Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery

I will put up a separate question. My 2012 has the original battery. I always keep in on a tender but I am curious about when I should consider replacing it. I know when a battery fails it does it very quickly and usually not at a good time so what do you all recommend? For now, it works like new and I want to keep in that way. And from what I have read it seems a good stock battery is the way to go.
    Dave - High up in Arizona - 2012/GL1800

Dave, I have the original battery in my 2010, bought in Feb. 2011. When not being ridden it's on a tender and no problems so far, knocking on wood...
    DS#1146 IBA#55800 50CC,BBG, BB1500 x2, SS2K, SS1Kx3 CERTIFIED ALL DS, PGR RC
    2010 Level3 Endeavor Reverse Trike

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I finally replaced the battery on my 08 in 2015 (first replacement). I didn't start keeping it on a BatteryMINDer until 2011 so it was off a charge for 3 years and routinely on a charge for another 4. Both old and new were Yuasa OEM.
      2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
      USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
      US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
      2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
      2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

With frequent charging you can easily get 5 years, but this will vary depending on heat, cold, and your comfort level prior to a trip. I replaced the oem after 6 years to feel better. I kept it charged for a couple years and then gave it to another biker and have no idea what he has done with it.
        Harvey
        Ride Safe and Ride Often

My 08 still has the original battery! No sign that it needs to be replaced and I do use the battery tender Nov - Feb. But ---- probably time to bite that bullet this March as the season starts back up this spring. Over recent years my car batteries seem to die like they fell off a cliff.

Are batteries dated like a tire might be?

Originally posted by Rollin View Post
              Are batteries dated like a tire might be?
              They certainly used to be.
              I just picked up a new Yuasa GYZ20L, made in the USA, no date code anywhere on the box or on the battery.

Thanks for the info, I may be looking into a replacement in the near future just to have piece of mind.

For all you folks who are playing the guessing game about the longevity of your battery have a simple load test done on the battery.
                  When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
                  Jimi Hendrix
                  Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

maybe put a volt meter someplace inconspicuous to get reading of how battery is doing

The original OEM Yuasa battery lasted 9 years in my wing until a cell shorted.
                      I use a CTEK smart charger/conditioner.

Three batteries, plus the OEM, in ten years. Here in the deserts both the heat and the cold will eat 'em up.

I now have a battery that I picked up at Batteries Plus a couple of months ago. I *do* need to get a voltmeter mounted on the bike to monitor the condition.

Elsewhere, I've seen a clever location - behind one of the speaker grilles.

Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

2006 gl1800 first battery was still going strong after 6 years when I decided to replace it. I do a lot of sole riding in some very lonely places and did want to take a chance on battery trouble.
                          Second battery is still ion the bike and going strong. If it is likely that the bike is going to sit for more than a week I will put it on a battery tender but that is rare.

Originally posted by A_Rider View Post
                            2006 gl1800 first battery was still going strong after 6 years when I decided to replace it. I do a lot of sole riding in some very lonely places and did want to take a chance on battery trouble.
                            Second battery is still ion the bike and going strong. If it is likely that the bike is going to sit for more than a week I will put it on a battery tender but that is rare.
                            That's the way it is with mine. I don't remember actually "needing" to change the OEM out; did it mostly for safety reasons. My BatteryMINDer does a great job during the rare instances when I am leaving the bike unridden for more than ~4 days.
                            2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                            USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                            US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                            2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                            2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

My two previous Goldwing batteries, on the '95 GL1500 the original was still in it when I sold it in '01. My '01 Gl1800 battery lasted 7.5 years. I've come to believe the clock starting to loose time is the first sign I've noticed of the end of the battery. I put a new one in the '01 as soon the clock started losing time.

Originally posted by zgoldwingman View Post
                                My two previous Goldwing batteries, on the '95 GL1500 the original was still in it when I sold it in '01. My '01 Gl1800 battery lasted 7.5 years. I've come to believe the clock starting to loose time is the first sign I've noticed of the end of the battery. I put a new one in the '01 as soon the clock started losing time.
                                Interesting about the clock, you would think that would require practically nothing to keep running.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page