Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended Warranty

I know this has been discussed but my warranty is coming up next month and I wanted to know how many of you buy the extended warranty and if you have done so where is the best place to buy it? I have never been one for purchasing these things but I have read that for these bikes it is a good thing to do. Not sure why though since nothing ever seems to break. Anyone care to share your thoughts?
    Dave - High up in Arizona - 2012/GL1800

My personal philosophy regarding warranties is buy a quality product and you won't need a warranty. I have never purchased a warranty on a car, truck, or appliance.

However, considering the rate at which I was putting miles on my previous Goldwing and the cost of Honda parts and labor vs. the price of a discounted Honda warranty from someone like Honda Direct Line I bought a warranty for my previous Wing. I paid $449 for the warranty when DLP was running a sale. I also bought the Honda roadside assist policy. Paid $120.

Lots of small shops all over the country can make general repairs and replacements on most cars and trucks. Not so with motorcycles and certainly not so with a Honda Goldwing. My riding style is cross country touring so I can't count on having a buddy who works on bikes repair my bike if I have a problem.

Fast forward to October of 2014 when my 2010 wing had 93,000 miles on the odometer and the electric reverse and cruise control quit when I pressed the reverse button to deactivate it. I've written about the incident here in the forum.

The short version of the story was it took eight weeks, 30 or 40 hours of shop labor, and $1000 to $1500 of Honda parts to repair the problem. My cost was $0.00!

The labor rate at the Honda dealer in Lubbock is $115/hour.

Did I buy a warranty when I bought the replacement Goldwing? You bet I did. The Honda dealer at Russellville, AR where I bought the 2014 sold me the warranty at a very attractive price.
    Harvey Barlow
    Crosby County, TX
    2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
    2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Not sure if they are still doing it or not, but Blue Ridge Powersports was giving a pretty good deal.
      http://www.blueridgepowersports.com/
      Richard
      Darksider #390
      Murgie's FAQ

I am not usually one to buy extended warranty on any vehicle, but my first GL1800 in 2003, had the Honda extended warranty included in the deal.
        I didn't think much of it until my transmission went out and then the ADV. The extended warranty took care of both repairs.

I have owned three Goldwings since that one and have had extended warranty on all three. Purchased once from Honda Direct Line and twice rolled into the original purchase.
        I have not needed it on any of the three, but I figure that factoring in the first bike and it's claims, I am still ahead of the game.

A Honda factory extended warranty even if someone is lucky enough never to use it is an excellent selling point on a Goldwing for sale with lots of miles.

I didn't have any trouble selling my previous Yellow Wing with 93,000 miles with a Honda warranty and Honda roadside assist plan after it was repaired and returned to me.
          Harvey Barlow
          Crosby County, TX

Do not let your current Warranty expire before purchasing the extension or you will be out of luck. Purchased mine from Blueridgepowersports this past Oct. for $499 . After I had sent an email inquiring about this they told me I would receive that price when ordering by mentioning I saw the offer on the other Forum. I do not know if this Forum carries that weight or not?

Dave. The ex warranty is useless unless you need it.

If you plan on keeping this bike for 5 years or more?. I'll guarantee you the warranty will pay for itself if not it's a great selling point for the new owner.

Honda hates the Rockstar. I got them pay for 11 (not a typo) Warranty repairs, The last one costing them a new engine (62K on it now) before my ex warranty expired-lol.

Think like this. you have heath/auto/home owners ins not because you are going to use it, but because it's there if you need it.
              Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
              "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
              Current bikes.
              1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
              1986 GL1200 SEi (Restored)
              2004 GL1800

Well all of you have convinced me to buy it so now I have to find the place with the best deal. I contacted Blue Ridge but still waiting to hear back and I will search around. I plan on keeping this mighty fine machine for quite a while.

Originally posted by 530ktm View Post
                  Well all of you have convinced me to buy it so now I have to find the place with the best deal. I contacted Blue Ridge but still waiting to hear back and I will search around. I plan on keeping this mighty fine machine for quite a while.
                  We had a ICE storm on the East Coast - They may not have made it in today I would call and not wait on a email response - I've bought my last two GW from them -they will price match any internet price you find - model for model
                  Whoever said money can’t buy happiness, never paid for a divorce

IBA # 40576

It is a good selling point if you decide to sell before the extended warranty runs out.

After my original dealer screwed my electrical system I used the extended warranty about 7 times before everything got fixed......you never know who or what will mess your bike up.....Just get it for peace of mind

I have tried to contact Blueridge Power a couple of times so far by filling out the form they supply on their website and still nothing. Next will be the phone call but it is annoying when these things they have you do are for an exercise of computer skills and nothing else.

I have tried to contact Blueridge Power a couple of times so far by filling out the form they supply on their website and still nothing. Next will be the phone call but it is annoying when these things they have you do are for an exercise of computer skills and nothing else.
                          I have four guys who work under me from a variety of distances and we routinely have to converse from/at those distances. I keep telling them that an email or a text is for passing basic info or asking a simple question. A conversation requires use of the phone.

This is important and the entire issue has a defined shelf life. One day past and the whole issue is moot. Picken uppin ze phonen.
                          2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                          USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                          US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                          2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                          2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

They responded to my latest attempt and we are in communication with each other now. Price is now $549.

They responded to my latest attempt and we are in communication with each other now. Price is now $549.
                              That's a good price and you won't regret buying it. At today's prices for parts/labor it doesn't take very long to eat up $549 if your 3 yr. warranty has expired.
                              Location: Vancouver WA Former name: CAWING '04 GL1800
                              When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
                              Jimi Hendrix
                              Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

I think you can do better than that. I recommend you call Honda in Russellville, AR. I paid less in December 2015 when I bought my current Wing.
                                Harvey Barlow
                                Crosby County, TX

Originally posted by HBarlow View Post

I think you can do better than that. I recommend you call Honda in Russellville, AR. I paid less in December 2015 when I bought my current Wing.
                                  I will give them a call and see what they offer, thanks for the tip. I looked at my paper work and I have until May to do this, I thought it was next month but I was wrong.

• HBarlow
                                    HBarlow commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Dave,

I sent you a pm with more detail.

Harvey

HDL has a sale on the warranty right now. Not $499 but under $600. Still a deal if you can't find it anywhere else. Site shows $588.

Originally posted by clayusmcret View Post

I have four guys who work under me from a variety of distances and we routinely have to converse from/at those distances. I keep telling them that an email or a text is for passing basic info or asking a simple question. A conversation requires use of the phone.

This is important and the entire issue has a defined shelf life. One day past and the whole issue is moot. Picken uppin ze phonen.
                                    Agreed!

Bringing this back to life. Has anyone heard of the AEGIS Powersports Protection Plan? I was told about this at the Honda dealer who did my brake recall. It is transferable and the same as the Honda version and this even includes seals and gaskets that I was told Honda Plan may not. For some reason the dealer can not offer the Honda version that made no sense to me but he will match the price I got from Blueridge. This is a 48 month extended warranty available from www.aegispowersports.com. I will be purchasing a warranty in the next week so I thought I would run this by all of you guys out there for some input.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page