Battery replace

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery replace

I finally replaced my battery with this monster.

https://www.amazon.com/BikeMaster-DL...um-Ion+Battery

Arrived with 13.3 volts. It weighs maybe 5 lbs. And fit right into battery cubby hole. Cranked engine right up.

Now my headache with this battery. I will post pix later. But the positive battery cable was a complete pain in the colon. I ended up having to grind the tab off the terminal to get an extra half inch or so for the cable to reach. The Lithium battery post is maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch or so further from end of battery compared to Yuasa battery. But after saying the "F" word a few times and finally getting it installed, all seems awesome and groovy again. But what I thought to be a 10 minute job ended up being an hour or so.

GEESH! lol.

For a saving of 10 lbs on a 930 lb bike, is it really worth it?

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I once read that for motorcycles just like cars for every 10 lbs a bike sheds, its MPG goes up 1%. Along with this the performance increases, and handling characteristics. Does it all hold true? I dunno! Will I be able to "notice" a difference in handling? I dunno! But I could NOT find any answers to those types of questions on here. Or anywhere I looked.

So this would be my test to see. May end up being a waste of $75. But it may save me 2-3 cents per gallon too.!

I hope it works out for you! Yuasa has done the job for me for some 40 years so I will stick with them!
        Harvey
        Ride Safe and Ride Often

So to ask, one thing a lot of people have said on various forums including this one, is the wing needs to lose weight. Be it for efficiency, performance or preference. So is weight NOT a concern for anyone anymore?

I know I can feel when my bike is "heavy". If bags are loaded more on one side vs the other. But I can't quantify how it rides different but I do notice it. I would imagine some of you more spirited riders could feel it as well and notice if makes riding more or less work.

Just asking, not trying to say I am smarter, better rider or anything. Or even if this battery is all that. BUT, what if it is?

I still have the original battery, keep it on a tender all the time. I wonder when these things give up and if I should just replace it while it is still working. How old was the battery you replaced?
            Dave - Arizona - 2012/GL1800

Originally posted by dxlnt1 View Post
              So to ask, one thing a lot of people have said on various forums including this one, is the wing needs to lose weight. Be it for efficiency, performance or preference. So is weight NOT a concern for anyone anymore?

I know I can feel when my bike is "heavy". If bags are loaded more on one side vs the other. But I can't quantify how it rides different but I do notice it. I would imagine some of you more spirited riders could feel it as well and notice if makes riding more or less work.

Just asking, not trying to say I am smarter, better rider or anything. Or even if this battery is all that. BUT, what if it is?

Sorry, but I think you're just being anal. The battery difference is only 10 lbs.
              How much do you think a full tank of fuel weighs? A heck of a lot more than 10 lbs.
              Do you only fill up with half a tank to get better handling?
              If an owner wants to save some weight, they should lose some weight. It's healthier and way cheaper than a Li-ion battery.
              What typical owner of a Goldwing can't afford to lose 25+ lbs?

<...>So this would be my test to see. May end up being a waste of $75. But it may save me 2-3 cents per gallon too.!
                I wish you luck on your test, however...

There's no way you can tell me that each and every time, you have the exact same amount of fuel in the tank while making a fuel mileage computation. The odometer/speedometer errors alone more than make up (which direction? Who knows!) that 1% variation as a result of known deficiencies in accuracy.

Sorry - just way too many variables in that equation.

Originally posted by bigbird View Post

Dave - Arizona - 2012/GL1800

I must be atypical. Sadly, mine is closer to 50.
                    2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                    USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                    US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                    2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                    2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Sorry, but I think you're just being anal. The battery difference is only 10 lbs.
                      How much do you think a full tank of fuel weighs? A heck of a lot more than 10 lbs.
                      Do you only fill up with half a tank to get better handling?
                      If an owner wants to save some weight, they should lose some weight. It's healthier and way cheaper than a Li-ion battery.

While it is definitely more gooderer for the rider to lose weight, the reality and practicality does not hold water. That statement has been made here and on other forums for years. How much weight has those guys lost? Since I have my wing, I gained 30 lbs. lol

Watching the video below, Cadillac shaved a few hundred pounds from the CTS by "little stuff" here and there. Very first item he mentions saving 40 lbs or 60% loss for weight of engine cradle. Which is nothing on a 4500 lb car. But after coupled with ALL the other savings it makes a huge difference. Which translates in performance and handling. Although this not a COMPLETE apples to apples comparison, the similarities are there. The numbers are different. So a 30% loss in weight in the battery is huge. While it may only affect the overall weight of bike marginally. Add it up with when you use aluminum vs steel. Carbon fiber vs aluminum. Drill holes in structural pieces. Brake rotors are partially drilled, not just solely for cooling properties, but it also saves unsprung weight in the rotating mass of the wheel.

https://youtu.be/hnzDIceKecw

Originally posted by kwthom View Post
                      I wish you luck on your test, however...

There's no way you can tell me that each and every time, you have the exact same amount of fuel in the tank while making a fuel mileage computation. The odometer/speedometer errors alone more than make up (which direction? Who knows!) that 1% variation as a result of known deficiencies in accuracy.

Sorry - just way too many variables in that equation.
                      You are over thinking this. That's like arguing a penny saved is NOT a penny earned! In a world of efficiency and some of you who ride cross country on a regular basis most of them using a little common sense that if they can get an additional 5 miles from a tank of gas is an improvement over what they had. But 5 miles may be marginally useful at best if there is no gas station to take advantage of that additional distance traveled. And since a lot depend and rely on satellites and GPS the actual mileage by those accounts is accurate. But amount of gas is variable. But you can minimize if not eliminate that variable as well by making it a constant. To within far less than 1% variance if that.

Somehow I think most Wing owners are more interested in the amount of weight or gear the Wing will carry. Since this is s bike designed to ride around town or across the country, carrying capacity is far more important. Yes we can reduce weight by loosing weight, by carrying less stuff, but speaking only for myself, I like to be comfortable when I travel. The trade off with a lithium battery in weight is very minimal as noted above not to mention that those batteries tend to fail suddenly and not gradually like a oem battery.

As far as gas mileage, the biggest thing is slow down. You will get much better mileage riding at a steady 45mph than at 70mph or higher. And this will hold true even with a full load as opposed to no extra weight.

But in truth if you can afford a $20,000+ Wing, you really should not worry too much about the gas mileage. My wife's Prius does get better mileage, but it is not nearly as much fun nor as comfortable.
                        Harvey
                        Ride Safe and Ride Often

Nope...I think *you*, sir, are the one over thinking this situation.

Buy a F6B if the weight of this behemoth really concerns you.

If you're *really* wanting to get some range, go spent north of $500 and get an aux tank setup and you too can travel >300 miles on one load of fuel.

Hypermiling on a Goldwing?

Last 2 comments were most insightful. Again, I haven't been riding a wing nearly as long as most of you. So to your point Harvey, weight is NOT weight?

KW the weight really rides well on the bike. But if a marginal improvement, why not? Seems clear tho, the seasoned crowd feels it was a waste of money. My loss. I thank you for the info and appreciate the feedback. It may be a waste of money me buying this battery. I dunno. Its first time I had to replace battery so I have no history or experience with it on this bike. Win some lose some

KW the weight really rides well on the bike. But if a marginal improvement, why not? Seems clear tho, the seasoned crowd feels it was a waste of money. My loss. I thank you for the info and appreciate the feedback.
                              Fair enough - but not necessarily a waste of money. You seemed to have purchased a lesson. That lesson not only cost you the purchase price, but the aggravation detected from your first post starting this thread:

Originally posted by dxlnt1
                              I ended up having to grind the tab off the terminal to get an extra half inch or so for the cable to reach. The Lithium battery post is maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch or so further from end of battery compared to Yuasa battery. But after saying the "F" word a few times and finally getting it installed, all seems awesome and groovy again. But what I thought to be a 10 minute job ended up being an hour or so.
                              There's another [redacted] forum that many of us also are either still on, or were exiled for one reason or another, that described the years' of efforts experienced by dozens others on things like this. For those of us in the desert, it's quite easy to burn thru a battery in a couple of years anyway, so no need to make a simple job that much more complex.

A fair percentage of us around here have done some impressive things to this bike where it seems to matter - tires, shocks, forks. Not to mention those creature comforts...

It may be a waste of money me buying this battery. I dunno. Its first time I had to replace battery so I have no history or experience with it on this bike. Win some lose some
                              Nope, not at all. For me, I'll know not to even consider that battery as a replacement on my bike - I have enough weirdness created on my own that I don't need any like that.

dxint1, You said "Last 2 comments were most insightful. Again, I haven't been riding a wing nearly as long as most of you. So to your point Harvey, weight is NOT weight?" No, weight is weight!
                                But I just think that most of us Wing riders bought this bike so that it will carry the weight we want to take with us on a tour! Yes Lighter can be better and that is why the GL1800 was initially designed to weigh less than the GL1500. But with addons, and with our own weight we do add to that total. Frankly it is a big bike made that way to meet the needs of it buyers.

Quite honestly I would be more concerned with the output and reliability to the battery than weight. Will it out perform stock and still last for several seasons-5 to 6years or more. My question is what will it add to the bike?

And now you are a testor for all of us. You have already shown the problems with installation, now I hope to hear about the performance over the next 5 years.
                                Harvey
                                Ride Safe and Ride Often

By the way what did this post start out about

Originally posted by WIMPY View Post
                                    By the way what did this post start out about
                                    Wimpy, it started about a battery and the weight savings it provided. And a discussion has followed about the advantages/disadvantages of the savings. Seem to me to be right on the thread!
                                    Harvey
                                    Ride Safe and Ride Often

You mention performance, here is a comparison. Also BikeMaster has a better warranty.

https://www.amazon.com/BikeMaster-DL...um-Ion+Battery

The most advanced high-power Lithium Iron Phosphate battery technology from BikeMaster
                                      • Ultra high cranking amps from a super lightweight battery. Only 1/3 the weight of a lead acid battery
                                      • Cylindrical cell with energy storage welding technology for higher output
                                      • Built-in charge and equalizing protection board, preventing battery from over-charging
                                      • Remarkably low self-discharge for extended storage periods up to one year
                                      • BikeMaster
                                        4.6 pounds
                                        8 x 7.5 x 3.3 inches
                                        DLFP-20L-BS
                                        12 volts
                                      Product Description
                                      BikeMaster DLFP-20L-BS Lithium-Ion Battery

- Suitable for low temperature environments
                                      - More than twice the service life of conventional lead acid batteries
                                      - Superior vibration resistant construction allows multi-directional installation without damage
                                      - No corrosive liquids, no toxic heavy metals make the BikeMaster Li-On batteries environmentally friendly
                                      - Two year warranty
                                      - Sample part shown. Image may slightly vary from actual product.

Specifications:
                                      Battery Number: DLFP-20L-BS
                                      Measurements (L X W X H): 175x87x155
                                      Polarity: - +
                                      Weight: 4 lbs
                                      Replaces Load Battery: YB16L-B, YB16CL-B, YB16HL-A-CX, YB18L-A, YTX20, YTX20L, YTX20L-BS
                                      Cold Cranking Amps: 375
                                      Battery Acid: Lithium Ion
                                      Voltage: 12V
                                      Charging Current [A] Std/Max: 4/15

And the https://www.amazon.com/Yuasa-YUAM320...gl1800+battery

12 Volt, 18 amp-hour, 270 cold cranking amps, maintenance-free battery
                                      • Totally sealed and spill-proof - all acid is absorbed in special plates and absorbed glass mat separators
                                      • No need to ever add water
                                      • Advanced lead-calcium technology hold its specific gravity more than 3 times longer than conventional batteries
                                      • Battery supplied dry with acid bottle
                                      • Comes with pre-measured acid tubes that dealer easily empties into battery. Includes a seal that is then placed across top of battery to create a sealed, spill-proof battery. Never needs refilling but may need periodic charging. 1-year manufacturers warranty
                                      • Yuasa
                                        YUAM320BS
                                        15.1 pounds
                                        9.1 x 7.8 x 5.7 inches
                                        USA
                                        YUAM320BS
                                        YUAM320BS
                                        YUAM320BS (PLT-120)
                                        No
                                        12 volts
                                      "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

Comparing batteries Crunching The Numbers: Facts About Lithium Vs. Lead Acid Batteries

Lead, which is the heaviest non-radioactive metal, has been the standard in batteries for decades. Why should you consider a lithium battery conversion? Here are seven features explaining the disparity between lead acid and lithium-ion batteries.

1) Weight: Lithium-ion batteries are one-third the weight of lead acid batteries.

2) Efficiency: Lithium-ion batteries are nearly 100% efficient in both charge and discharge, allowing for the same amp hours both in and out. Lead acid batteries’ inefficiency leads to a loss of 15 amps while charging and rapid discharging drops voltage quickly and reduces the batteries’ capacity.

3) Discharge: Lithium-ion batteries are discharged 100% versus less than 80% for lead acid. Most lead acid batteries do not recommend more than 50% depth of discharge.

4) Cycle Life: Rechargeable lithium-ion batteries cycle 5000 times or more compared to just 400-500 cycles in lead acid. Cycle life is greatly affected by higher levels of discharge in lead acid, versus only slightly affected in lithium-ion batteries.

5) Voltage: Lithium-ion batteries maintain their voltage throughout the entire discharge cycle. This allows for greater and longer-lasting efficiency of electrical components. Lead acid voltage drops consistently throughout the discharge cycle.

6) Cost: Despite the higher upfront cost of lithium-ion batteries, the true cost of ownership is far less than lead acid when considering life span and performance.

7) Environmental Impact: Lithium-ion batteries are a much cleaner technology and are safer for the environment.

Though they are used to power the same applications, that is where the similarity between lithium-ion and lead acid batteries ends. Lithium batteries deliver higher-quality performance in a safer, longer-lasting package.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                                        widgetinstance 272 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                        Working...
                                        X