2012 Wing won't start, Help please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Wing won't start, Help please

This morning my 2012 Wing wouldn't start. I replaced the battery 6 months ago and she's been running like a champ. I rode it last weekend for a few hours. After she cooled down I washed it, blew it dry, then took her out for 20 minutes to completely dry out, my usual ritual after cleaning. All was running great with no unusual sounds, smells, or power losses. Put her away, then this morning, she would only crank, but not fire. All electrical is working great and strong, I can even hear the fuel pump engage or prime (whatever that sound is) when I turn the ignition on. I hit the starter and she turns over very well and strong, but the engine won't fire. Does anyone have any suggestions before I get her towed on Tuesday?
    Attached Files

Something to try

1. Check the Run stop Switch - (see if it's off)
    2. Pull in the Clutch and try to start
    3. Put the Side stand up and pull clutch and try to start
    4. If all those fail
    Then Try to Jump it as Rocky stated above
    Whoever said money can’t buy happiness, never paid for a divorce

IBA # 40576

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Yes, I did perform all of the suggested cleaning and charging before installation and I replaced the battery because the old one died. I will jump it tomorrow and let you know how it went. Thank you

I'd bet on the kill switch being off or the battery.
        Rob

What's the battery voltage with the key off? Key on? While cranking?

Key off should be at least 12.5 VDC.

Key on should be at least 11.5 VDC.

While cranking at least 10.5 VDC.

Once it's running, you should see the alternator pushing power back into the battery and see something in the neighborhood of 14 VDC. (Note: It takes a few seconds after starting for the alternator to be enabled.)
          White '08 Navi
          SW OH

I just tried jumping it with my truck battery, but to no avail. It turns over, but still doesn't fire. The bikes battery is putting out 12.5v while idle, but I pulled it any way. I'll have the battery tested for a dead cell tomorrow. Thank you for all your help and advise.

Great description Rocky on how to retrieve trouble codes. Everyone on the forum needs to save this for future reference.
              When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
              Jimi Hendrix
              Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

Have you pulled a spark plug to check and see if you are getting a spark? Sounds like either no spark or no fuel.
                GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
                Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Originally posted by Rocky
                  Brian.. What did you find??
                  Hopefully he is out riding it.
                  Dave - Arizona - 2012/GL1800

I live in south Florida, so I had to put my bike inside the house (put cars in garage) and hunker down for Irma. I tried a few more times to start her before tucking her away, but nothing but cranking. My neighbors and I pushed her through the sliding glass doors and tried her once more before I put the shutters up, zilch!............... After the storm, I called a tow truck & rolled her outside. Guess what,......... She started right up like there weren't any problems. I guess she doesn't like tow trucks, lol. None-the-less I drove her into my local shop to have her checked out. I'll let you know what the dealer says in a couple days.

Maybe your your wing was just relying on her animal instincts re: the impending storm, knowing to seek shelter. Now that the storm has passed.....it's time to get out and go!?

Hope you and and your neighbors survived ok.

Unfortunately the dealer said that it didn't throw any codes, the battery is good, and it's starting & running great. They have decided to let it sit for a few days and restart it later. I'm not feeling too good about this and I'm starting to think the main computer board had a brain fart and then corrected itself. If they don't come up with anything next week, I think I'm gonna call Honda myself.

I picked up my bike yesterday, unfortunately the dealer still couldn't read any error codes or duplicate the non-starting issue. I have also decided not to call Honda unless the problem arises again. Thank you all again for your wisdom and helpful insight into my problem.

She started and ran great for a few days, then went back to cranking, but not starting. I had her towed back to the dealer again. The dealer did say that they did call Honda for advice last time around. They did in fact check everything Honda told them to, but since the bike was starting and running at that time, there was nothing to prove defective. So they would have to look at it again when it won't start. Fortunately it didn't start when we got it off the flatbed, lol. I will let you all know what I find out when they let me know.

You hit the nail on the head Rocky! The dealer was able to get it to throw an error code 19, so they went ahead and ordered a new Pulse Generator. They called it something else like Pulse Starter, but it sounded like the same thing to me. I'll keep you all updated after the repair is complete.

Thank you Rocky, and to all of you who gave me your advice. It was the pulse generator, and my bike is running/starting great now! At least it started twice this morning, so far. lol

Another happy customer
                                  GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
                                  Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page