Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goldwing Brake Recall

I had the Honda Goldwing factory brake recall done on my 2014 wing yesterday. The recall requires replacement of both the master cylinder and the secondary master cylinder, brake system flush, and fluid replacement. I forgot to ask my GW tech if he flushed the entire system and replaced 100% of the brake fluid. It didn't matter so I didn't remember to ask.

My fluid was clean as new because the Goldwing was purchased and placed in service in December 2014 and the brake (and clutch) fluid were changed at 12,000 miles and again not long ago at 24,000 miles.

The GW tech told me he had done five brake recalls recently. He said several of the recalls he did were on shiny, clean Goldwings but the brake fluid came out black and mud-like with grit and grime.

Fellow wingers, there is a good reason to replace clutch and brake fluid as prescribed by the Honda maintenance schedule.

My tech warned me before I rode my GW away that the new brake cylinders have different valving and cause the brakes to operate differently than original. He told me the rear brakes would require slightly more pedal travel before activation and the front brake would be stronger.

I didn't really notice rear pedal travel but the front brake does apply harder when the lever is pulled.
    Harvey Barlow
    Crosby County, TX
    2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
    2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

Yep, received my recall notice last Friday, but Weather's Honda in LaGrange, GA had already completed the work days before the notice. I didn't feel or notice any difference in the braking to my feel........just glad the deed is done. The Honda shop expects a backlog of Wings since the recall notice is out, and they only receive so many kits per week from Honda.
    Jim Jackson, Smiths Station, AL
    My Week Has 6-Saturdays and One Sunday. 2012 GW, 2011 H-D
    "We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities"….Prentice Ritter, Broken Trail

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I think I got the last kit available at the Lubbock dealer. Don't know how often they receive new supplies.

My advice to everyone who plans to ride next spring is make an appointment and have your recall service done this winter. Even if you have to trailer your wing to the dealer in snow.

When the weather turns nice next spring Goldwing techs are likely to be backed up for weeks, even months, when the late comers awake from their winter hibernation and discover it's riding time again.
      Harvey Barlow
      Crosby County, TX

And then there's some who regularly change the brake fluid as per Honda's recommendations and will never want to or need to get the recall done.

I'll wait until the dealer has done at least enough of these to be totally competent before allowing them to play with mine. That would be next summer for me.
        I'm in no rush, as I changed all my hydraulic fluids last summer. The flushed fluid was clear, but orange coloured, indicating some water absorption, as it's designed to do.

I considered ignoring the brake recall also. As I wrote above my Goldwing had already had the fluids changed twice this year and is not going to experience the rear brake drag.

My guess is the recall will always be in effect and available to you if your change your mind or a subsequent owner of your Goldwing wants it.

I may actually appreciate the stronger front brake application created by the changed brake cylinder valving but haven't ridden it enough to know yet.
          Harvey Barlow
          Crosby County, TX

I got my recall letter today and called the dealer. He said they were already slammed doing the recalls and also said to call back
            Jan 6th or 7th. He would be able to schedule me a time to do it while I waited or pick it later that day. He was happy because
            this was going to keep the shop busy thru the winter. He also told me Honda was only allowing them to order 2 sets per day. I guess this is to prevent some dealerships
            from stocking up on them and other not getting them.

Northeast, Alabama
            1995 GL1500, 2004 GL1800 & 2007 Aero 750

Got my ReCall Letter on Dec.15, had it fixed next day....have not noticed braking difference,but hell I only rode it 3/4 mile from shop to home...any how, HBarlow wondering if the recall is infinitely available>>>>> Mother Honda sez it'll be in effect as long as it's needed. I called them to find out if Iron Pony here in Columbus Ohio was a Certified Service/Dealer yet and to find out how long I would have to be able to accomplish the recall fix.. So now I can have my Wing serviced 3/4 mile from my home....Yaaaaaay.!!

I have seen no policy in writing but because Honda saw this as a potential liability issue as well as maintaining respect for and confidence in their flagship motorcycle my guess is there won't be a time limit or at least not a limit shorter than a few years.

I've read of a member or two in the last several years who had frames replaced on early GL1800s under the ten or fifteen year old frame recall.
                Harvey Barlow
                Crosby County, TX

I noticed my anti dive seems to release earlier, before coming down the hill to my driveway I would apply the brakes and as I turned into my drive there is about an inch rise in the curb. Before hitting this rise the bump was quite harsh even after releasing the brakes, now the Wing just glides over the rise.

Interesting observation. My GW tech told me cylinder valving was changed and that could also effect the anti-dive. I rode mine about 60 miles home from the dealer but it was all relatively smooth paved city street and highway so mine might also operate differently but I haven't noticed yet.
                    Harvey Barlow
                    Crosby County, TX

Just got my recall letter yesterday but i had my recall work done about two weeks ago. This is my second flush in 6 months i must say they did a good job the brakes are operating very nice. Just glad this crap is over with for now, Going to head up to Atlanta after the holidays to Traxxion Dynamics for there mega monty upgrade to better my riding experience its a bit pricy but from what i read and here it well worth the money.
                      2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

For anyone interested in what your Honda Shop will do under the brake recall notice, a link to the actual Honda Service Bulletin (SB-23) is below.

LINK

I'm a skeptic. I've read posts on truck, rv, and motorcycle forums where members heap praise on how great their whatever vehicle runs after an oil change or how smooth it is because they had a different brand of new tires installed.

A Goldwing has somewhat limited suspension travel by design. To achieve a truly outstanding bump absorbing ride the new suspension would have to have much greater travel along with progressively firming springs or shocks. BMW motorcycles have much greater suspension travel and are apparently much better at absorbing big bumps and dips. Aftermarket kits installed on a Goldwing can't accomplish that.

It's not my business if others choose to spend their money on those kits. I don't criticize or ridicule them, I just won't do it.
                          Harvey Barlow
                          Crosby County, TX

My 04 has 160,000 on the clock. There is no way in Hell I'm letting those dam fools at a dealer touch this bike again. I have very good reason (S) to call them that too!!

I change my fluids every year myself, I go through pads rather quickly too. I'm the only guy that rebuilds the ADV= Anti Dive Valve Top/Bottom. Never had any brake issues.

If my bike should ever drag on a trip.I'll get out my tool kit and release the SMC and continue on my trip.

Honda Dealers are for guys not like me!.
                            ************************************************** *******
                            Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
                            "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
                            Current bikes.
                            1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
                            1986 GL1200 SEi (Restored)
                            2004 GL1800

Originally posted by Bama Jack View Post
                              Yep, received my recall notice last Friday, but Weather's Honda in LaGrange, GA had already completed the work days before the notice. I didn't feel or notice any difference in the braking to my feel........just glad the deed is done. The Honda shop expects a backlog of Wings since the recall notice is out, and they only receive so many kits per week from Honda.
                              This is why I had mine done 3 weeks ago....no backlog for me..Come Spring time there will be dozens of Goldwings sitting idle in the dealers yard waiting for parts...

Originally posted by wingleader09 View Post
                                For anyone interested in what your Honda Shop will do under the brake recall notice, a link to the actual Honda Service Bulletin (SB-23) is below.

LINK
                                That's only the preliminary and interim service bulletin. It's not complete. It doesn't mention the main brake master cylinder which is also replaced.
                                Harvey Barlow
                                Crosby County, TX

• wingleader09
                                  wingleader09 commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  OK, thanks. Do you have a Service Bulletin number for that one? I'd like to look it up.

• HBarlow
                                  HBarlow commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I do but just poured a cup of fresh coffee. The letter and recall card are out in the GW trunk in my steel building out back. I'll go out and get it later and post the info here or email it to you if you prefer.

Is there a SB #24 available now? I Googled but couldn't find anything.
                                If you have a link or pdf copy, please post.

I recall reading the version posted above a couple months ago and also another version of a similar bulletin. Don't recall which was first.

The letter I received from Honda Tuesday referred to NHTSA Recall 15V-700. It does not mention the maintenance failure that caused the problem like the bulletin above but only mentions "a defect which relates to safety of certain 2012 - 2015 model year GL1800/GL1800B motorcycles." "There is a possibility the secondary master cylinder may cause the rear brakes to drag."

It doesn't mention replacing the primary master cylinder but that was included in the kit and replaced in my Goldwing.

This is all I received along with a letter advising that the motorcycle can be ridden as long as a brake safety inspection is performed before and after each ride. I haven't googled the recall number or searched for additional info.
                                  Harvey Barlow
                                  Crosby County, TX

I just googled the recall number and nothing returned. I opened the NHTSA website and entered the recall number in the search block and again saw no return. I can only guess the Goldwing recall is too new to show up?

Puzzling. I can say with certainty that a recall letter was sent and received, that I held the parts kit in my hand at the dealer, and watched my GW tech replace my primary and secondary master cylinder. I was allowed back in the shop and watched and talked with the tech for a few minutes but didn't stay to watch the entire process. Didn't want to overstay my welcome and get the service writer in trouble or annoy the tech.
                                    Harvey Barlow
                                    Crosby County, TX

Originally posted by HBarlow View Post
                                      I just googled the recall number and nothing returned. I opened the NHTSA website and entered the recall number in the search block and again saw no return. I can only guess the Goldwing recall is too new to show up?
                                      Run your VIN number instead. I received the letter today and this is what I also found running my VIN just now:
                                      • Year: 2008

• Category: Motorcycles

• Sub-Category: Touring

• Model: Gold Wing Premium Audio

• Number of Open Recalls: 1
                                      • Last Updated: Dec 17, 2015

NHTSA recall Number: 15V-700

Campaign Description: GL18 RR BRAKE DRAG RECALL

mfr campaign id: JV6

recall date: 10/16/2015

recall status: Recall INCOMPLETE

Summary:

AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO., INC. (HONDA) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2001-2015 HONDA GL1800 MOTORCYCLES. THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THE SECONDARY MASTER CYLINDER MAY CAUSE THE REAR BRAKE TO DRAG.

SAFETY RISK:

UNEXPECTED BRAKING INCREASES THE RISK OF A CRASH AND RIDING THE MOTORCYCLE WITH THE REAR BRAKE DRAGGING MAY GENERATE ENOUGH HEAT TO CAUSE THE REAR BRAKE TO CATCH FIRE.

REMEDY:

HONDA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE YOUR MOTORCYCLE'S SECONDARY MASTER CYLINDER AND REAR BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER AT NO COST TO YOU. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA MOTORCYCLE CUSTOMER SERVICE AT AT 1-866-784-1870. HONDA'S NUMBER FOR THIS RECALL IS JV6.

2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                                      USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                                      US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                                      2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                                      2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page