Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fog light bulbs

Does anyone know of replacement bulbs for the 35w halogen's in a 2006 GL that make more light? Maybe LEDs?

Jonh. if you are looking for more Nighttime visibility Then stay with the Halogens.

I have a HID Bulb kit in my driving lights and the only gain is the HID intensity in the day time.

I played with them on my recent Colorado tip out front in the dark and couldn't notice any light gain, when I turn them off/on with my HID projectors on. (They just light up the road for 20-25 feet in front of the bike because the are so low to the road)

That said:

The key to installing HID bulbs in the driving light housings is you need the "Short HID Bulbs" or they are to long to fit in the housings.(The bulbs will hit the Chrome Spot reflector if to long)

This is one of only two ebay sellers with the correct bulb length.

He even lists pictures of a H3 Halogen bulb for length comparison.

If your driving lights have a clear lens? go with 4300K color for the whitest light if you decide to go that route.

I use the Digital Ballasts that are double sided taped to the outside of the housings of the cowl as you are looking at them.

Here is the difference.

4300K is a whiter light.

Life is Tough, But It's Tougher If You're Stupid: "John Wayne"

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Rocky - my lights are 35w. Can I just "install" 55w halogen bulbs?

Lighting up the road a few feet in front is useful to me at times. I sometimes ride rallys in Mexico and sometimes you are going 10mph (literally) on a road not fit for a GS, let alone a Wing. Excellent "immediate" lighting helped me avoid blowing my fork seals on the last rally (other Wings were not so lucky)
      Last edited by johnocooper; 09-22-2015, 08:51 PM.

Originally posted by johnocooper View Post
        Rocky - my lights are 35w. Can I just "install" 55w halogen bulbs?

Lighting up the road a few feet in front is useful to me at times. I sometimes ride rallys in Mexico and sometimes you are going 10mph (literally) on a road not fit for a GS, let alone a Wing. Excellent "immediate" lighting helped me avoid blowing my fork seals on the last rally (other Wings were not so lucky)
        John. If you are using stock Wiring I wouldn't add any stronger wattage to the OEM wires/harness.

But if you have a Electrical Connection harness with a relay. (No matter the brand of lights) Then yes you can add the 55W bulbs without any issue.

Stock wiring harness so this issue is dead. Thanks.

SO Rocky, if I were to switch back to just H7 bulbs for headlights could I just buy Super-white 55w H7's from Autozone or Amazon? They are a lot cheaper than from Wingstuff.com Any recommends? Not supposed to be using the computer but I am hungry, thirsty and grumpy and bored.

Stock wiring harness so this issue is dead. Thanks.
              You can add this harness and then be able to use 55 Watt bulbs. (I have this harness. 9 years old and still working)

SO Rocky, if I were to switch back to just H7 bulbs for headlights could I just buy Super-white 55w H7's from Autozone or Amazon? They are a lot cheaper than from Wingstuff.com Any recommends? Not supposed to be using the computer but I am hungry, thirsty and grumpy and bored.
              Yes. you have a gammit of H7 Bulbs to choose from. (The key thing to look for in any bulb is "Lumens" )

Having first tried the H7 110=55 W Piaa's. I'd stay away from them due to their short life span. seems that can't take vibration.

The Silverstars seem to be holding up in some of my friends bikes.

FYI:
              Any Blue coated bulb gives off a bluish tint when lit. So go with a clear type bulb for a more effective White light..

Rocky, can you explain what the EC harness actually does? I understand electrical/electronic terms and wiring diagrams. I bought one and have it and installation seems trival, particularly since the moto is still torn apart.

Rocky, can you explain what the EC harness actually does? I understand electrical/electronic terms and wiring diagrams. I bought one and have it and installation seems trival, particularly since the moto is still torn apart.
                  John. What it does is bypass the thin OEM Wiring.
                  The Harness has it's own thicker gage wire that can handle the 55 watt bulbs.
                  It uses the OEM on/off switch as a relay trigger to send power from the battery to each of the driving/fog lights through the relay.

I swapped the harness for the EC version but now a new problem. Since EC does not use the high beam trigger wire they do not put a pin in the 4-pin connector for it so to get access to the high beam trigger (which I have to have) I would have to cut the GL wiring harness. I emailed EC and asked for a spare pin I could just plug into the empty hole in the 4-pin connector. I do nto want to cut the GL wiring harness if it can be avoided.

I replaced my HID's (and high beam) with Sylvania Silverstar ZXE, pricy but well reviewed and I found a comparison video on youtube. The claim is they are good alternatives to the white light of HID's, that is a bit of a fib, they are not nearly as white as HID's but they do a good job of lighting the road. One of the main reason i went back to halogen (other than your recommendation) was I have twice had HID fail on the road and replacing them is more difficult than halogen.

John, get the red PosiTaps (for 20-22 ga wire) and tap into the blue wire of the foglight switch for a high beam trigger.

The most powerful H7 bulb is Osram 64217: 65W, 2100 lumens, 3200K color temperature. These *may* damage your reflector housing. If you don't wanna take that chance, stick with 55W. Try the Philips X-treme Power (p/n 12972XPS2). All of the 55W halogens will be about 1500 lumens... doesn't really matter which one.

What really creates light is power; the wattage. If you're considering two bulbs and they're both 55W, then just flip a coin. One vendor may develop a new filament alloy that burns a little bit brighter, another vendor may develop a bulb gas that enhance brightness a little bit, but if it still only uses 55W, it won't make a huge difference. Just marketing bull****. This is true for halogen. For HID and LED things are a little different; but even though materials and technology have a bigger impact, power is still the big determinant of light output.

Regarding color temperatures, this applies to all light regardless of the source. Max power spectral density occurs at about 4100K; this is why, at least in the past, OEM HID lights targeted this temperature. If you're serious about using light to SEE, and not as a fashion statement, then this is arguably the color temperature to use.

However, some research has shown that the human eye recognizes features best in about 5000K light... so I'm no longer sure which temperature is best. If you stick within this range, you can't lose (4100 to 5000) but if you go too high you're definitely not gaining anything and you actually start losing both light intensity and the ability to perceive things in that light.

One last point if I may... the total light created by a bulb is given in lumens. If you have the most badass bulb in the world, however, your bulb housing can only project 10% of those lumens, how much does it matter that you have a badass bulb? Not much. The point is that light housings, good ones anyway, have a good deal of optical engineering in them and were made to work best with the type of light they came with. If you want LED lights, then buy an LED light. If you want HID lights, then buy an HID light. If you have halogen housings, then use halogen bulbs. The light output from a a bulb is one thing; the amount of that light that gets projected onto the road depends entirely on how well the bulb and housing interact.
                      George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

Originally posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
                        One last point if I may... the total light created by a bulb is given in lumens. If you have the most badass bulb in the world, however, your bulb housing can only project 10% of those lumens, how much does it matter that you have a badass bulb? Not much. The point is that light housings, good ones anyway, have a good deal of optical engineering in them and were made to work best with the type of light they came with. If you want LED lights, then buy an LED light. If you want HID lights, then buy an HID light. If you have halogen housings, then use halogen bulbs. The light output from a a bulb is one thing; the amount of that light that gets projected onto the road depends entirely on how well the bulb and housing interact.
                        Couldn't have said it any better myself.
                        From my experience with messing around with HID bulb kits in my F6B, which has a housing and reflector designed for halogen, I wasted a fair bit of money and time learning that the hard way.

Originally posted by bigbird View Post

Couldn't have said it any better myself.
                          From my experience with messing around with HID bulb kits in my F6B, which has a housing and reflector designed for halogen, I wasted a fair bit of money and time learning that the hard way.
                          I have some to the same conclusion after wasting time and money and some skin off my hands. I replaced the high beam bulbs just because I have the machine torn apart already and figure after 10 years they might need replacing.

I will tell you this there is not wide-spread agreement in the LD riding community. Many, many riders swear by HID's, even very high powered HID's and I was one of them until I really considered what Rocky had said and took an objective look. I will know a lot more about my lighting after I return from Texas in October - riding a couple of 1500+ mile in 24 hours days.

So it is done. Needs tires and an oil change and we are ready to go to Texas in Mid-OCT.

55w Phillips Superwhite H3's in Fog lights using EC harness (1500 Lumens each)
                            18W Denali LED's at the top of the forks (1650 lumens each) on a manual switch - not dimmable
                            60w LED Clearwater Erica's below the mirrors, dimmable, on High Beam trigger (6000 lumens each)
                            55w Sylvania Silverstar in both low and high beam (1500 lumens each - 3000 per side)

So it is done. Needs tires and an oil change and we are ready to go to Texas in Mid-OCT.

55w Phillips Superwhite H3's in Fog lights using EC harness (1500 Lumens each)
                              18W Denali LED's at the top of the forks (1650 lumens each) on a manual switch - not dimmable
                              60w LED Clearwater Erica's below the mirrors, dimmable, on High Beam trigger (6000 lumens each)
                              55w Sylvania Silverstar in both low and high beam (1500 lumens each - 3000 per side)
                              Got a photo of your lights off and on? Interested in seeing the Denali and Erics on the bike. Nothing like real world pics.
                              "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page