Final Drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Drive

What are the symptoms of a final drive failing? How much play should the rear wheel have when you have it on the center stand and in gear (how far should the wheel rotate)? I have a take off on hand but don't know what to look for when it starts to fail.
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=20px]Tim & Mary[/SIZE]
    2002 An Orange One
    Progressive Monotubes
    2012 Shock Progressive Spring
    Darksider #1638, BT45 Front, Michelin Alpine ZP
    Rocky Risers
    Yoda Mount[/FONT][/COLOR]

Good question. I have never had one fail, or seen one that has failed, but I know some on here have had to replace theirs. I know there is some slop in the rear wheel when in gear, but I have never measured it. I am just guessing that a failing drive would make quite a bit of noise. You might also find metal shavings in the final drive oil when you drain it. I suppose it would depend on the nature of the failure.

You can usually find replacements on eBay from bikes that have been triked, some of them brand new. I know there was a dealer who just threw them away after triking a brand new Goldwing! Can you imagine?
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I didn't notice any noise she mine went out, just started leaking oil.

I have read from other sites there could be some slight hesitation but CAC is proof that they can just go. Going to get one and put it on the shelf just in case you can find them fairly easy even on this site.
        2010 Pearl Yellow L3, Double Darksider #856, Ultimate Midrider Seat w Yellow inlays, F4+4 Tinted, Live To Ride, Love my Wing

Originally posted by CAC View Post
          I didn't notice any noise she mine went out, just started leaking oil.

CAC, how many miles did you have when yours started leaking? Were there any special circumstances that contributed to the failure... or would you say just normal wear and tear?
          George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

Originally posted by srt8-in-largo View Post

CAC, how many miles did you have when yours started leaking? Were there any special circumstances that contributed to the failure... or would you say just normal wear and tear?
            I was at 210,000 on a cold January day. I thought I smelled something at a coffee stop, but dismissed it. When I had it it my garage later I could really smell it and that's she I saw it leaking down over the wheel. I bought a trike take off for 50 bucks and replaced it myself. Took the old one into the shop and they gave me a new replacement under warranty. It's on my shelf waiting. 73 or so on the trike take off right now. (it was new)

I spoke with a trusted mechanic about final drives while at Montrose and he suggested that I fill my spare rear with oil while being stored to keep the seals from drying out. Makes sense to me do I'll being doing that. I've had it for a year and a half now.

These things are CHEAP on ebay and often new. I bought a new one (seller claimed it was new) for $75 and put it on at 120K miles just because...

Cruiseman - bought and watched all your GL videos - even the ones that do not apply to me. Need video on Alternator and Water Pump replacement,

Originally posted by CAC View Post

I was at 210,000 on a cold January day. I thought I smelled something at a coffee stop, but dismissed it. When I had it it my garage later I could really smell it and that's she I saw it leaking down over the wheel. I bought a trike take off for 50 bucks and replaced it myself. Took the old one into the shop and they gave me a new replacement under warranty. It's on my shelf waiting. 73 or so on the trike take off right now. (it was new)

Good stuff; I appreciate you arming me with that information.

I just replaced mine at 144,000. The ride after the swap was a lot smoother than before.I think it had been going and I just didn't notice.I'm going to try and turn it in for a new one,I'm still under warranty until 2/16.

Sounds like anybody approaching 100,000 miles (160,000 km for our Canadian friends) should stock up on an alternator and a final drive.... and ideally... see if your dealer will take the old part for warranty reimbursement.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                      widgetinstance 272 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X