drinker.
                    No problem Richard.

My suspension set up:

A company that makes a business decision to lower costs and/or increase profits is the essence of free enterprise. It has nothing to do with "greed." You could argue that if a corporation put its customers knowingly in danger (poor quality components that result in injury or death), just to increase profits, could be considered greed. But NOT choosing to lower its manufacturing costs. That's just good business.

Even so, in the case of the Marysville plant, there is NO evidence that Honda reduced its costs or increased its profits by moving the factory to Japan. Labor costs in Japan are VERY high, maybe higher than the USA. Then, there is the additional cost of shipping a motorcycle from Japan to the USA.

In fact, if a CEO or Board of Directors makes decisions that adversely affect profitability, they can be held legally liable. They have a fiduciary duty to their stockholders.

Please tell us - using your own words - what you perceive a difference is between 'greed' and 'making the corporation profitable'?

Greed is an inordinate or insatiable longing for unneeded excess, especially for excess wealth, status, power, or food. As secular psychological concept, greed is an inordinate desire to acquire or possess more than one needs.

Profit is a financial gain, especially the difference between the amount earned and the amount spent in buying, operating, or producing something.
                        Urban Dictionary: A corporation's pursuit of gaining an over sufficient quantity of wealth by making decisions that are absent of any notion of morals and ethics.

Is this the concern? Think Honda shouldn't be charging 30 large for the 2018 bike?
                        Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

As an onlooker from afar to the ebbs and flows of the U.S economy Honda had to make smart decisions to survive,they did and they have done.( assuming the new wing has matching success).Making decisions to relocate manufacturing was a smart pick thus enabling long term survival.Certainly not greed but I appreciate it looks that way,tough survival decisions can look that way but time proves different

The biggest differences I have seen is that prices have not gone down, parts are a bit harder to get, we have lost quite a few dealers, and Wing owners no longer blow about their bikes being "made in America".....................other than that..............

Working...
                            X