Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 clutch master cylinder?

A while back when I pulled the clutch lever I could hear a little squeak. I pull it now when Iam going down the road it squeaks like a rusty hinge. Is there a rebuild kit or should I get a new master cylinder?

Has the clutch system fluid been replaced every 12k miles as required by Honda's maintenance schedule? If not I would flush the system and replace the master and slave cylinder.
    Harvey Barlow
    Crosby County, TX
    2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
    2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• srt8-in-largo
      srt8-in-largo commented
      Editing a comment
      You're hilarious, dude. Senility must suck.

Have you ever inspected and lubricated the lever pivot and bushings of both brake and clutch levers?

Originally posted by jmohme View Post
      Have you ever inspected and lubricated the lever pivot and bushings of both brake and clutch levers?
      ^^^ This.

These need to be greased every so often. No biggie. Silglyde works pretty well. I'm trying out the Belray grease now.

Sil-Glyde brake lubricant: https://www.amazon.com/AGS-BK4-Brake...ords=sil+glyde

Belray waterproof grease: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

Originally posted by laj48 View Post
        A while back when I pulled the clutch lever I could hear a little squeak. I pull it now when Iam going down the road it squeaks like a rusty hinge. Is there a rebuild kit or should I get a new master cylinder?
        More than likely you are hearing the Brass pivot clutch bushing rubbing from lack of grease against the hand lever.
        Remove the 10mm nut on bottom and unscrew the bolt for inspection.

That is one of two bushings in the lever.

The other that is a common wear item from lack of grease, is the lever Pin Bushing that the screw in bolt passes through to hold the lever in either handlebar master cyl's. #18 here
        http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...DER/parts.html

I use the belray waterproof grease once a year to keep them moving freely.

Without grease to lubricate the bushings, You have wear from metal to metal contact-something has to give/wear!!!

A quick test is to grab the end of either lever and lift it up and then down.

If they move more than 1/8 then you have a worn lever bushing (From lack of grease)

A worn lever bushing can effect the cruise micro switch as well.

Honda only sells the Clutch master Rod Bushing. #2 here. http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...DER/parts.html

If you need to replace the Lever Bushings?. Instead of buying new lever like Honda would like you to do.
        You can get 2 bushings plus the remove/install tool here. (Made from bearing bronze)
        http://www.dhsracing.com/GL-1800.htm

Cleaning and greasing the bushings yearly as part of regular maintenance to keep things from wearing out.

You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
        "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".

Thanks for the reminder. Note to Kiwi - whip those levers off, clean, apply some grease and refit.
          GL1800 8A - TRIUMPH SCRAMBLER 900

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page