Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer towing signs of wear

I would welcome any input on the following
    I'am looking to buy a GW that has a trailer hitch fitted,what would be the signs of wear I would look for.Is there a particular part of the bike that wears the most , under the strain of an added tow load.?.......Also a CB question,is the CB unit very usable on a Wing,is there a useful range ,I appreciate this will vary hugely to location but is it ok for a few miles or just line of sight.Air bags are a new concept for me ( on a motorcycle),is this a positive or negative due to problems or service costs.
    thank you in anticipation,
    Ventury

I've got >124,000 miles on my 08 and probably towed my trailer at least 40,000 of that. To date, except for the hitch sticking out I've noticed nothing that would indicate I tow;no noticeable wear otherwise. Although there is a scratch in the wheel cover fender where I walked the trailer to the hitch without paying attention once. I did have to swap out the rear diff at ~100K, but that could have been normal wear, my car tire or the trailer. I'm sure others who are more mechanically inclined will respond with a more educated response.
    2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
    USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
    US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
    2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
    2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Clayusmacret,,,thank you.i a like hearing from someone in the field ,so to speak.I laughed in symphathy regarding the scratch whilst half concentrating
      regards
      johm

Originally posted by Ventury View Post
        I would welcome any input on the following
        I'am looking to buy a GW that has a trailer hitch fitted,what would be the signs of wear I would look for.Is there a particular part of the bike that wears the most , under the strain of an added tow load.?
        The answer I'd provide would be "nothing that would be visible to the untrained eye."

Since you've not provided model year, mileage, or other clues of what would normally be needed to look at, it's hard to give a comprehensive answer, I'm afraid.

Also a CB question,is the CB unit very usable on a Wing,is there a useful range ,I appreciate this will vary hugely to location but is it ok for a few miles or just line of sight.
        No, you've answered your own question reasonably well "A few miles", as in 5 or less, would be considered a nominal value. On my bike, I've communicated at much longer ranges in ideal conditions. Typically, you see who you want to talk to, so 1/4 mile, 1 mile away? Probably...

Air bags are a new concept for me ( on a motorcycle),is this a positive or negative due to problems or service costs.
        I want to think the airbags are in the same recall population that a lot of other vehicles are in, so nothing to really be read into a recall of tens of millions of vehicles in that regard.

If you do your own service, there are a couple of additional safety things that have to be done, but those are the same ones that would be done with any competent dealer, so again, net zero.

If they save your life, or reduce injury in the event of a collision? Seems like that's the biggest plus of all.

Note that no other motorcycles have an air bag in them at this time. Might just be bleeding edge technology at the present.

2012 ,41,000 miles I gather
          I get the life saving element,just wondered if it was a negative or not that successfully implemented into a motorcycle as no other manufacturer has followed,,,yet,,hence me asking here,guys that have ridden and owned.
          Thankyou for all the input though

When I remove my hitch, no one would ever know that I pulled a trailer for more miles than I could ever remember. BUT, check out how the wiring is done. If they did not use an isolator which is plug/play and instead spliced into the wiring, I would stay away from it. I've had a CB on my last 3 GW's ('04,06,10) and have used it maybe 4 times to check what was going on during interstate stop/go traffic. Probably won't get one on next bike.
            Stfu and lets ride !

Originally posted by MPop View Post
              When I remove my hitch, no one would ever know that I pulled a trailer for more miles than I could ever remember. BUT, check out how the wiring is done. If they did not use an isolator which is plug/play and instead spliced into the wiring, I would stay away from it. I've had a CB on my last 3 GW's ('04,06,10) and have used it maybe 4 times to check what was going on during interstate stop/go traffic. Probably won't get one on next bike.
              There are four of us who ride together. We all have CBs and use them for routine communications: where to eat, watching out for mow-clippings on the road, etc. It's an expensive toy, but I'm glad we all have one.
              2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
              USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
              US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
              2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
              2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Thank you gentlemen
                CB will be new to me ,I like the idea .thanks for the wireing connection hint,.I think the bike is well cared for,but feedback from you here is as always priceless
                my wife and I are looking forward to resuming the Goldwing tour of your wonderful country
                regards
                john and Laura
                ps,,,Iam also trying to view a fine looking GW in Texas,grey with gold undertones,airbag,cb 2013.as yet I can't reach the sellers

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page