Final Drive Warning signs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Drive Warning signs?

I just turned 75,000 on my bike. Couple questions concerning the final drive......Lots of folks replace the final drive around the 100,000mile mark as preventative maintenance. Some wait until there are signs of a problem with the final drive and say why fix it if it ain't broke which I understand that logic too.

My question is are there any warning signs that the final drive is going bad? Can I put the bike on the center stand, spin the rear wheel by hand and "listen for something"? Do you "feel" it when its going out?

Thanks,
    Dan
    2007 dark blue Navi
    Traxxion "Mega Monty"
    IBA 54656

Mine started growling like a bad tire. Everything looked good but I had a spare and the bike had almost 100k so I changed it and noise gone.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Jmohme response is pretty much how I remember the one on my 05 doing. I had pulled a trailer for about 30k of the 89k on the bike when I changed it out. I am at 98k on my 03 and it still sounds good, but I did have to replace the front wheel bearings at my last service.

Ok thank you both. Sounds like it will let me know when its going bad.
        2007 dark blue Navi
        Traxxion "Mega Monty"
        IBA 54656

In addition to a growl, above ~45mph mine felt like I was always riding on a rough road with a weird engine vibration, even on the smoothest roads. Here was the conversation:

https://www.theglforum.com/forum/mes...d-52mphussions

There were several little discussions tweaking me for detail in PM's, but I did wrap-ups.
          2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
          USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
          US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
          2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
          2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

I've had two past drive issues. One was a bearing issue, The other was a Seal leak.

I changed the first drive because of the oil seal was weeping. (I caught it early).

I changed the second drive before the bearing made the seal leak. (Was vibrating at freeway speeds)

You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
            "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".

Hey Dan,
              I understand your concern, your a high-millage Rider. Do you have a spare final drive?
              I think it's a good idea for those of us that frequently travel far from home to have one boxed-up and ready to ship at a moments notice.
              If you have trouble on a trip and someone at home knows where it is can ship it to you PDQ.
              After all, we all can't be like Donnie-on-the-road and purchase a new bike when he runs out of gas. LOL
              Remember that one? I don't think his friends will ever let him live that one down. Donnie.

Originally posted by thecruiser View Post
                Hey Dan,
                I understand your concern, your a high-millage Rider. Do you have a spare final drive?
                I think it's a good idea for those of us that frequently travel far from home to have one boxed-up and ready to ship at a moments notice.
                If you have trouble on a trip and someone at home knows where it is can ship it to you PDQ.
                After all, we all can't be like Donnie-on-the-road and purchase a new bike when he runs out of gas. LOL
                Remember that one? I don't think his friends will ever let him live that one down. Donnie.
                Hi Larry, yes I do have a spare final drive on the shelf boxed up.

Also a follow up question please.....With the bike running on the center stand I carefully put the bike in second gear and let out the clutch letting the real wheel spin. Should I hear any different noises coming from the final drive area when doing this test? I hear a knocking sound every few seconds. It's not constant and may just be the "slop" or the rear wheel spinning freely not under load? The knocking sound stops when back in neutral. When I go for a ride I don't hear or feel anything strange at all and sounds fine.

Also I changed the final drive oil this morning and there was nothing detectable on the drain plug magnet but I "thought" I did see a few tiny specs of silver in the oil? Not sure if this is normal?

Don't mean to split hairs and appreciate the responses,
                Dan

2007 dark blue Navi
                Traxxion "Mega Monty"
                IBA 54656

Mine didn't make much noise, but when I changed the fluid it was almost all silver.
                  '04 Titanium ABS
                  Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195-55-16
                  Bridgestone BT-45 130/70-18
                  Member - E. CLAMPUS VITUS
                  Free Grazer IBA #22990
                  NRA, Elks, and too many others
                  Yuma, AZ

Dan, I sure wouldn't be the one to ask about final drive noise. I'm sure if mine was makin' noise, I probably wouldn't hear it. Also I never had one go out... I'm prepared it it ever does though.

Originally posted by Clamper View Post
                      Mine didn't make much noise, but when I changed the fluid it was almost all silver.
                      I had same issue at 120K. Silver oil.

s
                        George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

Originally posted by Clamper View Post
                          I had the same issue

For anyone in the Birmingham, Al area, this maybe of interest to you....http://bham.craigslist.org/mpo/5951763180.html

Not much noise, but my seal has blown, so if there's lube on places where it's really not supposed to be (inside surface of the rim...side of the tire [if on sidestand]), then obviously the seal has failed.

In my situation, I'm not real sure how long mine has been leaking, but since I change rear lube every *other* oil change (which is twice the normal gear lube service interval), it's been about 6000 miles since mine has failed.

The lube drained from mine isn't silver, but I did note a bit more crud on the drain plug than I've normally seen; meaning failure is probably imminent.

Weather-guesser claims nasty, rainy weather this weekend.

[QUOTE=Hoosier Daddy;n79029]

Also a follow up question please.....With the bike running on the center stand I carefully put the bike in second gear and let out the clutch letting the real wheel spin. Should I hear any different noises coming from the final drive area when doing this test? I hear a knocking sound every few seconds. It's not constant and may just be the "slop" or the rear wheel spinning freely not under load? [QUOTE]

I changed my oils today ( ready for our Summer ride. :-) ) I did have a listen and there was no noise at all from the rear end, however I did run it in 1st gear only. and not 2nd as you did. Kiwi
                                GL1800 8A - TRIUMPH SCRAMBLER 900

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page