Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centramatic wheel balancers.

Just curious if anyone has ever used this product on their wing? Says you dont have to use wheel weights. Are they really worth it, or is it just another gimmick. They are expensive one way or another.

I have never used them but it seems that everyone that has tried them likes them.
    Richard
    Darksider #390
    Murgie's FAQ

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I have used them. Got mad as hell at the shop that asked me to try them. After a 5000 mile ride, I made them take these off my bike, give me a new set of tires, and balance it the original way, with weights.

The issue is that these Centramatic wheel balancers can NOT keep the wheels balanced at higher speeds. On my bike...a 2006 Wing at that time, any speeds over 80 mph, the entire front end of the bike would shake, due to lack of balance.

Personally, I will never use them again. I now use the balance beads, and am very happy, even at max speed.

I use Dyna Beads with no problem at any speed they are much cheaper for sure

John
        John - Richmond 2013 GL1800, Level 3

I use them, I like them. On a good road the bike is a smooth as glass. I can touch the top of the clutch or brake reservoirs and zero vibration at any speed.
          I picked up a used set from a member of the "Other" board, who never installed them, and the price was good.
          This weekend I replaced the front tire G709 which was about a millimeter to the wear bars.
          No cupping and good even wear throughout the tire at 14,571 miles. I am sure I could have got another 2,000 mile out of the tire, however I have a much longer trip planned and I didn't want to deal with replacing the tire on the road.

And if, for any reason I didn't like them or if they stop exceeding my expectations, I will toss them in the trash and report back.

Rick
          2010 GL1800ADA (CDN eh!)
          DS 1126
          15 Tiger 800 XCX
          14 WR250R
          95 FLSTC Sold to a nice family.

Have them on my bike, they work great, I've been up to 100 MPH and the bike is smooth as silk.
            John

Dark Sider 1020
            Michlin Alpin PA3 ZP
            Centramatic Wheel Balancers

They do work. But I don't use them. I prefer weights.

Myself and dozens in our chapter use them. They work great and none of us have ever had any issues with tire vibration. Yes, they are expensive but for a smoother ride & better tire wear, they can't be beat!

I have greatly enjoyed my Centramatics in times past and still use them on the front wheel. They have always provided a superior ride and a more sure footing for me.

I do see some negative comments about them time to time, always just figured it was due to bad tires, any balance system be it weights to whatever will not fix a out of round tire, or some other mechanical problem.

I use the beads in the rear tires, they work well also. And we do learn as we learn, and I did have some problems with beads sticking in the valve cores, but I was at the time using heavy tire lube paste and have since just started using dish soap and a paint brush and have had no beads get sticky and end up in the valve cores.

Always a reason for a problem and always a solution. Just takes us time to learn sometimes.

Thanks. this is all good info. Sounds over all a good item except for cost. Will have to put them to the test.

I have them on my second GL1800 now & they were on the first GL1800...and I love them so much that I have put them on my pickup & my camper trailer...I would put them on my riding lawn mower if they made them for it.

Let me say this. I LOVE me some Centramatics on my bike. One of the best things I've ever put on my bike, without a doubt. Makes the ride as smooth as a baby's bee-hind, even riding on the gnarliest of rain groove pavement. One of the nice things is, no more having to get new tires balanced. Just put them new shoes on and baby's goin' to town. Yes, they're pricey but well worth it in my humble opinion.
                        TMRA - life member
                        GWRRA - life member
                        AMA - life member
                        IBA # 1626
                        N. Texas PGR

I just put on two tires on my wing,never even looked at balance,lol

wts in the same place,no beads,no centramatics,,,,did a ride today and smooth as silk,lol
                          thanks to the following folks
                          1-traxxion//2-heli bars//3-sierra electronics//4-alley kat exhaust//5-schroaders Honda//6-129 slayer.com//7-killboy.com//8-windbender shields//9-dealsgap.com//10-wingstuff//11-mojo tools

the 24 hrs of deals gap//1001.7 miles//23 hrs and 52 min//29,786 turns
                          avg. 19 mpg

Personally, I have never used beads or the centramatics, I use good old fashion spin balance and weights if needed and it is usually just to offset the TPMS. Never had any problems with this method.
                            Dave - High up in Arizona - Black Metallic 2019 DCT

• orangecrate
                              orangecrate commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Mee too. My bike rolls smooth as glass. Go figure.

Originally posted by MMR View Post
                            I have used them. Got mad as hell at the shop that asked me to try them. After a 5000 mile ride, I made them take these off my bike, give me a new sef of tires, and balance it the original way, with weights.

The issue is thzt these Centramatic wheel balancers can NOT keep the wheels balanced at higher speeds. On my bike...a 2006 Wing at that time, any speeds over 80 mph, the entire front end of the bike would shake, due to lack of balance.

Personally, I will never use them again. I now use the balance beads, and am very happy, even at max speed.
                            I'm thinking the vibration was caused by something other than the centramatics. I've had mine into triple digits, and they are smooth as silk. I absolutely love them!
                            Costa Mesa, CA
                            2012 RED GL1800

I use them and have liked the results. The ride is smooth and my tires seem to last longer and wear better. Just my opinion.......:toast:
                              '12 GL1800 Level 4 & '08 FLHX Darksider #1378

I have had them a year on my 2008 Wing...I love the smooth!

I have used them. Got mad as hell at the shop that asked me to try them. After a 5000 mile ride, I made them take these off my bike, give me a new sef of tires, and balance it the original way, with weights.

The issue is thzt these Centramatic wheel balancers can NOT keep the wheels balanced at higher speeds. On my bike...a 2006 Wing at that time, any speeds over 80 mph, the entire front end of the bike would shake, due to lack of balance.

Originally posted by glarson3 View Post

I'm thinking the vibration was caused by something other than the centramatics. I've had mine into triple digits, and they are smooth as silk. I absolutely love them!
                                  I agree.
                                  It could be that you had a tire that was so far out that the Centramatics could not compensate. I have no idea how much media is in them, but say they have 2 oz and your tire is out 4oz. the Centrimatics wold somewhat balance the wheel/tire, but the faster you go them more pronounced the remaining imbalance would become.

We were a dealer for them at a truck shop that I worked at and that was an issue with the large truck tires. In fact, our Centramatic rep told me that we should still balance the tires with weights first and that due to the mass of the truck tires, their product was mainly intended to maintain balance, not to replace standard balancing with weights.
                                  This really should not apply to smaller tires like ours. If a MC tire is that far out, I would not want it on my bike in the first place.

Did the dealer take them back?
                                    If not, I know someone looking for a set.
                                    John

Dark Sider 1020
                                    Michlin Alpin PA3 ZP
                                    Centramatic Wheel Balancers

love my centramatics and dont plan to go back. nice for me because i mount my own tires and i cant spin balance
                                      Mike n Rhonda
                                      08 Level 3 Pearl White
                                      98 Aspencade - RIP
                                      Support our troops
                                      Daughter - USCG; Son - USMC; Son-in-Law - US Army
                                      Working to make the weekends happen.
                                      :toast:

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page