Oil level

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil level

First I don't want to start a debate on how the best way to check the oil level as they seem to get carried away. But I hope the engineer who designed the sump, as Johnny Carson would say, may have the fleas from a thousand camels infest his privates. Really, cant we have a sump where you just pull the stick and wipe it off and them reinsert said dip stick and pull it out for a reading. Again, may the fleas of a thousand camels infest his privates.

You are being to kind to that engineer.
    Richard
    Darksider #390
    Murgie's FAQ

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I was trying to be somewhat civil. But......

Why not a window to view the level? My ST1100 had one and made checking the oil a heck of a lot easier. Also could see the oil getting blacker over the course of the riding season.
        "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

I am not sure I understand the problem. It does not seem that difficult to do this procedure but my KTM and Yamaha dirt bikes do have the windows and they are nice.
          Dave - Arizona - 2012/GL1800

I too am confused. The very thing you say you want is exactly what i do to check my oil. What does the sump have to do with your dipstick. Do you have some other setup we don't know about ? Curious minds want to know

• Rick S
              Rick S commented
              Editing a comment
              Oil is in the sump.

Originally posted by Rick S View Post
            First I don't want to start a debate on how the best way to check the oil level as they seem to get carried away. But I hope the engineer who designed the sump, as Johnny Carson would say, may have the fleas from a thousand camels infest his privates. Really, cant we have a sump where you just pull the stick and wipe it off and them reinsert said dip stick and pull it out for a reading. Again, may the fleas of a thousand camels infest his privates.

I scared to think what you might wish on the engineer that designed the air filter location,

LOL! Well, that engineer may very well be dead and gone. My 1989 CB-1 uses the same oil check procedure and I bet it was used long before then also.
              [SIZE=12px][FONT=Arial]--Rob[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12px][FONT=Arial]'10 NT700VA (Wife's)
              '09 Metallic Silver GL18BM-Heli-MMTE[/FONT]
              [FONT=Arial]'89 CB1[/FONT][/SIZE]

I must be missing something. Can someone explain this exotic oil check procedure you are using that requires such punishment for the designer???

Read the book. Too lazy to type it out, lol. My cars I just pull the stick and wipe it off and stick it back in and pull it out and bam there it is.

I have not tried to change air filter yet so I will figure that out appropriate punishment later.

Read the book? Who does that ? We were all born with the innate skills to check the oil. I can only guess, since I am NOT going to read the book, that something Rube Goldberg like was written and you were actually crazy enough to open the book and read it

This is time for a valuable lesson. Don't read the book

When all else fails read the instructions.
                      GL1800 8A - TRIUMPH SCRAMBLER 900

I guess ignorance is bliss....of course that also means you may not be keeping the proper oil level in the bike, but these things don't really burn much if any oil ever so why Honda even has a oil measuring device is beyond me.
                        Originally posted by lordzarkon View Post
                        Read the book? Who does that ? We were all born with the innate skills to check the oil. I can only guess, since I am NOT going to read the book, that something Rube Goldberg like was written and you were actually crazy enough to open the book and read it

This is time for a valuable lesson. Don't read the book
                        [SIZE=12px][FONT=Arial]--Rob[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12px][FONT=Arial]'10 NT700VA (Wife's)
                        '09 Metallic Silver GL18BM-Heli-MMTE[/FONT]
                        [FONT=Arial]'89 CB1[/FONT][/SIZE]

Rick S, I can only tell you from "my" own personal experience of having owned a LOT of motorcycles, and...having owned 4 of these GL1800's......and I do NOT know what your experience with these GL1800s is....but.....after having ridden close to 400,000 miles on GL1800's, I do NOT check my oil. Period !

These bikes do not burn oil. I change my oil and filter every 5000(ish) miles. Never have I lost oil between oil changes. I drain out almost 4 quarts of oil....I refill it with 4 new quarts of oil. Change the filter every time, and a new drain plug gasket, and the bike runs flawlessly for the next 5000 miles.

Ride...Change Oil and filter...Repeat.

If there is a reason to be checking the oil level on a GL1800...you will know there is a problem with the bike before needing to find out how much oil is left in the engine.

And..Yes, I have been riding for over 45 years...and yes...I have checked the oil all the time on all my older English bikes, my HDs, my pre-GL1800 bikes, etc. But there is not a need to on a GL1800.

MMR. I was bored and thought lets just look and see the oil level. None of my Hondas never used oil. Just did it for grins. Won't do that again.

I also don't like having to pull plastic parts off the bike to check the oil level. A sight glass would be nice but access to the dipstick without pulling anything off would be nice as well.
                              Captain Roadsmith, Northwest Indiana
                              '06 Wing / Roadsmith HT1800

Originally posted by Captain Roadsmith View Post
                                I also don't like having to pull plastic parts off the bike to check the oil level. A sight glass would be nice but access to the dipstick without pulling anything off would be nice as well.
                                That's why I got a new set of lower engine covers with the dipstick mounted on the outside. Now it is quicker than with a car. Ride Safe. Doc
                                2014 Hannigan

Originally posted by Doc View Post

That's why I got a new set of lower engine covers with the dipstick mounted on the outside. Now it is quicker than with a car. Ride Safe. Doc
                                  Doc, pictures please. Did you buy these (where) or were they a DIY project?

I think if mother Honda was actually concerned about owners checking oil levels on a Goldwing engine they would have designed the engine covers to allow pulling the dipstick. I have my oil and filter changed every 4k miles and never check oil level.

Neglect? I know some will accuse me of that but on the rare occasions that I pulled the dipstick I never found a need to add oil on my previous Goldwing as the miles accumulated.
                                    Harvey Barlow
                                    Crosby County, TX
                                    2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
                                    2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

Originally posted by HBarlow View Post
                                      I think if mother Honda was actually concerned about owners checking oil levels on a Goldwing engine they would have designed the engine covers to allow pulling the dipstick. I have my oil and filter changed every 4k miles and never check oil level.

Neglect? I know some will accuse me of that but on the rare occasions that I pulled the dipstick I never found a need to add oil on my previous Goldwing as the miles accumulated.
                                      Ya know, you're right. I've been riding Goldwings since '93 and have checked the oil level only after I change it....
                                      I guess if I had an oil burner or a leaker It might be more important to keep an eye on the level.

• HBarlow
                                        HBarlow commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        We own the best touring motorcycles ever built with engines proven to run 400+ thousand miles and more by our peers on the websites. I think you'll be safe without ever going to the trouble of checking it.
                                    Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page