Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel economy

can I get a discussion going on fuel economy....what kind of fuel do you use....how far can you go on tank....city versus highway or combined.....honesty and accuracy would be appreciated.

Sure, 2013 F6B, regular high quality top tier (87) gasoline, 400 km to a tank, which is about 16km/L, which works out to about 39 US mpg.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

:-)
      GL1800 8A - TRIUMPH SCRAMBLER 900

85 mostly or 87, whatever I can find. 62,000 miles and no problems yet. YMMV
        DS#1146 IBA#55800 50CC,BBG, BB1500 x2, SS2K, SS1Kx3 CERTIFIED ALL DS, PGR RC
        2010 Level3 Endeavor Reverse Trike

87 octane with 10% ethanol nets me ~41mpg. If I go above 3000 rpm the mpg drops to ~37-39.

Z-Man is on to something. The owners manual specifies to use 87 octane and it does work best, higher octane just means you spend more. For cruising speeds below 3000 rpm 40MPG is what I get unless the speed is down in the 50MPH when the miles per gallon may go up as high as in the 50'MPG. And above 3000 RPM the miles per gallon takes a dive directly related to how fast you go.
            Harvey
            Ride Safe and Ride Often

I don't calculate MPG.ni know when I ride, 98.9% solo I can get between 180-210 miles before I start getting really concerned. I generally use 87 octane

I've always wished the GW had a sixth gear that was slightly higher then the current final drive ratio. I could go 70-80mph and not eat as much gas.

About 215-230 miles to the tank combined highway/city

Page 46 of my owners Manual reads

" Use unleaded petrol with a research octane number of 91 or higher."

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-08-27 17 01 20.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	60621
                    GL1800 8A - TRIUMPH SCRAMBLER 900

I used to average around 38mpg on 87 octane. After having my ECU re-programmed for the stumble issue, I am down to around 33 average. I can get up to 40 on the highway with the wind at my back, but that's about it.
                      GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
                      Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Originally posted by Z-Man View Post
                        I've always wished the GW had a sixth gear that was slightly higher then the current final drive ratio. I could go 70-80mph and not eat as much gas.
                        I have always wanted a 6th gear too. However, I am not sure it will make a big difference in mileage. I have tried driving 60mph and compared to 70mph I can't see much difference in mileage.
                        GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
                        Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                          Page 46 of my owners Manual reads

" Use unleaded petrol with a research octane number of 91 or higher."

From your userid, it sounds like you're in Oz or NZ. Your fuel recommendation is in the European standard, which is RON (Research Octane Number).
                          In N. America we use PON (Pump Octane Number). 91 RON = 87 PON. They are the same grades of fuel.

Originally posted by Z-Man View Post
                            The problem with a higher ratio is that you take the chance of dropping the engine RPMs out of "the sweet spot" where everything is running at peak efficiency.
                            The GL1800 does have pretty flat horsepower/torque curve, and an exceptionally wide useable RPM Range, but when I run a taller 70 series tire, I have never seen an increase in MPG's.

Gearing is matched to engine performance specs, so unless the engines performance profile were to be altered to match, adding a gear would just mean more shifting.

The engine in its current form would probably have a better chance of increased fuel economy if it had a properly spaced 4 speed gear box. It may not be as good of a Dragon slayer, but there would be a little less parasitic load turning two less gear sets than it would with a six speed transmission.

Am I the only one who RIDES this bike? I get 34 to 35 mpg city and refill at about 180 miles. Riding gently I get 40 mpg city.

On the highway I get 40 to 41 mpg at 70mph and start thinking about refilling at 230 or 240 miles. However... I have an aux fuel tank on the way and will be stretching highway rides to 400 miles
                              George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

I run regular unleaded and get @230 miles on a tank.

Average mpg is @39~42mpg at best.

I haven't tried street only or highway travel only on my ride yet.

I have to use 87 with 10% ethanol. I normally look for gas at 200 miles, allowing me to find a gas station. I usually have to fill up between 3 and 3 1/2 gallons depending on how fast I go, I like going fast. The furthest I have pushed it was 225-230 miles and then start to worry cuz I am usually out in no where land. I do carry 3 MSR 32oz fuel bottles with me. One in case I run across a biker who may have run out of gas, the other two for the Wing. At the end of the season I throw the gas in the bottles in the snowblower.
                                  "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

My F6B ranges about 36 to 41 US mpg. Always run 87 regular Shell.
                                    2013 Black F6B

Only buying 6 gallons at a time - Who really gives a $hit about mileage The faster I go the more fuel I use
                                      Whoever said money can’t buy happiness, never paid for a divorce

IBA # 40576

Getting 210 miles per tank on an average with normal riding if i ride aggressively 180 mile per tank. I find very little increase in MPG with higher octane fuels not worth the extra cost.
                                        2010 Pearl Yellow L3, Double Darksider #856, Ultimate Midrider Seat w Yellow inlays, F4+4 Tinted, Live To Ride, Love my Wing

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page