Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Issue Help Needed

2005 Wing, bought new, now with 87,000 miles. Accessories are Kennedy hook up for FSR radio. No CD, CB, or any other electrical device except the EC trailer isolator harness.

I have pulled an 2007 Aspen Classic, with brakes, since new with no issues.

On my trip last week to Colorado I had an issue twice. The cruise control would disengage and both turn indicator lights would illuminate at about half of normal light. I do not know if the turn signals were also on as I couldn't see them but my BIL stated the trailer turn lights were on.

If I turned on a turn signal then cancelled it they would go off and the cruise would work again.

I have searched both boards without any luck. Any ideas where to start? I am thinking a relay?

First let me be clear.....I'm not an electrical guy, but I will share with you my problem on my '05 with issues exactly like yours.....almost identical. After an exhausting search and many checks, almost from the front end to the rear end which took me all day long and very flustering I stumbled on this large white connector stuffed inside a black boot immediately under the pillion seat toward the rear of bike.......see picture. I found some information on the Steve Sanders website that lead me to this discovery. There is a green ground wire on one side of the connector which is the main ground for the complete rear lighting system. My problem was the aluminum connectors inside the white connector had fused together assume because of heat. At any rate, I like to have never got this plug apart since that one wire was fused together. After pulling and pulling and manipulating the plug finally came apart.....it really took a while and a lot of strength. The quick fix was to make a jumper wire from one side of the plug to the other (see picture) and that is working to this day. Hope this helps or gives you a place to check or even perhaps fixes your issue. Good luck. After the fact, I talked to some knowledgeable folks about the issue and they told me this was a very common problem on this generation of Gold Wings, but alas I had never heard of it, but I know now.

PS: If the above doesn't fix the issue, then your EC Isolator is probably faulty and should be replaced. I had that issue at one point in time as well which acts very similar with the dash lights and the trailer lights on. I hate electrical problems.....I am so inapt at electrical stuff and it takes me very long hours to chase down these electrical issues. They make me utter ugly words to!

Jim Jackson, Smiths Station, AL
    My Week Has 6-Saturdays and One Sunday. 2012 GW, 2011 H-D
    "We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities"….Prentice Ritter, Broken Trail

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Relays do go bad. If you're saying your isolator is 8 years old, could be time for a new one.
      George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

As I understand it this is an intermittent problem? (the worst kind)

The first thing I would do is disconnect the EC isolater from the circuit, clean up the contacts, replace the relay(s) and re-install.

Bama- I think you're brilliant! Electrical gremlins can be tough to track- old Sherlock has nothing on you. Thanks for the very informative post

Originally posted by CaptLen View Post
            Bama- I think you're brilliant! Electrical gremlins can be tough to track- old Sherlock has nothing on you. Thanks for the very informative post

+1 on that... it has a picture and everything

Thanks, I got similar input from Techdude2000 on the other board. I have cleaned the ground contacts and performed the jumper as both of you have stated.

The EC isolator is about 4 years old as my original Big Bike Parts one went bad. Still it could be faulty but the symptoms point to a ground issue (dim lights providing a ground path).

I will try it to see if it is cured. Thanks for the input.

Originally posted by bipeflier View Post
                Thanks, I got similar input from Techdude2000 on the other board. I have cleaned the ground contacts and performed the jumper as both of you have stated.

The EC isolator is about 4 years old as my original Big Bike Parts one went bad. Still it could be faulty but the symptoms point to a ground issue (dim lights providing a ground path).

I will try it to see if it is cured. Thanks for the input.
                Techdude2000 is an excellent source for these type problems and he's very good at it. He can quote pages in the manual etc and direct one to a proper solution. I've watched his post helping Wingers for a number of years. Unfortunately, I know just enough to get me in trouble and sometimes I come up with a solution and somethimes I make the problem worst. I graduated from the Mechanical University School of "Hard Knocks".
                Jim Jackson, Smiths Station, AL
                My Week Has 6-Saturdays and One Sunday. 2012 GW, 2011 H-D
                "We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities"….Prentice Ritter, Broken Trail

Knock on wood, lots of miles in the last week and no further issue since working on the ground connections.

Thanks for the help.

Good deal Flier; thanks for the update.

Looks like this issue has been resolved....BUT...I will add the same notes that Bama Jack found. I worked on my friends '05 Wing about 2 months ago, and when I removed the seat, and found that same connector......it already had the jumper wire on it, on the exact same wire. 100 % positive it is the exact same wire that Bama Jack noted in the picture.

My '06 does NOT have this problem at all.....nor did my '03, or my '04, so it appears to be prevalent in the '05 bikes.

Good datapoint MMR... but what... exactly... is going on here?

A defect in the connector that causes an intermittent or spotty ground connections? I assume that's a Sumitomo... they're VERY good at making connectors and have been doing it a VERY long time. So idk about this one.

Temperatures high enough to fuse the connector contacts together? Uh, no. Aluminum, if that's what the contacts are made of, still has a very high melting temperature. Other damage from such high temperature would occur first; the wire jackets would melt off well in advances of the metal fusing.

Are the connector contacts corroding galvanically... causing them to slowly become insulated from each other and make it "feel" like they were fused together? Maybe, but this would also have to fall through a few cracks in the engineering processes of a couple of companies who have proven to be very competent.

However, if Sumitomo is having these connector contacts sourced and stamped in China... well, anything is possible then.

Generally speaking, products DESIGNED in the west (Japan included) but then manufactured in China are typically as good as if they were made anywhere else. However... the area of advanced, high precision, modern-technology metallurgy in China is still very lacking. If for whatever reason the metal for these contacts was decided to be sourced from some smelt in mainland China... then there's no telling what you might get.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                        widgetinstance 272 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X