70 series tires on the rear of a 2002 (1st Gen) 'Wing ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70 series tires on the rear of a 2002 (1st Gen) 'Wing ?

It is my understanding that the 70 series sizing (adding that 10% or approx 3/4 inch) will correct the speedo error.

My -new-to-me 1800 came to me with Bridgestone G709/704 tires.
    I have this far really liked the ride, handling and stickiness of these tires.
    Soon I will have to replace these tires as the front is wearing and cupping and the rear is wearing and I have a big trip coming up in lat summer totaling nearly 6500 miles.

I would like to make the switch to a 70 series rear tire to compensate for the speedo differential. The 60 series normally labeled for the Goldwing causes a speedo error that can be corrected by using the larger (taller) 70 series ; however that creates a few problems according to my research so far.

1) Bridgestone does not make a 70 series in the G70x line for the 'Wing. They DO make an Excedra Max that looks similar but has different tread characteristics and I really like the Bridgestone front 709 but the Excedra line up is similar but different...

2) The Dunlop EIII's are available in the 70 series tire - but that one is not the multi-tread compound like the 60 series EIII is ..? And while I ahve had them on my 1500 and they seemed okay , many have expressed a profound dislike for the EIII tire by Dunlop as being a noisy and perhaps poor handling tire...

Does anyone have any real world experience with a 70 series tire that they would share? I am really looking to make this switch and have a speedo that is close to accurate.

Thanks

I ran the E-3 70 series until 2009 and switched to a car tire. I found the E-3 to work great front and rear for all kinds of riding.
    '04 Titanium ABS
    Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195-55-16
    Bridgestone BT-45 130/70-18
    Member - E. CLAMPUS VITUS
    Free Grazer IBA #22990
    NRA, Elks, and too many others
    Yuma, AZ

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I ran nothing but 70 series E3 rears on my 05. Got great mileage and it had the added benefit of a higher load rating.
      I think the 70 had deeper tread depth too.

Try a 70 series Avon Cobra or just know that your speedo is always off by a little. I had the same feeling about the EIII. I ended up going back to a 60 series tire after a few 70 series. Now I have a 2012 without the speedo problem, and run the 704/709 combo.
        Costa Mesa, CA
        2012 RED GL1800

I been running e3 70 series for about 5,000 miles so far and I like it, so far its wearing good and no noise. I like the lower rpm when running higher speeds and first gear doesn't feel like your trying to pull out stumps.

I used a "70" series up until I went darkside about 200,000 miles ago and would not go back. I recall that Bridgestone 70 side walls were not as stiff as E3s or Avons and most seemed to prefer the latter.I went with the Avons and had very good results.

Has anyone used the Bridgestone Excedra tires ? They are not the G704/G709 tires but a cruiser tire - recommended for the Valkyrie as well available in radial ?
              These also seem to be a choice to get a reasonable decent tire and still go to the 70 series.

I've been using the Bridgestone Excedra 70 series for several years. On an '02 and an '09. They work fine for me and give me good mileage. They are OEM for Valkyrie, so at least Honda.
                You do need to run higher pressure than a 60 due to the sidewalls. But they carry the weight without any problems. I run at about 45psi cold. Never had any delaminations or similar manufacture quality problems.
                Getting them in place is not as easy because they are a smidge wider, but much easier than a car tyre.
                I usually get 17,000km (10,000 miles) out of them. I've tried Dunlops (too hard and no good in the wet) Metzler Marathon ( softer and very grippy but don't last 10,000km) and am currently trying out some Avons which seem to be a bit like the Metzler.
                Think I'll go back to Bridgestones for the next set.

I've also done several thousand on a car tyre and loved the wear or lack thereof, but not happy with the characteristics of ride and handling. Each to their own.

Well -- I made my decision and placed an order - the new tires will be here next week.
                  I went with the G702 70 series rear tire for the Valkyrie (but they also were listed as Goldwing tires from the place I purchase them)
                  I stayed with the G709 Front tire as I like the one that is on the bike...
                  AND I purchased the Centramatics for the bike - I know it may be snake oil, or beads can do the same thing, but these seem like the real deal and they are easy (I Like easy)
                  It will be a few weeks before I get them ON and riding around -- but after some exhaustive research this seemed to be the best option for ME - right NOW.

Are you only interested in correcting the speedo? Try the Speedohealer from Healtech. Bigbird seems to be pleased with how it functions.
                    George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

Wingsconsin keep us informed on the centramatics i have reading good things about them those who are using say they work great. Cyclemax has a great price on them wanting them myself as for 70 series tires i have never tried one. I am a darksider i love getting at lease 30,000 miles per tire. Plus its a lot cheaper
                      2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

Just a quick note about the 70 series tire and the Centramatics.
                        I installed them this past weekend. The Centramatics were the easy part of the tire change .
                        The front 2 simply bolt on behind the rotor and the rear one slips onto the lugs behind the wheel.
                        Now it may be unfair as I also changed to new rubber but the ride seemed very smooth and the wobble I had from the old cupped front tire was gone completely. I managed a few hundred miles on Sunday and the bike rode great
                        The 70 Series G702 corrected the speedo error to dead on according to my GPS and the handling seemed the same.
                        The only issue I have so far is a bit of noise from the FRONT tire (I think it may need a few pounds more air - currently set at 38 but I am going to go up to 40)
                        Certainly longevity will be monitored - but I have a little trip planned for later this year (6500 miles) and I should now by the end of that run how this pans out.

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                          Just a quick note about the 70 series tire and the Centramatics.
                          I installed them this past weekend. The Centramatics were the easy part of the tire change .
                          The front 2 simply bolt on behind the rotor and the rear one slips onto the lugs behind the wheel.
                          Now it may be unfair as I also changed to new rubber but the ride seemed very smooth and the wobble I had from the old cupped front tire was gone completely. I managed a few hundred miles on Sunday and the bike rode great
                          The 70 Series G702 corrected the speedo error to dead on according to my GPS and the handling seemed the same.
                          The only issue I have so far is a bit of noise from the FRONT tire (I think it may need a few pounds more air - currently set at 38 but I am going to go up to 40)
                          Certainly longevity will be monitored - but I have a little trip planned for later this year (6500 miles) and I should now by the end of that run how this pans out.
                          I ran a few 70 series tires on my 03, and nothing but 70s on my 05. I tried both Bridgestone and E3s.
                          I liked the Stone for the first few miles, but early on it established an odd wear pattern (rear) that became very noisy and by 12,000 miles was pretty much finished. As I said, the wear pattern was very odd and I was really happy to be rid of it.
                          After that I stuck with E3's and would never get less than 18,000 miles from a set and once got 21,000, but in all honesty, I really went too long on that one.

I don't really recall any noise from the Stones when new though. What kind of noise are you hearing?

BTW, I switched back to the 60 on my 2010. I still use E3's but the speedo is correct with the smaller tire and I think the gearing feels right with the smaller tire.
                          I do miss the slight increase in lean angle with the taller tire though, and am considering going back to it, but then my speedo will be off. :-(

Originally posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
                            Are you only interested in correcting the speedo? Try the Speedohealer from Healtech. Bigbird seems to be pleased with how it functions.
                            Sorry I didn't find this thread a few weeks ago, or earlier. Here is my experience on this matter:

I went through the same ordeal many years ago, wanting to correct the speedo being off, and "tried" using the 70 series rear tires...meant for the Valkyrie...and was not at all happy with the wear of that tire. Then I found the SpeedHealer, by HealTech. All 4 of my GL-1800s since then have had the SpeedHealer installed on them, and it works perfectly. You can dial it in to read the exact same speed as your GPS.

Given out choices of tires available....and the speedo error that bikes come with, I would not ride a GL-1800 without the SpeedHealer on it. It works that well. Easy to install, out of sight, out of mind, and once install and dialed in, you never have to touch it again.

Currently, I am a Darkside rider, and use the Michelin Primacy Alpin 3 run-flat, and will NOT go back to a MT on the rear.

Centramatic Wheel Balancers........tried them....hated them......will NEVER use them again. Why ? it is very simple. it is a device that was designed originally for BIG trucks..18 wheelers, and on those vehicles they work great. But on a motorcycle, where the balancers are in a smaller diameter circle, to fit on the hub area of the wheel, behind the brake rotors, the diameter of the balancer is much smaller. And....with the speeds that a motorcycle "can" go, those small ball bearings inside that circular tube have a hard time keeping up with the rotational speed of the larger diameter of the motorcycle tire. My experience is the Centermatic balancers worked fine for all speeds UNDER 85 mph. Bike was smooth as glass. But on MY bike, when I rode above 85 mph, and especially above 90 mph, I had a very bad tire balance shake, that was so bad , it limited my speed.

I complained about it.....we removed the Centramatic Balancers, balanced the same tires the old fashioned way...NOTHING else was changed on the bike....and now the bike was smooth at any speed, up to 131 mph.

Currently I use the ceramic balance beads in both my tires, and love it. Since I have powder-coated wheels on my Wings, I will continue to use the ceramic beads to balance my tires, so I don't have wheel weights stuck to the powder-coated wheels.

The Centramatic Balancers are a nice product.....for large trucks....where the diameter of the tube for the ball bearings are more closely matched to the diameter of the truck tires. No, I am not saying they are the same diameters, but the ones used on large trucks are a large enough diameter, and the trucks travel at a much lower speed, with a LOT more weight on the tires, that they do not feel any balance issues like a motorcycle can. In ratio....the balancers used for the motorcycle tires are a much smaller diameter ratio compared to the MT tire size, than what the ones used for the trucks, when comparing the truck balancers diameter to the trucks tires. Getting those balancer ball bearings to spin inside that smaller diameter circle on a motorcycle........the ball bearings could not keep up with the speed of the large diameter tire on the bikes.

If anyone travels at lower speeds, they will not notice this issue. I sincerely hope they work for you.

Originally posted by jmohme View Post

I ran a few 70 series tires on my 03, and nothing but 70s on my 05. I tried both Bridgestone and E3s.
                              I liked the Stone for the first few miles, but early on it established an odd wear pattern (rear) that became very noisy and by 12,000 miles was pretty much finished. As I said, the wear pattern was very odd and I was really happy to be rid of it.
                              After that I stuck with E3's and would never get less than 18,000 miles from a set and once got 21,000, but in all honesty, I really went too long on that one.

I don't really recall any noise from the Stones when new though. What kind of noise are you hearing?

BTW, I switched back to the 60 on my 2010. I still use E3's but the speedo is correct with the smaller tire and I think the gearing feels right with the smaller tire.
                              I do miss the slight increase in lean angle with the taller tire though, and am considering going back to it, but then my speedo will be off. :-(
                              What I hear is a hum sound -- I think the tire needs a few more lbs of air.
                              Currently it is at 38 ...but my old one worked well at 41 .
                              It MAY be the Centramatics ; but I doubt it... Anything new is in the learning and experiment phase for me and this bike now.
                              My old 1500 I had dialed in to near perfection - but I also had it 10 years and 130,000 miles...so there was a lot of 'tinkering'

I have not had the bike with the Centramatics over 85 yet...But I am sure I will...
                              Too early to tell for sure...but my coming 6500+ mile trip should give me some experience and knowledge to share.

Maybe I've just been lucky but I haven't balanced a tire on this bike yet, and still haven't "felt" the need.

I like the OEM Stones too. I'm on my 3rd G704 rear and 2nd G709 front... these are absolutely phenomenally matched tires for the GL1800. I've been tempted for a while to try a CT for the lower cost and longer use... but I can't get away from the performance of the Stones!

I have a white dot on my rims near the valve stem, that, apparantly indicates the heavy spot. When I change tires, I line up the yellow dot on the tire with the white dot on the rim and so far none have vibrated, rattled, shimmied, shaked, or anything else. I know I won't always be so lucky, but putting that yellow dot near the valve stem should help the balance naturally.

As an alternative to Centramatic, I hear people saying good things about DynaBeads. I'd like to try these one day.
                                George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

I have used the Dynabeads on my GL1500 in the past for several sets of tires and they always worked fine.
                                  I changed to Centramatics for this bike because I think the science makes sense, and I wanted to try something easier than beads
                                  So far they seem great - but I only have a few 100 miles on it right now..
                                  But I will be putting on 6000+ over the next 20 days...

Originally posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
                                    Maybe I've just been lucky but I haven't balanced a tire on this bike yet, and still haven't "felt" the need.

I like the OEM Stones too. I'm on my 3rd G704 rear and 2nd G709 front... these are absolutely phenomenally matched tires for the GL1800. I've been tempted for a while to try a CT for the lower cost and longer use... but I can't get away from the performance of the Stones!

I have a white dot on my rims near the valve stem, that, apparantly indicates the heavy spot. When I change tires, I line up the yellow dot on the tire with the white dot on the rim and so far none have vibrated, rattled, shimmied, shaked, or anything else. I know I won't always be so lucky, but putting that yellow dot near the valve stem should help the balance naturally.

As an alternative to Centramatic, I hear people saying good things about DynaBeads. I'd like to try these one day.
                                    I have always balanced with plain old lead weights.

The reason that I don't buy into Centrimatics or beads is the same reason that most that use them do.
                                    The ability for these systems to adapt as the balance of a tire changes sounds good, and in the days of bias tires and before todays improved tire manufacturing processes, that would make sense.
                                    The balance of modern tires however, usually don't change much, if any throughout their serviceable life, unless there is some sort of damage or flaw to the tire.

I would much rather feel the change when my tire goes out of balance so that I can investigate the reason for the change and repair or replace the tire as needed.

Originally posted by MMR View Post

Currently, I am a Darkside rider, and use the Michelin Primacy Alpin 3 run-flat, and will NOT go back to a MT on the rear.

Centramatic Wheel Balancers........tried them....hated them......will NEVER use them again. Why ? it is very simple. it is a device that was designed originally for BIG trucks..18 wheelers, and on those vehicles they work great. But on a motorcycle, where the balancers are in a smaller diameter circle, to fit on the hub area of the wheel, behind the brake rotors, the diameter of the balancer is much smaller. And....with the speeds that a motorcycle "can" go, those small ball bearings inside that circular tube have a hard time keeping up with the rotational speed of the larger diameter of the motorcycle tire. My experience is the Centermatic balancers worked fine for all speeds UNDER 85 mph. Bike was smooth as glass. But on MY bike, when I rode above 85 mph, and especially above 90 mph, I had a very bad tire balance shake, that was so bad , it limited my speed.

I complained about it.....we removed the Centramatic Balancers, balanced the same tires the old fashioned way...NOTHING else was changed on the bike....and now the bike was smooth at any speed, up to 131 mph.

Currently I use the ceramic balance beads in both my tires, and love it. Since I have powder-coated wheels on my Wings, I will continue to use the ceramic beads to balance my tires, so I don't have wheel weights stuck to the powder-coated wheels.

The Centramatic Balancers are a nice product.....for large trucks....where the diameter of the tube for the ball bearings are more closely matched to the diameter of the truck tires. No, I am not saying they are the same diameters, but the ones used on large trucks are a large enough diameter, and the trucks travel at a much lower speed, with a LOT more weight on the tires, that they do not feel any balance issues like a motorcycle can. In ratio....the balancers used for the motorcycle tires are a much smaller diameter ratio compared to the MT tire size, than what the ones used for the trucks, when comparing the truck balancers diameter to the trucks tires. Getting those balancer ball bearings to spin inside that smaller diameter circle on a motorcycle........the ball bearings could not keep up with the speed of the large diameter tire on the bikes.

If anyone travels at lower speeds, they will not notice this issue. I sincerely hope they work for you.
                                      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                                      I have been using Centramatics for Four Years and have absolutely no problems with them -- I have had my Goldwing in triple digits several times loaded and unloaded with passenger and solo and never an issue. O'Yes I also run a Car Tire, just removed my Goodyear TriplTred 205/60R16 with slightly over 40,000 Miles on it and now running a Dunlop Sport SP5000 195/60R16.

Both these Rear Tires have corrected the Speedometer on my 2006 Goldwing.

Northern Dancer,

Ron
                                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                                      [FONT=Arial]2008 Nomad 1600 Shaft Drive[/FONT]
                                      [FONT=Arial]2005 Executive Burgman 650cc[/FONT]
                                      [FONT=Arial]2006 ST1300cc Police Special W/B[/FONT]
                                      [FONT=Arial]2006 Goldwing 1832cc Comfort Pkg.[/FONT]
                                      [FONT=Arial]2006 Volkswagen TDI Diesel with DSG
                                      Darksider GL1800 Burgman 650 ST1300PA Nomad 1600[/FONT]

Update -
                                        Just returned from a 6500 mile 2 week trip.
                                        I had the chance to test my new tires and centramatics extensively on twisty roads, and high speeds.
                                        Long days run at 80+MPH with a couple of high speed rides up to 115 once and a top out at 120 as well
                                        The bike rode smooth as silk all through the speed ranges. - The centramatics and the 70 series rear tire (G702 Bridgestone) liked each other just fin.
                                        The speedo was nearly spot on and the handling was fine as evidenced by the drag scratches on both sides pegs.
                                        For me - the 70 series works well. Longevity is yet to be determined but after 6500 miles the tires still look really good.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page