Loose ground wire located

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012+ Loose ground wire located

You may remember about a year ago I had my engine completely rebuilt by Maxim Honda. Everything was done perfectly and the bike still runs better than new. However, after they re-assembled the bike my LED turn signals never functioned properly. I had to finally go back to standard bulbs to get everything to work. This was an indication of a ground issue, but where to begin?

Last week, I hooked up my Bushtec trailer and noticed that none of my lights were working on the trailer. Ahh, another hint! I removed the seat, traced the wires from the trailer harness relay and voila, the ground wire was left unattached. I connected it to the negative post on the battery and all of the trailer lights now function perfectly. I am going out on a limb here and suggest that this was the ground issue that screwed up my LED turn signal lights. I will be putting the LEDs back in this week just to test my theory.
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Glad you found it!

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

If I was a betting man, I believe you might have solved the turn signal issue. I had similiar issue on my '05 and it was the ground-wire going through the large plug under the seat. I jumped the ground wire over the large plug and everything began working again.
      Jim Jackson, Smiths Station, AL
      My Week Has 6-Saturdays and One Sunday. 2012 GW, 2011 H-D
      "We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities"….Prentice Ritter, Broken Trail

I will be interested in your results. As I found a couple years ago, the bulbs were the problem.

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
          You may remember about a year ago I had my engine completely rebuilt by Maxim Honda. Everything was done perfectly and the bike still runs better than new. However, after they re-assembled the bike my LED turn signals never functioned properly. I had to finally go back to standard bulbs to get everything to work. This was an indication of a ground issue, but where to begin?

Last week, I hooked up my Bushtec trailer and noticed that none of my lights were working on the trailer. Ahh, another hint! I removed the seat, traced the wires from the trailer harness relay and voila, the ground wire was left unattached. I connected it to the negative post on the battery and all of the trailer lights now function perfectly. I am going out on a limb here and suggest that this was the ground issue that screwed up my LED turn signal lights. I will be putting the LEDs back in this week just to test my theory.
          Why did you have your engine rebuilt?? Thanks
          PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

I hit some road debris going about 70 mph, a piece of large scrap iron. It flipped up and cracked the bottom of the engine.
            GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
            Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Glad to hear you located the bad ground. That could have gotten ugly.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page