alternator whistle

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing has changed, still ringing and still running. Anyone with a thought to what it is?

https://youtu.be/J68rHz2D9xM

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by CAC View Post
      Nothing has changed, still ringing and still running. Anyone with a thought to what it is?

https://youtu.be/J68rHz2D9xM
      Did I see almost 274,000 miles on your odometer?
      Dave - Arizona - 2012/GL1800

Wow. Dingaling indeed.
        Seems to be rev responsive, goes away off the idle.
        Wish I could help.
        GL1800 8A - TRIUMPH SCRAMBLER 900

Originally posted by 530ktm View Post
          Did I see almost 274,000 miles on your odometer?
          Yes, but that was back in August. Now it's at 287,584

What happens when the bike is in gear with the clutch pulled in; same sequence of events?
            George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

I wonder if you have a bearing going out somewhere.

Originally posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
                What happens when the bike is in gear with the clutch pulled in; same sequence of events?
                I'll try and pay attention, but I've heard it at a stop light and I'm never in neutral when stopped. So I'm 99% sure it is the same.

Originally posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
                  I wonder if you have a bearing going out somewhere.
                  Seems like it's temperature induced. Got a pm from a guy that suggests its the water pump. He had one doing the same thing, while the water pump checked out ok and seemed fine, when he changed it the noise went away.

Boy that's tricky. From your video the whistle is quite abrupt once the mid mark is reached on the temp gauge... and then abruptly off with the throttle. Almost like a switch.

A bad bearing probably wouldn't behave like that.

Whistles like this are commonly produced by fluids, gaseous or liquid, flowing across a smooth edge of some sort in a laminar state. This seems more likely. When your bike reaches the right temperature and is allowed to idle, the fluids may be in a laminar flow... and somehow somewhere a smooth edge is projecting itself into the flow that creates the whistle. When you blip the throttle, the laminar flow is disrupted into turbulence and the whistle disappears. Once back at idle, the laminar flow, and whistle, reappear.

This kinda points to your thermostat, no? Your bike has enough miles to need a new one; maybe it isn't opening all the way and the smooth edge on the valve is the offending surface.

Or a throttle body blade that isn't closing all the way.

Both this and your tstat are in the area of the alternator. Both are subject to fluid flowing across them. And both are affected directly by throttle control.

Just a heads up if you don't know already... please DON'T try cleaning your throttle body with any sort of harsh chemical. Many TB's have molybdenum coatings that are washed off and unknowingly ruined by people spraying brake cleaner in them.

• CAC
                        CAC commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank you, .

Str8, I did change out the radiator cap since I had one that fit from another bike. I'll look into the thermostat. I'll break out the manual tonight and see where it is and how hard it is to get to. Winter is almost here so it may wait until then. Thanks for the inputs and warnings.

Str8, I did change out the radiator cap since I had one that fit from another bike. I'll look into the thermostat. I'll break out the manual tonight and see where it is and how hard it is to get to. Winter is almost here so it may wait until then. Thanks for the inputs and warnings.
                        Check out the pictures that Rocky posted in post #14 of this thread with pictures of water pump location, components, etc.
                        When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
                        Jimi Hendrix
                        Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

Yeah those are great pics. I had no idea where this stuff was located; and I think that's the starter on the other side of the water pump, no?

Keep us updated. You sure have a weird one here but with a bit of good bird-dogging you'll get it figured out.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page