Clearwater Erica driving lights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearwater Erica driving lights

I finally got around to installing mine. These 60w LED devices make the sun jealous. DAMN! Definitely cannot be used on high with any traffic around. the Volume control and connection to the high beam are nice features. The lights can run at 15-40% on dim and go bright with the high beam. SUPER BRIGHT! Looking forward to crossing West Texas at night (it is dark in west Texas at night, I mean really dark)

Did you use the Clearwater brackets to hang them from your turn signals, or did you mount them another way?
    I found that when I tried to use Clearwater's mounting brackets from the GL1800 on my F6B, the rubber boots would not fit and seal properly. Clearwater had sent me a set to try, as they had never mounted either Erica's or Krista's on an F6B. They said their in house tech had the same problem when he tried an install on an F6B. Clearwater suggested I try PIAA's mounting brackets, but the total expense of brackets and lights was getting ridiculous.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

The brackets Clearwater set me are PIAA brackets (came in a PIAA box inside the CW box) that hang from the mirrors. There is certainly a minor gap where the rubber does not seal but not big deal. I have seen many. many GL1800's with CW lights mounted in this way. I wonder want is different about the F6B? I mean at long distance events there are dozens and dozens of GL's with the lights mounted below the mirrors. Lots of guys have TWO SETS of lights on each side, above and below the bracket. The price is crazy - almost $1000.

Originally posted by johnocooper View Post
        I wonder want is different about the F6B? I
        The F6B uses GL1800 mirrors, but from what I understand they are upside down on the F6B, which doesn't change the mounting base, but I believe it does change the way the rubber cover sits on the brackets.
        And the brackets that CW sent me gratis to try for them were not PIAA brackets. This was just 3 months ago.

I believe it. I have read the PIAA brackets are no longer available and I have had my kit for months but in the spring/summer rally season I just never had the time/motivation to tear apart the moto. Plus the LD riders rule of do not test new gadgets on a long ride applied. In October, there is a big IBA get together in Dallas (Irving) TX so I'll look for F6B's with light brackets. In November, there is a big get together in Hollywood. .

Post some pics of the install, please!

They look very similar to these:

http://www.socalmotogear.com/GL1800-...5-p/scpr35.htm
            Last edited by Cruiseman; 09-20-2015, 08:57 AM.
            GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
            Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

I added a link to four pictures - two show a close up of the rubber seal. Obviously on the bottom the rubber does not deal because the large bracket interferes with it. Only time will tell if water is an issue. As I mentioned I have seen dozens and dozens of GL's at LD events in this configuration and often with light kits above and below the bracket. The brackets may be similar to the offering by SoCal but the lights are not similar. 6000 lumens compared to 1100. Of course, the price is astronomical but the kit is complete. the switch, volume control, posi-tap and posi-lock the integration of volume control and a full-power on bright option is really nice. Clearwater did it right but they charge a small fortune for it.

the Crusieman link indicates the brackets are out of stock but this link from Socal http://www.socalmotogear.com/GL1800-...S-p/gl18br.htm indicates they are in stock. The picture looks similar but not identical to the PIAA brackets (which I understand are no longer available). My only regret is the Sevina's were not available when I bought the Ericas. The Sevina kit for the GL is $1174 - I paid less for my first two cars - COMBINED. I am also replacing the PIAA halogen bullet lights you see under the front fascia with 22w Denali LED.

After the frustration of trying so many light combinations on my bike I bit the bullet and went from a HID bulb kit to 3" HID Projectors.(3500K Color) Best lights out there to see where you are going and most importantly to lights up the ditches.

I used to have the Piaa style lights under the headlights. Got stopped one day by a Sherriff for too many lights on. (During the daytime)

The problem is here in CA is we can only have Four white lights on at any time.

The CA Vehicle code on forward facing white light definition is this.

1. Both Low beams count as 1 light.
                2. Both Hi-Beam lights count as 1 light.
                3. Each of the driving lights count as 1 light that equals 2 lights.

So to be legal here I had to remove the Piaa style lights. (they were only useful if you angled them anyways)

I run the Low beam HID Projectors/Hi-beams modulating/Running lights on all the time and it's legal during the daytime. (I have a switch that allows me to stop the Kisan modulation yet keep the hi-beams on all the time)

I added that switch so I can choose when I feel the need for the modulators, and when to stop them in traffic or at stop lights etc.

So needing to see at night while lighting up the ditches,yet no blinding on coming traffic. I chose HID Projectors. (Less than $200 invested)

Going with HID Projectors is two fold.

1. They light up the ditches at night and project light further down the road than any number of Halogen or LED bulbs out there today. I a three lane highway I light up all three lanes and both ditches.

2. The projectors are dual Low/Hi beams, They drop down the cutoff line when you use a switch to switch from Low to Hi beam. That in turns projects the light higher and further down the road. This aids you to see further when there is no oncoming traffic.

With these HID Projectors, I don't need any extra lights hanging off the bike to see where I'm going above 80 mph at night.

Should I need more light?
                I simply raised the OEM headlight switch (Luckily my 04 allows you to do that while underway).

I took it up another level by installing a H3 HID bulb kit in my driving lights.

I only use my Halogen Hi Beams during the daytime so I can run my modulators. At night my HID/Projectors outshine them rendering the Hi-beam halogen bulbs useless for added vision down the road.

You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                  I bit the bullet and went from a HID bulb kit to 3" HID Projectors.(3500K Color) Best lights out there to see where you are going and most importantly to lights up the ditches.
                  Rocky, would you be so kind as to post the make, model, and source of your 3" HID projectors.
                  If you don't want to post that info on the forum, then please PM it to me.
                  My HID bulb kit is certainly bright enough, but the light is all over the place, including oncoming driver's eyes.
                  Thanks.

Originally posted by bigbird View Post

Rocky, would you be so kind as to post the make, model, and source of your 3" HID projectors.
                    My HID bulb kit is certainly bright enough, but the light is all over the place, including oncoming driver's eyes.
                    Thanks.
                    Ditto

The California law is not well understood by the CHP. I ride from time to time with two CHiPs and neither really knows the law on headlights beyond the maximum of 4. I have been stopped in California but I was not ticketed. One of my CHiP friends describes it as something I would not stop you for unless it was obvious - like you were blinding me with 10 lights or I stopped you for something else and you ****ed me off. Attitude is everything. In Spokane WA I was in a hurry (IRB) and running 71 in a 60 and a motor officer stopped me and warned me about the lights. At the time I was burning 6 bulbs. He told me four is the limit. he asked me what is the hurry, I told him, he had done his first IBA certificate ride 6-months prior so not even a written warning plus he told me what was acceptable on Washington freeways.

Originally posted by bigbird View Post

Thanks.

The supplier I used a few years ago no longer sells the 3.0 Mini Moto projectors. The common size has been the 2.5 inch lens. with the Mini Gatling chrome shrouds.

You can do a ebay search for the 2.5 H7 minimoto projectors and most will toss in the Mini Gatling gun shrouds.
                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-2-5-Mini-...84a21d&vxp=mtr

Here is a seller for the 3.0 projectors.
                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/131533865413...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This seller has the 2.0 Gatling Shrouds. The ones I use with the 3.0.
                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/111643750383...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Both of the above sizes fit right in.

Here is a close up of mine.

For you Johnocooper.

Guys with t5he IBA have done 4 HID Projectors.

The low beams are 2.5 & the Hi beams are the smaller 1.8 HID Hi-beam projectors.
                        Here is the 1.8 HID Projectors.
                        http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...284377755.html

You can't run Modulators with HID's though, HID's don't like that! so that left me out of the HID Hi-Beams.

I did have Projectors in my Hi-Beams at one time. I had H1 Halogen bulbs so I could run the modulators.

3.0 w/ G37 Shrouds (They needed modifying to fit, But I made them work)
                        2.5 Hi-beams with halogen bulbs.

Told you guys I had played with a lot of light combinations in the past..lol

The reason I pulled the Halogen Projectors out was their ineffectiveness at night with the HID bulb projectors in the Low/Ho-Beams in the Low beams sockets.

If I were a IBA Rider. I'd go with four HID Projectors. then you'll look like a 747 Stratoliner landing on the freeway.

Keep in mind that these HID projectors need the H1 HID Bulbs to fit in them.

So you'll need to buy H1 Bulbs if you already have a HID H7 kit in your bike. (Discard the H7 HID bulbs)

Here is How I take off my Cowls. :1t humbup:

Would of been faster if I remembered to disconnect them stupid Side cowl LED lights.

************************************************** *******

Thanks for the complete details, Rocky

Crikey! Were those side cutters you were using at the end of the video Rocky?
                            GL1800 8A - TRIUMPH SCRAMBLER 900

Good catch there Mate--

Yes they were to cut off the ty-wraps I installed to keep the Projector Shroud LED back light wires out of harms way.

Those wires were attached to the Grey wire for the Hi/lo beam cut off solenoid. When I made that vide

They now have a plug like on the lower left in this picture below. (No more clipping the ty-wraps)

Taking the cowls off for me is way faster than mucking round upside down feeling around for a clip n such.

I prefer to work "Smarter not Harder"
                              ************************************************** *******

Nice video. When can I come over?

There's some SERIOUS lighting going on in here!

John, can I assume you hard wired these lights to draw power directly from the battery... with the wiring running all the way back to the battery?

I have the Baja Designs Squadron Pros mounted on the PIAA 74008 brackets. I'd love to have those 6,000 lumens but I wanted something a little more tucked in. These are 43W 4,300 lumens per light; on pitch black roads these things are like having a daylight switch. I can imagine what yours do!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00731_cropped.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	61811
                                  George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

Yes, I used the CW harness as it was designed. I thought about running it to my EC fuse panel because I don't like adding things to the battery terminal. The lights should draw about 10amp - max so even as they are very bright not really a big power draw. less than my electric vest/gloves. I have PIAA halogen's where you have your LED's and I am replacing the PIAAs with LED, just swapping the lights, leaving the PIAA relay and all in place. I really like the HID retrofit but not sure I am up for the work. I ride a lot of rallys and there is nothing like LIGHT to find a bonus at night,

Well, with the discussion in here and a comment by MMR about my lights being in the main airflow path for the bike's intakes, I went ahead and popped for those SoCal under mirror mounts (and a couple other goodies from SoCal).

If I have to, I'll trim the rubber piece, ever so slightly, to make it fit as flush as I can.
                                      George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

Madstad and LEDRider driving lights sitting in the garage waiting for install.
                                        I have decided to use 2 waterproof PB switches (Trail Tech 040-LS-B); one to activate the 2 light levels I want (0% and 10%) and the other to activate 100%.
                                        That way I won't have to worry about water compromising any electricals.
                                        Unfortunately the switches could be as much as 1 month away, which puts my installs over the winter.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page