Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Headlights

I ride an '07 1800 that I bought new. For 10 years, I've thought that the Halogen headlights were pretty darned good. Yesterday, I installed a set (all 4) of LED headlights from SoCalSuperMoto. As I tried each light out as I installed them, I discovered that what I had been riding behind, was really a pale yellow. What a difference.

Amazing, aren't they?
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I installed them last fall and them I bought and installed the switchback led for the front turn signals. Those are really cool....worth the money

I love the LEDs that I got from E/C. I have them in both high and low beams and like them a lot.
        Terry

DS# 1595
        2008 Honda GL1800
        1980 Suzuki GS850G
        1972 Suzuki GT750
        1973 Honda CB350

Hi,
          I did the same on my GL1800 2007 but I had a problem with the left side LED light . The left side lamp dazzles the other road users so I removed it and now I ride with an Halogen bulb H/ on the left side and the LED on the right side.

I learned that the trick was to aim the highbeam and let the lowbeam go where it want's to be. Aim it so you have at least half electrical adjustment available. Just be careful to not turn the end out of the adjuster. I had to find a fix for that too.

I did all the possible adjusting combinations but no way to pass the mandatory inspection I have every two years. There is a speciat equipment that controls the entire aim for all the lights and the left headlight does not pass the test.

There is an adjusting screw to line up the left and right low beam levels. Mine is only s touch off so I've not tried to get my hand in there but that might help. I've also had a bulb that was a bit wonky and just wouldn't seat squarely in the reflector. I haven't made the LED headlight investment yet.
                Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
                2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 110k miles
                Retired Air Force "Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Originally posted by seeberluca View Post
                  I did all the possible adjusting combinations but no way to pass the mandatory inspection I have every two years. There is a speciat equipment that controls the entire aim for all the lights and the left headlight does not pass the test.
                  When you go for inspection, you can further adjust the headlights by temporarily adjusting your rear shock up or down. =)

Originally posted by workhorse View Post

When you go for inspection, you can further adjust the headlights by temporarily adjusting your rear shock up or down. =)
                    I did , but the problem is that the LED light blade is going out on the left side range and even I modify the rear shock upper position still the aim range is not into the parameters. Here where I live LED are not permitted like aftermarket; if I mount them and they are also out of aim range the police will stop the motorcyle.

Originally posted by bob-c View Post
                      I ride an '07 1800 that I bought new. For 10 years, I've thought that the Halogen headlights were pretty darned good. Yesterday, I installed a set (all 4) of LED headlights from SoCalSuperMoto. As I tried each light out as I installed them, I discovered that what I had been riding behind, was really a pale yellow. What a difference.
                      I ride an '07 too and like you I always thought the lights were pretty good. So here is my pics.

Before:

Side by side

After

I did , but the problem is that the LED light blade is going out on the left side range and even I modify the rear shock upper position still the aim range is not into the parameters. Here where I live LED are not permitted like aftermarket; if I mount them and they are also out of aim range the police will stop the motorcyle.
                        Can you shim the bulb or is it the reflector as well ?

My personal opinion is that the reflector should be different in order to use LED bulb . Anyway I will go a friend of mine that is a motorcycle mechanic to find out if there is a soution . Right now I'm riding in the same condition like the second picture you posted .

My personal opinion is that the reflector should be different in order to use LED bulb . Anyway I will go a friend of mine that is a motorcycle mechanic to find out if there is a soution . Right now I'm riding in the same condition like the second picture you posted .
                            Exactly. The LED bulbs may be "brighter", but brighter (in and of itself) is not always better. Lamp placement, bulb placement/focus (i.e., within the lamp/reflector), and reflector shape/contour are the most prominent factors in how well (or poorly) a lamp functions. A basic example of this is the fog lamp. Some folks use brighter and/or "whiter" bulbs, expecting most of the ill effects of the fog to be eliminated, but such is not the case. True fog lamps are focused, and should be installed (low), to "see" (provide better vision) beneath the fog, while driving lights should be sufficiently bright (and mounted physically higher) to project the beam farther down the road in clear conditions without "glaring back".

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page