X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got ABS on my F6B.
    It's useless until you need it.
    I've needed it once.
    Got caught in a light rain, the road was like grease before the rain washed the surface clean. I needed to only moderately brake.
    The ABS activated and the stop was straight and true.
    I wouldn't buy another motorcycle without it.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Terry, out of curiosity, what kind of feedback does the bike give you when ABS kicks in?

On some vehicles the feedback is pretty severe; the brake pedal will modulate harshly... which is a distraction in a car much less on a bike.
      George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

• jmohme
        jmohme commented
        Editing a comment
        ABS on the Goldwing operates differently than it does on a lot of other vehicles.
        If my understanding is correct, the GL1800 system utilizes a base braking system that has more capacity than is required to stop the bike. By doing this the ABS system only has to be able to bleed off braking pressure, so there is no pulsing as pumps apply more pressure.

In the instance that I noted earlier, I felt nothing. Just a smooth controlled straight line stop.

• srt8-in-largo
        srt8-in-largo commented
        Editing a comment
        Huh. Thanks for that JM.

Almost none. There is a slight buzzing from the ABS pump and the ABS light comes on. It's really seamless, not like cars with cheap ABS systems that make a horrendous grinding sound and the brake pedal vibrates.

Had I known that I would probably have tried harder to locate a new Wing with ABS or waited a few weeks until more 2015s were delivered. I looked for one but didn't want the cherry red color. Lots of them were available so I guess many others didn't care for the color either.

I hadn't done any research because I had no plan and no interest in buying a new Wing until my 2010 had spent seven long weeks in the Honda shop and no estimate of when it would be repaired was available.
        Harvey Barlow
        Crosby County, TX
        2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
        2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

HB, what happened to your 2010 if you don't mind me asking?

• HBarlow
            HBarlow commented
            Editing a comment
            I described the events several months ago. In short, one day with 93,000 miles on the odometer but still covered under Honda's extended warranty I backed out of a parking space using reverse. When I stopped and clicked it off, an odd flashing light showed. Electric reverse and cruise control were gone. Because of the warranty which required Honda approval on every part, a boy service writer, and lots of service work for their one GW tech the dealer took weeks to diagnose three failed modules, one by one, and receive and install the parts. It began with the reverse actuator which is an electric solenoid with a pulley and cable failed and took out two complex modules up stream to the power source. No one had ever seen the problem before including the folks at Honda in LA. When the seventh week arrived I bought a new Goldwing from another dealer and started riding again. The 2010 was repaired during the 8th week. Honda paid for at least 30 hours of labor and several expensive parts. The 2010 was very clean with perfect maintenance history. I sold it a few weeks later.

Electric Adjustable windshield would be nice on my "6". Other than that I'm good.
          2013 Black F6B

My wife is complaining about the lack of proper back support and discomfort using the Honda passenger back rest with an extension mounting bracket to raise it up on my F6B.
            Short of trading for a GL1800, any suggestions?

IMO there is only one solution - buy that Goldwing you mentioned.
              Harvey Barlow
              Crosby County, TX
              2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
              2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

Originally posted by bigbird View Post
                I've got ABS on my F6B.
                It's useless until you need it.
                I've needed it once.
                Got caught in a light rain, the road was like grease before the rain washed the surface clean. I needed to only moderately brake.
                The ABS activated and the stop was straight and true.
                I wouldn't buy another motorcycle without it.
                Is it the law in Canada that Honda must provide ABS on the F6B and if so it just doesn't make any sense to me why they don't have it available for the US market. You would think that the increased $$$$ for the ABS bike in the US would mean more profit for Honda. It's not like they are trying to re-invent the wheel, they already have ABS for Canadian F6B's.
                When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
                Jimi Hendrix
                Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

Originally posted by RoadRat View Post

Is it the law in Canada that Honda must provide ABS on the F6B and if so it just doesn't make any sense to me why they don't have it available for the US market. You would think that the increased $$$$ for the ABS bike in the US would mean more profit for Honda. It's not like they are trying to re-invent the wheel, they already have ABS for Canadian F6B's.
                  No, it's not the law that our motorcycles require ABS.
                  Honda's answer is that they build the bikes based on the importer's requirements.
                  Honda Canada wants ABS on all their F6B's, so that's what they get.
                  The US wants a deluxe F6B with centre stand, heated grips, backrest, and self cancelling turn signals. That's what they get.
                  Europe wants reverse and ABS on their F6B. That's what they get. For 2015, everyone wanted cruise on their F6B's so that's what they all got.
                  It makes sense that they get what they want, but what they ask for makes absolutely no sense. Why Canadian F6B's wouldn't come with heated grips is beyond me. But I'll take the ABS.

Originally posted by HBarlow View Post
                    IMO there is only one solution - buy that Goldwing you mentioned.
                    I guess I should have posted this in the GL1800B section where F6B owners could contribute something.
                    Unfortunately (or fortunately for me), I can't afford to part with my F6B and buy an "oldwing".
                    If I had my druthers, I'd be riding a Valkyrie rather than an F6B. Those Valks rock! My wife, however, would not like riding passenger on a Valk.

No, it's not the law that our motorcycles require ABS.
                      Honda's answer is that they build the bikes based on the importer's requirements.
                      Honda Canada wants ABS on all their F6B's, so that's what they get.
                      The US wants a deluxe F6B with centre stand, heated grips, backrest, and self cancelling turn signals. That's what they get.
                      Europe wants reverse and ABS on their F6B. That's what they get. For 2015, everyone wanted cruise on their F6B's so that's what they all got.
                      It makes sense that they get what they want, but what they ask for makes absolutely no sense. Why Canadian F6B's wouldn't come with heated grips is beyond me. But I'll take the ABS.
                      Thanks Terry Yes I agree with you about the heated grips, that doesn't make sense and it seems that it would make it more difficult for Honda to make 3 different varieties of bikes. (US, Canada & Europe) But, as my good friend always says.......What the hell do I know.
                      When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
                      Jimi Hendrix
                      Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

My wife is complaining about the lack of proper back support and discomfort using the Honda passenger back rest with an extension mounting bracket to raise it up on my F6B.
                        Short of trading for a GL1800, any suggestions?

Harley Tourpak with the passenger backrest. Or even a cheap knock-off of the Tourpak.

Originally posted by srt8-in-largo View Post

Harley Tourpak with the passenger backrest. Or even a cheap knock-off of the Tourpak.
                          I'll look into that.
                          But then my bike will look like an "oldwing"

ps I just Googled and found that a few guys have done this mod. However, all the pictures and descriptions are on that forum that banned me, so I can't see squat. That's what I get for challenging the forum owner about his vendor vendetta. I guess the last laugh is his.

Originally posted by RoadRat View Post

it seems that it would make it more difficult for Honda to make 3 different varieties of bikes. (US, Canada & Europe)
                            I believe all versions of GL1800 including the B's come off the same assembly line in Japan.
                            It's no big deal for Honda to change the accessory fitment, as they all have the same frame and drivetrain. It's nothing to install a different wiring harness, brake system, or handlebar layout using the different subsystems that just bolt on to the common frame.
                            I would think they would make complete runs of bikes for different markets, rejig whatever needs to be rejigged, and make the next importer's run of bikes.

What I would change would be to make every level capable of being upgraded. For example, if I get a level 1, I should be able to add factory XM or NAVI without having to by the next Level up. For me, I do have a level 1 and would like to add a factory XM but I do not believe it is possible, I understand about the NAVI, it needs to be a larger display, but they could make the larger display standard,or to be able to add ABS or Airbag could give Honda have more options in the Add Sales market, one thing Harley does a great job with. As far as the LED's all around go, they are great for brake and Turn signals, not so much for headlights. I think a 6 or 7 geared transmission would be a great improvement. A redesign of the consumable replacement locations, particularly the air filter, someone dropped the ball on this one and to think Honda left it that way for so many years...

I believe all versions of GL1800 including the B's come off the same assembly line in Japan.
                                It's no big deal for Honda to change the accessory fitment, as they all have the same frame and drivetrain. It's nothing to install a different wiring harness, brake system, or handlebar layout using the different subsystems that just bolt on to the common frame.
                                I would think they would make complete runs of bikes for different markets, rejig whatever needs to be rejigged, and make the next importer's run of bikes.
                                Even after all these years I think we're still riding on the world's largest aluminum motorcycle frame... and I'm pretty sure ours is the largest wiring harness too.

http://www.goldwingworld.com/pages/gl1800-design.htm

Originally posted by srt8-in-largo View Post

Yes please, larger rear luggage that we can put two modular helmets in. We have the 2008 Airbag and due to the older storage card used for the navigation it is really a challenge. On more than one occasion we have hung the helmets off the external helmet locks since it is difficult to get into the current trunk. Then there would be a rain storm when we were eating (kind of puts the "bucket" in brain bucket). If we had a larger trunk that would not have happened.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                                  widgetinstance 272 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                  Working...
                                  X